“Treat yourself to this delightful Private Tour”
Review of Art Deco Tours

Miami South Beach Art Deco Walking Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take the #1 walking tour in South Beach with the most popular tour guides in the district. Art Deco Tours, Inc.will enlighten and entertain you with fascinating facts and stories. Two hours will fly by fast. Stroll along Ocean Drive and learn about the history, the unlikely hero who saved the Art Deco buildings, the role of Hollywood and the mob. You'll learn and admire the architecture from the outside and design & decor on the inside. You will become experts in Art Deco by the end of the tour! Daily small group tours (max 8-9 people) are offered several times a day, for that personal engagement and VIP access to select buildings not permitted to large groups. Enrich your visit and learn about the culture, history and architecture of South Beach beyond the beaches! Price starts at $30 per person. Private tours also available any day or time. We also offer LITTLE HAVANA TOURS. Be sure to click the link for our web-site to learn about all our tours.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was our second tour with Christine and Art Deco Tours. www.artdecotours.com

I live about an hour away from South Beach, but how often do you take a tour in your own backyard?

Our first tour with Christine was her "Art Deco" tour. It was so enjoyable and informative that I couldn't wait for an excuse to book another tour.

This chance came when a group of friends and I decided to book her "SOFI" tour…South of Fifth Street….which included discussion, sights and history relating to the settlement and development of this area by the first Jewish residents….sort of a Jewish history walking tour.

While this tour included sights of Jewish historical, religious, and cultural interest, it certainly wasn't limited to just the Jewish residents.

In fact, Christine went through the history of this area decade by decade discussing its development and evolution by ALL the various groups who contributed to making this place the vibrant and diverse area it is today. Many of these groups initially faced fierce legal and de facto discrimination….especially Jews and African Americans….and Christine describes how these groups, and the Hispanic population as well, eventually had an enormous positive impact on the unique city you see today. These are insights you could not possibly get wandering the streets on your own !!

My FAVORITE parts of BOTH tours, the Art Deco tour and the SOFI tour, were when Christine escorted us into the fabulous lobbies of some of the most notable Art Deco hotels in South Beach to see UP CLOSE the influence of Art Deco design…..places where "the beautiful people" stay.

Each time we were WARMLY greeted by hotel staff who obviously recognized Christine as a frequent visitor.

In these impressive art deco lobbies, we were just fascinated by Christine's explanation of the Art Deco symbolism, construction materials, workmanship. You won't see this type of art preservation anywhere else. And you could do this only in a small group.

NO BIG BUS TOURS CAN INCLUDE AN EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS !!!!!

Christine pointed out the important landmarks and introduced us to the prominent personalities responsible for the architecture and design and business development of this area. Of course she mentioned the guys with the "mega-bucks" who had the initial dreams and made the initial investments. But she also discussed the people who only had time, talent, and skills to add to this dream. You could not find these personal stories in a guide book.

Christine and her fellow tour guide, John, provide all this information to you in SMALL groups using microphones so everyone can hear a clear explanation. They do it all in an engaging, friendly, charming, and fun-filled way. They are incredibly well-prepared.

In this small group….no crowding….no waiting….no distractions...no souvenir stops.

This is not just a boring recitation of dates and facts by tour guides for whom this is just a job. For Christine and John, this is so obviously their PASSION.

Thank you, Christine and John.

1  Thank pacosmom
"private tour"
in 25 reviews
"wealth of knowledge"
in 13 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 18 reviews
in 13 reviews
"great art"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 12, 2014

John was a great tour guide and raconteur. I had strolled these streets on my own and did not realize what I was missing. The history and architecture details were very good. Being able to get into some of the locations made it worth the trip.

2  Thank Bos2traveler
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had been to South Beach in the past and ate and drank in some of the places on this tour, but once the tour was completed I had a whole new way of looking at South Beach. Thanks especially to our tour guide, John, an interesting,intelligent,articulate,knowledgeable and witty docent. Rare as hen's teeth to find a guide so informed!

1  Thank vrubino
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We love this walking tour, but we learned the hard way about their payment policies. Here's our advice, don't book and pay until you are actually IN Miami.

We are returning customers, we bring people from the UK through Miami frequently, and we expected to return to this walk each time. This week disaster(s) hit us the day before. I called to explain our problem and that it would be impossible for us to be at the walk the next day. They were lovely on the phone but would not even allow us a credit for a future walk, let alone our money back. After my second request I didn't even get a return call.

So, be warned and time your payment - Miami is a volatile place and you never know what might happen.

As I run a small business myself, I'm very aware of the importance of cash flow. I am also aware of the importance of caring for your customers too. As a discerning customer, from now on I will get to Miami, check into the hotel, and only then call to make a payment. If they are full, fair enough; there is so much more to do in Miami. If they are available, then we will love the walk again. Just know that payment in advance is a one way relationship when it comes to trust.

6  Thank SunnieSue
Christine M, Owner at Art Deco Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Greetings Sue,
We thank you for recommending our tours. After reading your review, please know we did return your call and left a message when there was no answer. I personally returned your call and left a message. Then you and I spoke within the hour. The next morning my assistant also called you to double check if you were able to find accommodations and make it to the tour. So in total we spoke three times. Customer Service is our number one priority.

It's unfortunate the Winterhaven hotel lost your reservation. I personally received news of guests coming to visit within 24 hours and found a few hotels within a reasonable range. I'm sorry you did not find hotels to your liking.

We are a boutique tour operator where we only take a very small group, maximum 8 or 9. This is in part what makes our tours very popular. The holiday season is busiest time of year and we do sell out. It hurts us significantly if we refunded every request. In most cases we have no way of verifying "the emergency".

We value repeat customers and I would be willing to extend a complimentary tour for you and a guest. Please for an email in the next couple of days.

Thank you again for your interest in taking our tours and sharing our intriguing history and architecture with your guests.

We wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Christine was great! She involved the children, kept a solid pace, and customized the tour entirely to her audience. During the tour we walked by groups of 20 or more people and we couldn't understand how it was even possible to enjoy a tour like that. Thank you Christine for being such a good sport and making this such an enjoyable tour.

Christine M, Manager at Art Deco Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Greetings Eran!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Indeed that is what makes our tours popular, including the great value--small groups for that personal touch--easy interaction, accessibility to interiors of hotels not permitted to large groups, flexibility for families with children in strollers or individuals in wheelchairs. All for $30 per person!

It was a pleasure to meet your family. Your children were so well behaved --a definite credit to your parenting skills!

We look forward to your return in the future for our other tours!
Happy New Year,
Christine

Been to Art Deco Tours? Share your experiences!