“Enjoyed, just asking prices before serving!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Medi Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Medi Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Hillegom, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed, just asking prices before serving!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were there the first week of december, after strolling up and down in Ocean Drive we decide to sit and have one of those mega-drinks and something to eat. We expect anyway to pay above average prices, hey at the end is Ocean Drive on South Beach!!!
But anyway, I can say we have not encoutered any rip-off like all the other reviews indicates here!!
We are three of us, we order 1 x Pinacolada 1 x Margarita, we pay 30$ TOTAL for both, plus we ask for some advice for eating, and they offer us a big 2-person paella to share with lot of clams, shrimps, topped with big lobster tail, lobster claws and crab legs, we pay 120$ !! (See the pictures to get an idea what I talking about).
It might be on the upper end, but I think VERY reasonable, lot of food, good quality, and definitely not a rip-off !
Lucky ?? Maybe. What we have done is just asking the prices twice before sitting and be sure of the prices of the drink...and at the end we have paid what they have said us.
Definitely happy...we cannot say otherwise

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mauri_D65

“We left....twice!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

This place is INSANELY over priced we tried to go while staying at the congress. We got up and left after looking at the menu and refusing to pay$45 for and appetizer!!! Then tried again for a drink....mixed drink fishbowl =$50!! Small drink= $20!!! Get a life!!!

1 Thank cntrygurl625
“Over priced for average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Service was good, food was good but nothing special. Music was a bit too loud for eating, fine if your a 20 something drinking up at the bar

Visited November 2012
Bristol, UK
“Believe what you read and AVOID!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Ok - personally I would never have picked this place, but we were meeting friends in South Beach and we arrived later than them, so by the time we got there, they were already settled with those ridiculous fishbowl drinks, therefore we had no choice but to join them.

The aforementioned drinks consisted of some kind of tequila slushie and 2 bottles of corona that drip feed into the drinks - it was these drinks and the promise of the 'Happy Hour' flyer that had tempted our friends into choosing this place. However, once drinks had been ordered, we were then promptly told that Happy Hour had ended (why are they still handing out flyers to promote this then?) I certainly didn't want one of those drinks, so asked if they had any 'normal' drinks, and the reply I got was 'yes, beer in a boot'. I have no idea what the volume of the boot was, but I left a third of it.

Prices?? Well my memory fails me, but I do remember that the prices were ridiculous - my boot cost me $20-25 I think, and those fishbowls cost at least $50 I think! Price of the food however, was remarkably cheap. And there's a reason for that...It's beyond average. I had a pizza for $15 and it was exactly the same as those frozen pizzas you can buy at the supermarket. They also messed up our order, but did give us complimentary tequila shots.

However the worst thing about this place is the traffic!!! Anyone who is anyone heads to South Beach on a Friday night, and the amount of people posing in their cars is extraordinary. Needless to say, sat on the pavement, the fumes from the traffic was completely unbearable - it made me quite sick and dizzy!

Also, if you venture to the toilets inside the restaurant, you'll see that inside, the place is totally deserted and that the whole buzzing atmosphere outside is a complete fake and only achieved by the enormous, overpriced and hideous drinks being served.

Don't go here - just don't! It will ruin your evening.

• Visited November 2012
“Stay away!!!! Run from this place!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

TOTAL RIPOFF! KEEP ON WALKING! We were lured in with promises of 10.00 drinks and a big poster of 9.99 menu items. Obviously sounded like a good deal compared to the prices of other restaurants in the area. Once seated, they gave us a drink menu and a regular menu. No prices on the drink menu and we had to beg for a menu that reflected the 9.99 dishes out on the sidewalk area. We were also told by the waiter that the drinks are buy one get one free. So my husband and I each got one since we were told earlier they were only $10. They ended up bringing out these giant fishbowl drinks. Food was mediocre. I asked the idiot waiter twice for a cup of water before my husband had to get up and go to the bar to get one. However, they had a young man bringing out sparkling water. We immediately stopped him from pouring us the water thinking we would be charged for it. When we got our bill, they charged us 55.00 for one drink, another 20.00 for a beer, and the total was over 120.00 for mediocre food and drinks. Plus an outlandish gratuity charge. This place should be SHUT DOWN! TOTAL RIPOFF. FOR THAT MONEY WE COULD HAVE EATEN SOMEPLACE REALLY AWESOME IN SOBE. We tried to argue the bill with the waiter but they started getting aggressive with us so we paid and left. Should have called the cops.

1 Thank RudderBird