“Good chow!”
Review of Mr Chow

Mr Chow
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr Chow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 1,102 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Nautilus
Cross street: 22nd and Collins
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Expensive but worth it. Very good food and excellent service. My daughter loved it as she was unfamiliar with good Chinese food and the head waiter was really helpful.
Ask for a table outside

There are newer reviews for Mr Chow

Reviewed November 3, 2012

food and service amazing!!! recommend the pekin duck and the fried beef!! also enjoy a drink in the bar

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am utterly shocked about the ridiculously clumsy service my husband and I received at Mr Chow last night. Oh my goodness. I received far classier service at some canteens' at university time...

The place was recommended to us by friends, but I wish we had trusted some of the reviews here instead! Yes, it looks awesome, elegant, clean. The kind of standard you would expect from a restaurant in a "W" hotel. Unfortunately the substance is completely missing.

We "only" had to wait ten minutes at the bar, which is ok for Miami, I guess (not at all normal in Europe, I'd say, but that's a different story); bar tenders were lovely and my "Inception" cocktail was good (a pretty girly cocktail with a coconut aftertaste). My husband's moscow mule wasn't a moscow mule, but it tasted good at least.

Here starts the disaster. We were very kindly greeted by our first server, Alec (may not be the correct spelling, but similar). He is the only guy we dealt with who has an idea of how to serve people according to the standard the place is aiming for. He knowledgeably introduced a few options without being pushy, and left us to read through the menu. From that moment, we were left at the table for 15 minutes with a bottle of water, but without being able to order wine or food. An extremely clumsy guy showed up then and took the wine list away without taking the order; he was surprised when my husband told him we still wanted to order wine and food.

Our good Alec was back and took the order; he advised on some suitable dishes since I cannot eat spicy food.

After a few minutes, Mr Clumsy was back! He had NO CLUE whatsoever what he was serving us! He put a plate on the table and announced "this is the duck!". My husband looked at him and said that that was not what we ordered and we were waiting on the beef tongue for starter. "That's right, that's the beef tongue" was the answer. The scene repeated itself for each dish we were served. It seemed like the guy had never been to that restaurant before. He was so clueless I had a laughing fit!

During dinner, we had FIVE different waiters running (yes, running, not walking) back and forth from our table to pour more water into our completely full glasses, take away sauces we were still using, ask three times within ten minutes if we wanted to order more water or wine (glasses still full). Attentive service is nice, trying too hard is just clumsy.

The food. "The box' (meat dumplings) was nice, but I've had better dumplings. The crispy duck roll was fat (fried), but tasty. The rest was not bad, but quite boring.

The highlight of the evening was not the chef yelling while he makes his little (cheesy) noodles' show, but one of the waiters (maybe a manager?) yelling (yes!) at two of his colleagues because they were not putting cutlery on tables "in the right order". Fair enough, but maybe a conversation to have when there are no guests around?

18% gratuity is already added to your bill; that's maybe why the restaurant management does not put any effort or money into properly training its staff. Still, it says on the bill that guests are free to increase or decrease the gratuity. We decided to decrease it. 18% on a 250$ bill for two for average food and catastrophic service is a theft.

It's such a shame as the place is so cool. My advice is: stay away.

1  Thank MrsPerfectBerlin
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The reason that I am giving Mr Chow any stars at all is beacuse the actual flavor of the food was pleasant. Otherwise, this was a very expensive, disappointing experience we do not wish to repeat.

To begin, our table was not ready until 30 minutes after our reservation time. This may be standard practice in Miami (I don't know), but it is not customary in the restaurants we normally frequent. The service staff seemed to range from uninterested to downright rude. Our waiter really seemed put out that he had to inturrupt his day to speak with us at all. I guess since the gratuity is already included there is no real motivation to make an effort. Otherwise, our food and drink was delivered correctly and in a reasonably timely manner. We did have to ask twice for one of our drink orders though.

As I mentioned above, the quality of the food was good. No better, however, than someplace like P. F. Chang's. The portion size was laughable though (we really did laugh). The Crispy Beef entre we ordered ($28) was not large enough to satisfy an infant, and I am not sure that I could identify any actual beef in the dish. The duck that we also ordered looked like the small leftover scraps from someone else's Peking Duck. Usually with Chinese you are hungry an hour later. At Mr Chow's we left hungry with a $140 tab for two people.

Next time we want Chinese in Miami I'm sure that we will be happier elsewhere.

2  Thank stainged04
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We celebrated our 10 year anniversary dinner there and it was wonderful. The restaurant was gorgeous. The staff was attentive and intuitive. Our waiter made excellent suggestions. We ordered the cocktails with our salt & pepper calamari appetizer. For the main course we ordered the duck and baby bok choy. I highly recommend Mr. Chow for a special occasion.