“Worst dining experience ever”
Review of The Pershing - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Description: Bar Restaurant
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Please note that this property has multiple names with the same address - I wonder why! Columbus Restaurant & The Pershing that I could find all with the same types of reviews, terrible and over-priced rip-offs.

Diners beware ... we got the usual hustle walking by - 25% off meals and something about drinks, but their music was competing with the restaurant next door, I could not hear what the specifics were.

I ordered a bourdon and coke as I know to stay away from the $35 giant glass margaritas and mojitos. My partner wanted a lemon, lime and bitters, but our waitress had no idea what this was and called the head waiter who said if we don't order what's on the drinks menu, we may not get what we want and will still have to pay for it. Okay better be safe...water please.

I ordered the chicken parmigiana, can't go wrong with that, and my partner a colony burger. While waiting for the meals, I finished my drink and placed the empty glass at the tables edge so it could be seen by the waitress, however, she was nowhere to be seen and did not reappear for what seemed like 10 minutes, in the end I had to grab the attention of the table hustlers, indicating I wanted another drink.

The meals arrived, burger looked good. My chicken was a little lacking in substance, further investigation, it appeared to be half a chicken breast (the other half for the next person to order this dish - maybe). Not only was the chicken breast very thin, it had not been crumbed prior to it being cooked as stated on the menu and also I am a chef.

I called over a staff member and said that the dish had not been made correctly. He said he would get me another made correctly and it won't be long.

My partner had finished his meal and we waited a further 10 minutes and no sign of my chicken. I caught our waitress and asked if she could see what had happened to my new chicken (perhaps the other half?). When she returned she said that the kitchen had been told I did not want it.

Great by now, all I wanted to do was get out of the place ... Check please, it arrived. I opened the folder $81.45 unbelievable - a burger and two standard bourbons. Well I called the table hustler guy that seated us, over, but before I could get to talk to him the head waiter took over. I told him he had to be bloody joking, that in all my 30 years in the business: hotels and restaurants, I have never been so insulted. He took the check away and came back and it was $61.45. We got into a little bit of a heated argument, if the burger is $14.95 with 25% off how can two bourbons cost $50 (you can buy two whole bottles for that). I said I would pay for only what I got and delete the gratuity. He told me to forget it and walked off.

Shocked by is attitude and wanting to pay for what I received, I followed him to the register where it appeared he was cancelling the check. I handed him $40 and said I am paying for what I received and left.

A warning to all ... Confirm exactly what deal you will be getting, so at the end of your meal there is no surprise. If a menu item does not have a price - don't presume what that price might be, as it most likely will be two to three times the price you might normally pay, and if its not right say something you are paying for it and you should receive the service.

1  Thank Bruce C

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Sitting down at the Pershing, we expected the drinks to be pricey as every other place in town is. My bf ordered an $18 drink and I asked for a coffee. They told me they didn't have coffee anymore that day. In my past experience working in restaurants, we always made coffee for guests. Buffalo Wild Wings has given me coffee when I was the only person in the restaurant wanting it.
Anyway, I got a cappacino and we smoked hooka. The atmosphere was the same as other places on ocean drive, maybe a little more laid back. The waitress came to our table one time to take our order and one time to take my cup away. She never came back. We had to stare at her and flag her down to get the bill. When there was a price dispute for a) not telling us the real price of hooka b) charging us part of the bill cash c) increasing the price of our drinks, the wait staff and some other girl who popped out of nowhere telling us she was the owners daughter, started yelling at us when we asked to speak to the manager. Weirdest experience in Miami.
Apparently the cash payment was for the hooka, which they told us 3 different cash prices for and that we had to buy drinks to get it, then added to our card payment anyway. This place was a ripoff.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were told that you can pick from a cardboard that they had outside, $10 meals.

One friend, picked crabcakes.
Another picked fried calamari.
Another pick alfredo pasta,
and I decided not to pick from that menu but to get a margarita pizza.

The food was so average nothing spectacular. And, the fried calamari tasted like it had been overcooked.

Two of my friends decided to get VIRGIN PINA COLADAS. We couldn't believe how much they were when we had gotten the check, they were almost $19.00!!!!

Our bill came out to $98!!!

Always ask in advance about the prices of drinks and food. Don't fall for those specials.

It was so funny, because my friend and I decided to get drinks from Wet Willes before getting there and we only paid $10 for each drink. And, they had liquor. Wow! Smh.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We got in late our hotel this was right by our hotel so we stopped in for dinner. I thought that the prices were high but that is norma in that area, we paid 25 for a chicken sandwich. The service was really bad, it took 10 min to get a water and a ice tea when only 6 other people were eating. The waiting did not improve with dinner everything was slow. After the horrible service I had to ask three times for the bill before I finally got it. Seating is right of the sidewalk which is cool in a ways but there are people constantly walking by when you are trying to eat, and they try to keep you there to make the restaurant look busy. I didn't think it was worth stopping for.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I will start by saying this is one of my first negative reviews. I am not picky and very understanding. But this experience was too much to just ignore. We ate here for dinner one night while in Miami Beach. The food is average. They offer two for one drinks, But they mean each person has to order two (at 25.00). Surprise! They had only one waitress working and she told me I was being rude for complaining after it took 25 minutes to get our check. And we had to wait another 25 just to get the drinks we were tricked into buying. She would not even let us pass on them as an apology for the unbelievably bad service. I will never go back here. Go down a few blocks to the Park Central Cafe or Quinns. The service is much better, no pricing games, and the food is actually the quality you pay for.