“It really is a hidden gem!”
Review of The New Hotel

The New Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed at the New Hotel for a New Year break and arrived just in time for the celebrations - if only we hadn't been so jet lagged! The New Hotel is in North Beach Miami, a charming area which is much more chilled out and less self absorbed than South Beach (but you can still get there in a 20 minute drive if you need a fix). The local beach is 2 blocks from the hotel and local cafes and restaurants will keep your appetite satisfied (definitely try Moises Bakery for cafe con leche and pastries). You are about a 30 minute drive from a huge shopping mal and awesome national park (some of the best mountain biking to be had in Oleta River Park if that is your thing).
The hotel is charming. The owner is very friendly and helpful, but will also respect your need for space and privacy. Our room was very well sized, always clean and comfortable. Good sized in room safe and big closet were a surprising find. Also great air con, a refrigerator and coffee maker. As other reviews state, there is an outside bar on site downstairs, but the music really is good and not too loud - I managed to sleep very well every night. There is a small but clean and inviting pool and sun loungers on site and bikes you can borrow to go exploring. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2010

Could not stay for more than a nite, but everything positive I had read in posted reviews was surpassed by the warm hospitality of the owner ( at check in), the atmosphere around the inviting pool area , the great food and beers, the good design ( specially lighting!!) in the rooms and common areas. Cleanliness is also very important to me, and everything was spotless.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2010

the new hotel & spa was our starting point of a tour through South Florida and we returned to it at the end. so it was a good hotel to stay. the rooms were nicely furnished, very bright, modern and clean. the pictures on the hotels profile and website give a very authentic impression of what the rooms are like. the hotel has an open-air restaurant with a small swimming pool, which is frequently visited by locals as well as hotel guests. so there is bar noice in the evening, but if you chose to shut the hurricane-resistant doors behind you, you'll be just fine. the area itself is alright, it's a bit north and away from the more hip places down south, but you easily get a nice spot at the beach, a parking space or a table in one of the small restaurants around. after all, prices are better here and people a bit more...well...local. :)

i fully recommend the place. big thanks to anna, who was very helpful and charming, and the staff of the new hotel for some very relaxing days. janine

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanineS1
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible....service anyways. My husband and I took a cruise and were excited to spend our final days in Miami at this establishment. Unfortunately, the morning that we docked back to FL, an emergency came up and we had to leave the city. I called The New Hotel and told the woman who answered our predicament and asked if we could cancel our room for that night & the following night. I let her know that we would be back in Miami in 2 months and would love to stay at the hotel so I was looking to cancel and perhaps get a credit towards our future stay. The woman told me that she couldn't do anything for us and they'd be charging us that night's stay regardless. I tried tp explain our issue to her and that we were on our honeymoon and she was EXTREMELY RUDE, interrupting at any chance she could. I then asked to speak to a manager and was told that they wouldn't be in until "later". When I asked when later was, the woman said she didn't know and that no one was going to help me anyways. I told her I'd be calling back in an hour and she then revealed she was the owner, Ann. After another back-and-forth conversation on trying to get a refund or a credit for our next stay, she became even more rude and arrogant. She told me that I was "wasting her time and money being on the phone with her" and that she didn't care about my situation because there's nothing she was willing to do about it.

I booked this hotel through an online travel site so I hung up with her and called them. I told the woman the situation and she phoned the hotel and spoke with the owner, Ann, as well. The owner was just as rude to the travel rep and told her that she was not willing to help. The travel rep told me that out of the thousands of hotels she has called, she'd never spoken to someone so rude and vicious.

I am absolutely baffled at the customer service of this hotel. For the OWNER, to tell me that I'm wasting their time and money and to continually be RUDE and TALK DOWN to a customer, even after telling her we would love to come back in December, is ridiculous. I read numerous reviews saying that this was a great hotel with excellent customer service...don't let them fool you. The owner is a horrible person who is not willing to help anyone in the time of an emergency...at least have some compassion that we were on our honeymoon and were looking to book again in the near future. I work in customer service and I would never speak to a customer, not even another PERSON in the tone and manner she spoke to me. You couldn't pay me to stay at this hotel because of the lack of respect and courtesy shown by not an employee, but the owner & founder of the place.

Shame on you Ann...I hope this review wastes a little more of your time and money.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank newlywed0925
TheNewHotel, Owner at The New Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2010

Hello Newlyweds,
All of us at The New Hotel apologize for any misunderstanding about our Hotel policies that may have occured. We hope that you understand that any cancellations made in less than 72 hours in advance of check-in are subject to a cancellation fee of the first night. Also, if you found the Owner or anyone else in our staff to be rude, we sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding. We are extremely customer service oriented and strive to work with each guest on a personal level during their entire stay, offering guidance and suggestions for tours, restaurants, events, transportation, etc. Unfortunately, you were not able to interact with us since you cancelled your reservation. Hopefully, you can come back to vist us in December. Please contact us when you are ready to book your next trip to Miami and we would like to offer you one complimentary night stay at that time. Sincerely, all of us at The New Hotel

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I stayed with my GF last July and regreted to stay only one night. The hotel is well designed, the room beautiful with rich furnitures. The owner was very helpful with us (she offered us to check our e-mail on her laptop...). The pool is gorgeous and the small bar is charming. The music was good and the sound clear not too loud. Important to notice, the sound insulation is also excellent.
The new hotel is two blocks from the north part of Miami beach. The beach is actually cleaner and less crowded than more south.

Overall, it is an excellent value.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I travel all of the time mostly for work that allows me to stay at all of the large luxury hotels. This trip was personal and sadly brought about through a rough unexpected breakup. Not wanting to loose another dime on cancelation and change fees I decided to travel solo. I stumbled across The New Hotel online. The website and reviews were amazing but I was wary over the low room rates. So I gave them a call spoke with the owner (Ann) she was a doll and very epathetic to my siduation. I was convinece that this was the place for me! Yet, I had a back up reservations at the trusty W Hotel. After a tear filled flight and waiting almost 3 hours for my luggage; I was pleasantly suprised being greeted by the other owner Lou who immediately rushed my bags upstairs and had a beer in my hand within minutes. I sat at the bar mingled with a couple of locals who seemed eager to know my story, took a dip in the pool at 3 AM and slept my woo's away. Everyday, after seemed to get better and better. The room was very clean and newly remodled like little lofts. Comfty bed and great sunlight. If you're looking for flashy South Beach this isn't the place for you but it's only a 20 min ride. A 5 min walk from the beach and delicious cafes! This hotel was much better choice than my creep ex-boyfriend!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Fly-Kitty
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here over a weekend after a 4 day cruise out of Miami July. We live in NJ and flew out for the week. I found The New Hotel online and had seen the pictures and read the reviews and decided to book. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Ann. We had actually come a few hours before check in - but she was happy to help us out. She asked that we give her an hour to get the room ready and offered to watch our luggage as we went to a local spot to grab some breakfast.
When we got back she showed us to our room (deluxe, #6 I believe). I was immediately taken back by how big and clean the room was! It had all sleek modern furniture. A queen sized bed, refridge, mini bar with sink, lounge chair and chaise, a desk and phone with free calls anywhere in us, beautiful linnens, a flat screen wall mounted tv and an amazing bathroom with delightful soaps and a shower big enough for 3 people, all glass!!
It was our perfect oasis. The room is climate controled so its always the perfect temp for you, and VERY big. They have Lou's beer garnen downstairs by the pool area which opens at 5pm. We didn't eat there as time didn't allow, but they seem to get a pretty good crowd in the evening. The pool is small but who needs a pool when you are only 1 block from the beach? I read in other reviews about the music by the pool area, yes, they do play music at night, however its good music, and its not played so loudly that you would hear it through a closed window - unless I guess you are right over the pool. There is a loungy feel outside. Very relaxing and cool.
As I said earlier, the beach is within walking distance- only about 1-2 blocks away and its great! NOT SOUTHBEACH- NORTH BEACH! = relaxing couples/family beach - If you are looking to go to southbeach from there, prepare to pay 17-18$$ for a taxi. I believe there are also buses much cheaper that run every 30 min. The neighborhood can be a little sketchy at night but nothing to be alarmed by. The resturaunts and food in this area is amazing! Very good prices as well! Sazon, best cuban dishes around. Also, latin cafe is great. They have the best cafe con leche ever and you can eat a hearty breakfast here for only $3.99!!
There is also a mexican resturant a mcdonalds and some other good eats just around the corner.
All in all I must say our stay there gets an A.
PRO's:
Good food, outdoor patio, size comfort and cleanliness of rooms, one block to beach, minus the insanity of south beach, very friendly staff.

CON's:
no elevator, beer garden downstairs is obviously open to public so a quiet evening dip in the pool is probably out of the question.
Other than that, NO COMPLAINTS.

Loved our stay here - hopefully we can visit again next year!
Ann is great - super friendly and laid back and welcoming!
Felt like home. Thanks Ann!

Casey and Luis.