“Shame on you once, shame on me twice”
Review of Sherbrooke Hotel

Sherbrooke Hotel
Ranked #179 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Shame on you once, shame on me twice”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I've stayed here a few times and usually had myself believing I was getting the value for my money. Not now or ever again. The major pee stain on the mattress, hidden under the sheets did it for us. Between that and the newspaper thin towels and sheets, it just isn't justified for the range of 75-100 dollars per night when you can get a cleaner and much classier room at the LaFlora 4 blocks down the street for 85.00. Mitch, you really let us down and your place hasn't gotten any better in quite a few years.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Jimi111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed for a week with the Sherbrooke. I paid more than $100 a night so it wasn't a cheap hotel. It was a nice-sized space with a great location. I made great use of the fridge, sink and microwave although the stove/oven didn't work. Everything was a bit grungy (the bath for example) and old but that's not a huge deal to me.

Mitch removed my garbage once a day. Because I was often at the beach, sand was everywhere, including my bed. I ended up missing someone to come in and tidy the room everyday. I also asked for a late check out since my ride to the airport was picking me up at 2:45. Mitch was happy to charge me an extra $10 an hour over the 11 a.m. check out time. It seemed really chintzy given that I'd spent almost $1000 on the room, which I told him. He relented and gave me an extra hour.

I'd try to find a place with as good a location and hotel maids next time. That said, I might stay there again just because the location was so good. Bring earplugs because the young'uns really howl at the moon until the early hours of the a.m.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Eden Prairie
Reviewed March 1, 2011

The Sherbrooke is located in the heart of South Beach. The rooms are spacious and have full kitchens! The towels were something to be desired, but that was the only item I could say anything bad about! The rooms were clean and all the dishes are provided. Mitch is very accomodating and will assist you in any way. The building is secure and I felt very safe. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely be back next year, as well as later this year with friends! Thanks again Mitch for your hospitality!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I really enjoyed my 10 days at the Sherbrooke. The simple rooms are spacious, the kitchenette is great, and the windows looked out on lots of light. The location was near the beadh and convenient to my meetings. Mitch was kind and accomodating. I felt totally independent, protected, and comfortable. I'll definitely go again.Thanks!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The Sherbrooke is an Art Deco treat with a fascinating history. The distinctive architectural lines, "eyebrows" and sleek typeface are a feast for the eyes.

The location is ideal: only a block from the beach and Ocean Drive, yet near affordable eateries on Collins, Washington & Lincoln. Parking is a hassle; there's a Sherbrooke discount at a public garage two blocks north, but that's a hassle, too. You won't have the all-night thumping bass of the discos (but you will get a wake-up call from the garbage men in the alley at dawn.)

Our room was spacious, with high ceilings (we loved the Art Deco "port hole"), a solid wood floor and a firm mattress. The huge fridge was nice. Our only beefs: a small leaky coffee-maker (with no coffee) and thin towels. Otherwise it was fine.

As others have noted, this is a different kind of accomodation. It was built as a co-op, and now has a mix of residents and hotel guests. The owner/manager is well-versed in local history (ask to see the cool antique slot machine/cigarette dispenser) and his dog is impossibly charming.

If you're looking for an affordable "home base" while in SoBe and if you're an Art Deco lover like I am, check out the Sherbrooke.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2010

The Sherbrooke is my kind of hotel. An art deco dream come true. The room was bright and spacious, super clean and you can't beat the location. Mitch was very informative and accomodating. Maggie, a pup almost human, was a delight. Our stay was too short, but living "up the street" in Tampa we will most certainly return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lwhart7
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 25, 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from our third stay at the Sherbrooke in the past two years, and although part of me wants to keep the place a secret for ourselves :-) I'm finally getting around to writing a review.

If you're looking for a cookie cutter impersonal hotel, this is not the place for you. Instead, the Sherbrooke is like having your own studio apartment on South Beach. It's a great value, the location can't be beat, it's just a few steps from Ocean Drive and the beach, and really close to shopping and the clubs.

The building itself is very cool art deco architecture. Our room was comfortable (great bed!) spacious, clean (and we're clean freaks!), and has a kitchenette (which we didn't use but it was nice to have). Coming back to our room every night really felt like we were coming home to our own place. Made for a really relaxing visit.

Last but not least I have to mention Mitch who runs the hotel (and his adorable dog Maggie). Mitch is a great guy and a great source of info on everything South Beach. He always makes us feel welcome in what is now our South Beach home away from home!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple