“Brilliant tour and greater appreciation for Miami Beach”

The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League
Ranked #4 of 133 Tours in Miami Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sponsored by the Miami Design Preservation League, the daily walking tours of the Miami Beach historic district are a terrific way to see the amazing architecture of the area. The tour guides are knowledgable and helpful.The ninety-minute tour provides an introduction to the Art Deco, Mediterranean Revival, and Miami Modern (MiMo) styles found within the Miami Beach Architectural Historic District. Explore hotels, restaurants, and other commercial structures with a visit to a number of interiors. The tours depart from the Art Deco Welcome Center at 1001 Ocean Drive (at 10th Street) on the following schedule: Daily, Monday through Sunday at 10:30 am and every Thursday evening at 6:30 pm. You do not need to make advance reservations - simply arrive at the Art Deco Welcome Center within 10-15 minutes of the scheduled departure time in order to purchase your ticket.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My partner and I took this walking tour with a friend and loved it! By no means are we history or design buffs, but hearing about the Art Deco buildings from our passionate and knowledgeable guide, and also learning about the evolution of the area as a whole gave me all the more appreciation for this fascinating place. While there is a lot of glitz and shine to Miami Beach with the beautiful people strolling along Ocean Boulevard and flashing their cash, doing this tour showed me where the real heart of the city lies! Don't miss this tour if you can.

There are newer reviews for The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I did this tour on a recommendation and thuroughky enjoyed it.
The guide was friendly, passionate and informative and his information was engaging and accurate.

1  Thank Chris_Hooper1988
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I came into this tour knowing nothing about Art Deco or the history of Miami Beach. The tour covered both in a clear, accessible way. Our tour guide (I think her name was Maureen) clearly loved her subject and knew it well. I particularly appreciated that she kept us in the shade or in air conditioned hotel lobbies for most of the tour. The tour enhanced our enjoyment of the remainder of our stay in Miami Beach; we couldn't look at a building or parking ramp without evaluating it for elements of Art Deco, Miami Modern, or Mediterranean Revival architectural styles.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I recently did the Art Deco tour with the Miami Design Preservation League. I believe it was $25 each and I would highly recommend it if you have any interest in design and the history of the south beach area. Our guide Howard, if I remember correctly, was very knowledgable and was able to answer any questions the group had. It was great to learn about the history of the buildings and area and also about the preservation movement. Our tour included tourists from all over including Belgium and Australia! I would say the tour lasted a little under two hours and you make stops in front of many buildings and even venture into one hotel lobby. When you do stop, it tends to be in the shade so that you aren't baking in the sun too much. Again, I would recommend this tour and also stopping in their gift shop as all proceeds go back to the preservation league.

1  Thank luvs2travel1400
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Really enjoyed the tour. !! Left from preservation league building. Strolled around deco area. Very knowledgeable and personable guide shared history and anecdotes of interest about the area. There was time for photos at stops along the way. Was a hot day. Had the opportunity to go in some lobbies as part of the tour and to cool off!
Bring water

Travelers who viewed The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League also viewed

Been to The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League? Share your experiences!