“Great walking tour of Art Deco area”

The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League
Ranked #4 of 135 Tours in Miami Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sponsored by the Miami Design Preservation League, the daily walking tours of the Miami Beach historic district are a terrific way to see the amazing architecture of the area. The tour guides are knowledgable and helpful.The ninety-minute tour provides an introduction to the Art Deco, Mediterranean Revival, and Miami Modern (MiMo) styles found within the Miami Beach Architectural Historic District. Explore hotels, restaurants, and other commercial structures with a visit to a number of interiors. The tours depart from the Art Deco Welcome Center at 1001 Ocean Drive (at 10th Street) on the following schedule: Daily, Monday through Sunday at 10:30 am and every Thursday evening at 6:30 pm. You do not need to make advance reservations - simply arrive at the Art Deco Welcome Center within 10-15 minutes of the scheduled departure time in order to purchase your ticket. Tour ticket includes FREE admission to our Art Deco Museum at 1001 Ocean Drive.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I recently did the Art Deco tour with the Miami Design Preservation League. I believe it was $25 each and I would highly recommend it if you have any interest in design and the history of the south beach area. Our guide Howard, if I remember correctly, was very knowledgable and was able to answer any questions the group had. It was great to learn about the history of the buildings and area and also about the preservation movement. Our tour included tourists from all over including Belgium and Australia! I would say the tour lasted a little under two hours and you make stops in front of many buildings and even venture into one hotel lobby. When you do stop, it tends to be in the shade so that you aren't baking in the sun too much. Again, I would recommend this tour and also stopping in their gift shop as all proceeds go back to the preservation league.

1  Thank luvs2travel1400

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Really enjoyed the tour. !! Left from preservation league building. Strolled around deco area. Very knowledgeable and personable guide shared history and anecdotes of interest about the area. There was time for photos at stops along the way. Was a hot day. Had the opportunity to go in some lobbies as part of the tour and to cool off!
Bring water

Reviewed July 1, 2014

What a lovely 90 minute walk, very easy pace with a local who is passionate about the history, really enjoyed it. A good way to understand the historical element of South Beach and all those Art Deco buildings.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

The explanation and the tour were great. Howard as a tourist guide was excellent. We suggest you all to spend a bit of time in there to enjoy and understand better the Miami Beach's history.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My friend and I were in Miami on June 22-25th and went to the Monday morning, 10am, Tour. This is a non-profit organization, so I felt the $25 was doing more than padding a wallet. We had roughly 20ppl on our walking tour, but the Tour guide was wearing a speaker and mich so it was very easy to hear him over the traffic of South Beach. He was knowledgeable about where there would be shade, so we were able to stand for 3-5minutes in one place without frying in the sun. He talked about the history of south beach, the preservation movement, and a little about the funding of Miami after the Great Depression. It was all VERY interesting. The main part of the talking was in regard to the styles of Art Deco architecture and I felt that he really had a goal of us being able to differentiate between Tropical Art Deco, Spanish Revival Art Deco, MiMo, and a New Build. We learned terms about the various aspects and architectural theories/functions of Art Deco, and how modern architecture is mimicking those concepts in innovative ways. The buildings were really beautiful and it was a great way to see the town and learn about the beautiful building. We did also go into 3 different hotel lobby's and he made suggestions of other buildings for us to check out on our own. Even if you don't like architecture or art, it would still be a great tour because all of the building are just beautiful to look at, and hearing about the history was really fascinating. I highly recommend the tour. Actually, the next time in SoBe I'll probably take it again. Also, make sure to tip the volunteer Tour guides.

Travelers who viewed The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League also viewed

Been to The Official Art Deco Walking Tour by the Miami Design Preservation League? Share your experiences!