“Pre-cruise/Awesome location”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #102 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed one night here before leaving for a cruise. There were four of us and we stayed in a two queen room with a bathroom in between the rooms. Jose at the front desk was very friendly and helpful during check-in/out. Room was quite small but as expected and we didn't plan to spend much time in the room anyway. Location was perfect- walked to the beach, central location with Espanola Way, Ocean Dr, Collins, Washington, Lincoln Road Mall all right there. No shortage of things to see and do! Oh Mexico downstairs had a great dinner and breakfast menu, not to mention a fun people-watching location on a Friday night.
Would absolutely stay here again!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lizaville

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The rooms here are small and no frills, but they are clean. There is a nice common area on the second floor with a dining table and balcony. They offer valet parking for $20/day and are within walking distance to beautiful beaches, great restaurants, and nightlife. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to South Beach.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank chrisvancil
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights, which were 2 too many. Rooms are tiny, and there's nowhere to store your luggage. Carpets are horrible and bathrooms likewise. Noisy street, high prices, no friendly welcome at arrival. Only positive note is the location which is good and close to the beach. But not recommendable and certainly not worth the 250 dollars a night

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Frafranz
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We are currently staying here for just tonight - a quick stop in south beach as we make our way to the keys. Booked this hotel two months in advance and paid in full. ($250) for a room with two double beds. We called ahead to ask about parking and early check in. We were told the valet parking is $19 per day and they would store our luggage if the room wasn't ready yet. Upon arrival the valet charged us $20. Not a big deal but confusing when you hear the front desk telling people it's $19 lol.
While waiting to check in another hotel guest approached the front desk and was very angry about where her room was and the conditions of the hallway/building. Renovations are on going and there is a huge mess. We find out that her room is the floor above us - and when we question the desk clerk she assures us that we will not have that problem as it is another floor. We decided to have our girls (21yr olds) wait with the luggage while we go down the block to check it out. All I can say is WOW. I was appalled. There are mattresses in the hallway. You have to climb over tools and garbage to get down the hallway. We open the door to the room and it's the size of a shoe box. (Room #506) one bed. (For four people?) I didn't see a bathroom - I think it was a shared hall bath. .?? We went back to the desk and my husband told them no way are we staying in that room or that building. I took pictures of it. He gave them the option to move us or refund our money and we'll move on. The girl at the front desk was very un professional and got huffy with us. She pretty much ignored us after that and wasn't going to help us. My hubby went over to the guy and asked where the manager was. We were told that there was none on tonight and no one was accountable for the guests or the rooms or problems. His response "I only make $10 an hour". Really? So they don't pay front desk customer service employees enough to make sure hotel guests are happy and rooms are clean and safe? Okkkk.
The guy did however make an effort to move our room to the main building - and after checking it out we gave the ok to stay. This room has two beds and the room is clean and the bathroom is new. Air works great. TV is new and controls work. The hallways are a bit dingy but the building is old (1920's) and it does have some character.
Will update my review after staying the night and checking out the sights. First it's time for a much needed nap.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jobosumm
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Hi All,
Don't normally do this but thought I'd share my view of The Clay Hotel.
I stayed here for what was meant to be two nights whilst on a 2 week holiday to Florida. My boyfriend and I decided to book this hotel as it looked reasonable and it was one of the cheaper options for around this area. Although I read all the reviews I dismissed alot of the negative. It wasn't until we arrived we were hugely disappointed.

The hotel reception area was very outdated however this wasn't an issue and thought the room would be better. Our view was from the trash area of the restaurant. The room has burn marks on the carpets, it smelled really bad i.e damp and the aircon sounded like it was going to explode. We tried to change rooms but said that they were fully occupied. The area itself is brilliant couldn't have asked for a better area your right amongst everything from the beach to shops including miami ink and Dash. I would advise to save a little more and go for a nicer hotel because it shortened our trip and we ended up going home really early the following morning because I was exhaused. If I didn't keep the aircon on the smell would become worse because it was too stuffy in the room and when I did keep the aircon on it was too noisy.

I know alot of people say not to pay attention to tripadvisor as people have different opinions but this was extremely bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie C
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The location is fantastic directly at Espanola Way!!! Plenty of restaurants, shops, bars and supermarkets. The room was rather small but clean, for a reasonable price. Very friendly staff - all in all good value for the money!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Clay Hotel has embarked on a refurbishment of its rooms. The rooms had been simple but comfortable. The new rooms are more up-to-date in design but they remain reasonably priced and fully comfortable. The location is two blocks from Ocean Avenue and the beach and two blocks south of Lincoln Road. The staff is very friendly and willing to provide the extra measure of help. I am a return guest. And will return to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo