“Convenient”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #105 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very clean. Rooms are small but when in South Beach the most important is the cleansiness. Hallway floors need replacing, they literally sink in.

People at the front desk arent so friendly. We had a 4:30 am pick up I asked an older gentleman if he can call the shuttle to confirm and he refused and told me theyre closed. I decided to call and sure enough they picked up the guy was just lazy.

They give you and option to use a microwave, toaster and or coffee maker but there is no running water where it is located. Near the front lounge area on the 2nd floor.

The Hotel has NO ammenities. They do have Valet parking but I have no idea where they park the cars.

The Hotel is conveniently located on Washington ave. Perfect location to everything!!!!!

Beach is 2 blocks away. Collins ave is 2 blocks away thats where you will find the South Beach strip. Bars close by 4:30am. Most drinks they charge tax and they charge their own gratuity. Which i thought was pretty unfair. 1 beer came out to $8.89 at Big Ang's Miami Monkey bar (you may know her from the reality show Mob wives). You are better off buying your liquor and beer at the store get your buzz then leave to the bars. I did find one cool place called Peppers. Beers were just $3.50 each.

Shopping areas is walking distance. You can take the bus either way for just $2. Beach was clean, water was wonderful but too many Jelly fish.

We did the City tour bus, boat tour and Key west tour for just $100 a person. Well worth it but do not get it at the same Hotel. Anything more they charge not worth it. City tour bus took you all over South beach and Miami then took you to the Bay so you can do the boat tour. The following day we did the Key west tour. Even though they take you to a pit stop they give you 15 mins to get fast food. So if youre not into fast food I would advise to being your food and lots of liquid. Its a 5 hr bus ride. They do pick you up at 6am and drop you off at your Hotel.

Polo Norte is a Cuban restaurant. On Washington ave. A must go the waiters there are totally friendly.

Over all it was a great time. Make sure to bring extra money as you should know non of the Hotels are inclusive.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Unbeatable location, at Española Way and Washington Ave. and a few steps away to all the restaurants, bars and the beach of Miami Beach.
Althoug its rooms are small and should need some actualization, I would recommend it for the convenient location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It's a few years ago and the Hotel has been renovated in the mean time. I remember how we liked it from beginning on. It is near everything like the sea, the Shops, and the nightlive. Smal but clean and a friendly atomsphere - just what joung people like.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Discoverer77
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I never expected anything so nice, we pulled up the valet came right to us, charge only $20.00 for 24 hours, free in and out, went to check in the room was ready and waiting, the staff was always smiling and ready to help, I loved the central location right next to Esplanda Way had a great night walking around, when I got back to the hotel, we were able to shut the door and go to sleep. The beach was two blocks away, the room was clean, the restaurants and bars were all walking distance. I am already ready to book my next trip.

Room Tip: If you want excitement choose a room with a balcony so you can people watch. If you want quiet choo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I am pleased with my choice if the Clay Hotel. I have been here 2 nights & will be here 2 more.

There are some spartan rooms here which need refurbishment. When I checked in, I was given room # 101 which is one of those rooms. I would have taken it given the room rate (honestly, you can't beat the value here). But I asked if a newer room was available and the front desk man was able to move me to room # 151 which is where I am now.

This room is clean, newly furnished & well maintained. The bed is very comfortable. While my room faces right down to Espanola Way, the noise level is more than tolerable. I can barely hear it.

The rooms I've seen are small, but similar size wise to what you'll get in any major city. I can tell you there are hotels within walking distance of the Clay which will charge you almost 2X the price of this room & be no bigger or better furnished.

I am happy to give this hotel a positive review.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank jecceh
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It IS on a great spot, walking distance to Lincoln Rd. and the beach, but it's way overpriced, the building is old, and the carpet aswel. Rooms are small and the whole place had a weird smell. I doubt of the cleanness of the bathroom, the shower and the floor.
I do have to point out that the shower had hot and sufficient water and I never had a problem with the a/c. The bed was not that comfty but can't complain.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrea F
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I read a couple of the bad reviews so I was a bit unsure, but my stay was fine. Yes there is a restaurant on the ground floor, and some people complained about the noise so I asked for an inside room. There was no view but I didn’t care. It was hot in Miami so I kept the curtains closed to keep the sun out. The linens were very basic, but I always pack my own nice pillowcase when I stay at a budget hotel. My A/C unit was quiet, newer and worked great. I liked having a fridge and a TV. There were about 19 channels, which was great and the TV had a sleep timer which for me is a big deal. The sleep timer helps me fall asleep when I travel, but I hate to wake up with the TV still on (and it’s a waste of electricity). Most of the staff were nice, one guy was a bit blah, but overall everyone was nice. My emails with questions were answered very promptly and this hotel is easy to get to - use the 150 bus for only $2.35, that bus runs about every 30 minutes (you can get more info online). The room was a decent size. I had the room one step up from the budget room. The location is great and if noise bothers you don’t go to Miami Beach in the first place. Like I said, my inside room was quiet and frankly the restaurant with its outdoor seating was very charming. Espanola Way has a lot of character and I found that very comforting every night when I returned to the hotel. I do wish they in-room safe was big enough to fit a laptop, on the flip side the Wi-Fi was included and very reliable, a big plus! Don’t be scared by a couple bad reviews.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo