“First Class Hotel in South Beach”
Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #105 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I loved this hotel. It's gorgeous, clean, comfortable, and loaded with charm. Check in was a breeze, valet parking simple and quick, and the location couldn't be better. I was very wary because sometimes the older hotels are full of mold and dilapidated ... definitely not the case here. This antique has been beautifully preserved and upgraded without losing any of it's 1930's charm.

This will be my first choice next time we come to South Beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soccer-mom-dad-kids
Write a ReviewReviews (1,925)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Located in one of the prime restaurant areas, The Clay is very convenient to the Miami Beach Convention Center and close to the beach. I settled on the Clay Hotel due to its low price, proximity to the places I intended to go and availability at the time I needed. The front dest staff was cordial and professional--while I did ask to see my room prior to checking in, I found no reason to ask for a room change. Room 137 was spare: cooled from an in-wall air conditioner, with two curtained windows, one framed print on the wall above a bed with no headboard, night stand with lamp, small dresser with an extra pillow and blanket taking up most of the dresser drawer space, flat screen tv with a dozen channels to surf, an area for hanging clothes, safe, refrigerator, side chair, bathroom ensuite. Adequate. Not a boutique hotel. Excellent Wifi. The only downside for me was not having a surface to work at--desk or coffee table--not that there was extra room for it.

I read many of the reviews and was very leery of staying at this former hostel. What I found was a fine place to stay if you don't need or want to spend much time in your room. It is not a room for entertaining though the refrigerator is more than adequate for beer and wine. I did see, but did not use the toaster oven, microwave and hot water kettle located in a small room off the hall.

Española Way is a noisy place at night with lots of visitors to the many restaurants that line the road. I was lucky that my visit took place during a cold snap which limited outdoor activities including dining for a couple of days--that kept the noise levels down those nights. Once it warmed outside the sound of the air conditioner helped mask the street noise. Earplugs might have been a good investment but each day I was tired and had no trouble sleeping. Recommended for those not interested in spending much time at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PAperegrinator
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Where to begin, after check in you are expected to drag your bags about 2 blocks down a very busy street and up 3 flights of stairs. One in, the room smells of damp and mould and has virtually no facilities. Think of it more as a hostel than a hotel. If it was priced at $30-$40 a night I would say it was fair enough that you get what you pay for, but I paid nearer $90 I felt like I had a very poor deal.

On the plus side, the location is very good but I can't think of much else to recommend it. Room was never cleaned and I did not feel that my stuff was secure. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank cultv
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel was one of the cheaper ones in South Beach. We only had to walk two blocks to get to the beach and Ocean Drive. Close to everything. Staff were nice and accommodating and upgraded us to a better bigger room upon arrival without us asking. We were in the refurbished part of the hotel. Rooms were simply decorated with nice beds and thick carpet throughout which was nice and we had TV big two screens for each room. Bathroom was nice. There was a microwave in the room. We were allowed to check out one hour late as well which was also nice of them.
The only thing I would say is that our room was facing the main Espanola way and it did get noisy.
It wasn't a major problem as we slept right through it but if you are a really light sleeper then maybe ask for a room not facing that way. There was aircon in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main Espanola way if you are a little worried about noise but it wasn...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Clay was the most affordable option for our week long stay in south beach. The room was very very basic. A bed in a room with a tv. Bathroom basic also. No lifts & many different apartment looking blocks that are all part of this hotel. We had to walk right to the back of the street to find our hotel block. There are no fancy frills here and at first I was maybe a little worried! Having said all that, this was probably my most memorable stay (in a good way) of our 7 weeks of exploring USA. The side street the hotel in located on is just gorgeous! Cute restaurants, frozen yoghurt stores, art gallery & dress shop. The location is very Close to the beach. The guys at the front desk were helpful with bus timetables & let us check in early which was a bonus! Our friends staying in a 'nicer' hotel down the other end of town were so jealous of our location. If you're looking for a chain style fancy hotel, this isn't for you. But we would book again for the right price!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was perfect for a 3-day stay in South Beach for my college daughter and me. Two blocks to the beach, walking distance to Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Charming boutique hotel with common sitting areas, small balconys overlooking Espinosa Way and extremely accommodating staff. The hotel totally exceeded my expectations. Some of the on-line reviews were quite negative so I didn't know what to expect. Granted, the rooms are basic and you won't find a Heavenly bed here. The rooms are clean and fresh. Our room was equipped with a dorm-size refrig, microwave, coffee maker and hair dryer. We had a family room which was almost like a suite since the double beds were separated by the bathroom. South Beach is no bargain (think Manhattan). A comparable hotel in the suburbs would be half the price. However, for South Beach, you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Ask for a family room if you want something in a quieter section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is located in the hart of the action, espaniola way its a nice street with charming restaurants, rooms are basic but clean and confortable bed. The loby is on wasintong avenue, but rooms are over the restaurants located on first fllor behind the lobby. There are no elevators, so dont bring lots of luggage or you will regreat. If you are use to have bellboys and some more " occidental" book the courtyard wich is only 50 mts to the north and with all the amenities that brand offers. For me the hotel was better than expected, some times it smells food on the hall but not in the room ( at leats the one i go) . A bit of noise from the street , but YOU ARE IN THE MIDDEL OF THE ACTION, that is to be expected. Be aware that hotels in this area are not cheap.If you have mobility or back problems DONT BOOK HERE

Room Tip: ask for rooms all the way to the back umbers 350 and up
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business