“Should be torn down and remodeled”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clay Hotel

The Clay Hotel
Ranked #98 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Should be torn down and remodeled”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel has three confusing buildings that if you are in the back buildings ur in the back blocks n it's not very safe rooms are very tiny. You have too lug all your suitcases up flights of stairs no elevators. No body really speaks English n the sheets and towels all have stains on them. The last night I found a baby lizard on my floor Stay away please

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights while visiting friends in Miami. I found this hotel just charming and very good for the price. There is nothing this inexpensive in South Beach, and this hotel is just one block from a really nice public park and beach walk. It is within steps of fabulous restaurants, bike rentals, and a fantastic Argentine pastry shop..... Um, sorry, got distracted. My budget room had an en suite bathroom with the old tiles that I thought was darling. It was a small room but had a refrigerator, a big closet, wifi, and a TV with several HBO channels. There is a floor that is more like a hostel, so there were toasters and microwaves as well. There is a second floor "sitting area" that is beautiful and a tiny smoking balcony with a beautiful view of Hispanola Way. By the way, I did not hear any noise that would have kept me awake for my entire Thursday-Monday stay. Not only would I stay here again, I highly recommend this hotel to travelers who enjoy getting a good bargain and are willing to carry their own luggage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank marcia_marcia
milano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Located, service, price. I spent 5 nights during Isaac in a two double bad room shared bathroom (ensuite). Cool, simple, clean for 120usd. Great staff: thanks to Stefania and Irina. Enthusiastic and helpful. Have fun)

• Stayed August 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

After reading a few rather negative reviews just before we set off, I was wary of what would expect us. However, my daughters (18 and 20) and I really liked it.Yes, it was old; yes, we had to haul our suitcases up a couple of flights of stairs but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. It was atmospheric, the fridge and the air conditioning were working, it was clean (no bugs), not smelly, staff were very friendly and helpful and you feel transported back in time in a positive way. I would certainly not hesitate to go again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Alanka52
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our first trip to Miami and our stay at the Clay Hotel. The room was simple and dated, but it was clean. Our bed linens and towels were exchanged every day. We were on the side of Espanola Way and enjoyed listening to the hustle and bustle of the day. The noise did not disturb us in the evening as other reviews have commented. It is in a prime location, with good restaurants right below the hotel, clubs across the street and the beach was only two blocks away. We did not rent a car because everything was right where we needed it to be. My boyfriend forgot his shoes so we took a short walk down to the mall. Overall, we had a wonderful experience at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

First of all, valet parking is 19usd. Not everyone at this hotel speak english. The front-desk and rooms are not in the same building. You have to walk about 50-70 m to get to the rooms. We booked a standard room, small, smelled and we did not sleep a minute because of the noice outside. Room 204 btw. (Loud music and drunk people shouting, and i had earplugs!) After 2 nights we asked for a new room, they were happy to give us another room, which was bigger, smelled better and was nicer. (Room 353). If i were to book a hotel at South beach again, i would be nearer the beach, and probably up north. For youth who wants to party, this hotel is perfect. For families - i recommend Ocean Spray or nearer the beach. The food at their restaurant is good, tip (included in check) is 18% though:/

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The best about this hotel is the location, very close to Lincoln Road. But that´s not all. The rooms are ok; the staff was friendly; the price is fair. Wireless internet works properly. I would stay again and reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family