“Miami Beach or Miami B....??”

Miami Beach Convention Center
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Two weeks ago I spent 6 days in Miami Beach attending a seminar at the Convention Center. I am no stranger to the Miami Beach Convention center since I have worked conventions there on many occasions.

Now this past trip was different. First and foremost, the parking in Miami Beach is a trip in itself. I am familiar with the main parking lot outside of "C" Entrance and this is where I chose to park my car believing that nothing could happen.

The second day of the seminar, we ended late and I did not get to the car until 8pm. The lot was well lit and I proceeded to my car without a problem. I Started the car and began to drive looking for the exit. I was tired, so I thought that perhaps I was just not aware where the exit was. I drove around the lot 3 times saying to myself, this has to be the craziest of situations, there was no OPEN Exit to leave the lot.

A young gentleman was outside the lot and saw my dilemma and asked if he could assist. I told him what was happening, so he offered to drive around the lot and see if he could move one of the locked gates. Another failed attempt to leave The Miami Beach Convention Center.
Now it is almost 8:30pm and I am locked inside an open parking lot in Miami Beach. The parking lot security people were there to take my money when I arrived in the morning but they failed to be present to let people out. This was a first for me.

I called 911 and explained my dilemma. The dispatch operator assured me that an officer would be dispatched immediately. 20 minutes go by and no officer. I called back and this time a different operator asked me my name. I told her and she said, please hold on. A few minutes later she came back on line only to tell me that they had to contact the security company to open the gate. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Why did they not make the call when I contacted them initially??? I was close to one hour sitting in an open parking lot, alone at night in Miami Beach.

The security guard apologized and said that the incidence was out of their hands since the City of Miami Beach instructed them to lock up the lot to ensure that the City would not loose parking revenue. This to me was adding insult to injury, Miami Beach. Parking Revenue is of more importance to you than the safety of people visiting your city.

So as far as the title of this review goes, Miami Beach or Miami B...., well I will take Broward County.

2  Thank Stephanie T

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was a bit disappointed on the facilities, the meeting rooms were very small and the furniture was very old and shoddy looking. but the larger rooms in the upper floor were good.

2  Thank Niroshi S
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Okay..nothing to make a big deal out of..again likely not. Customer service not too friendly. Venue nothing to die over. Okay

1  Thank Tiffany C
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Organised, spacious, well signposted with ample food outlets within the exhibition space, ample and clean toilets and friendly staff. Well done Miami Beach, you have a great asset in this Convention Center - I should know as this was my 17th visit.

1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The access to the center is easy, parking is great and the maneuvering is so efficient. The staff and signs direct you to your venue, everything is set up nicely and the bathrooms are clean.

1  Thank stilljazzi1