“Superb and delicious rijstafel”
Review of Indomania

Indomania
Reserve with OpenTable
Indomania is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #171 of 1,107 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the closest I have gotten to the type of Indonesian rijstafel served in Amsterdam by an Indonesian-raised chef. Althow the owners don't seem to be Indonesian (Dutch instead), they have captures the authentic flavors as well as the variety of flavors in Indonesian cuisine.
Restaurant is cosy and pleasantly decorated, hosts are very friendly. It's fairly easy to find parking in the area. I already made my reservation for my next visit.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Add us to the chorus of happy diners who sing the praises of this restaurant.My wife and I dined here on a Saturday night with two friends, and found the place barely half full-since everyone must have been at home or in sports bars watching that evening's Heat playoff game.Although the usually omnipresent owner, was, we learned, on vacation in Amsterdam, the service was friendly, attentive and helpful-the entire staff exuded a cheery upbeat welcome.My wife and I had the Sumatra rijsttafel and found it to be filling and full of a variety of interesting tastes and textures.The shrimp, chicken, the spicy and non spicy beef all had different flavors to add to the effect of the meal. Our friends had the vegetarian rijsttafel and enjoyed it-we sampled their rice-which, with the two kinds that came with our meal, made three different rice dishes for the evening-each flavorful and interesting.The boiled egg was surprisingly delicious, as were the other dishes that came with the meal.For dessert we shared a piece of cinnamon layer cake with a scoop of coconut ice cream that separately, and together, were worth a return visit by themselves-there was no cloying or overly sweet taste or finish-and like everything else in the meal, the pairing of flavors and textures was memorable..While I was finishing the excellent coffee I had ordered, Emily took an impromptu tour of the kitchen, where the chefs and waiters gleefully showed her around.She liked what she saw. Is this "authentic" Dutch/Indonesian cooking? We are not sufficiently experienced to opine--although from the evident gusto with which the Indonesians sitting a table away from us were eating, I'd say it is.But frankly, to us it doesn't matter what you call it--everything about our meal from when we walked in til when we left two hours later was excellent(yes we sat at our table schmoozing for nearly an hour afterwards-with no pressure to leave on this surprisingly quiet night). Note that the menu recites a price for the rijsttafel, but that is the price per person and the minimum order for any of the rijsttafel dishes is for two people.This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but the food is delicious, plentiful and sufficiently filling, and this intimate little establishment is well worth a visit.

1  Thank jnr24
Reviewed June 2, 2013

found this restaurant on TA and made a reservation for two on a friday night via email. got a prompt response from a gracious staff member named Pieter. we were able to walk to 26th and collins and glad we could since it looked like parking was at a premium. there is a regular menu and a "rijsttafel" or family style selection for minimum of 2 people. selections are vegetarian, ocean, java, or sumatra. each consist of 14 small plates of a variety of selections of fish, chicken, beef, or vegs...on skewer, slow cooked, steamed, with several sauces including curry, coconut, and chili lime. 2 of us shared the rijstafel ocean with much delight. emping melinjo, a tangy cracker with a peanut sauce dip. I could not eat the grilled shrimp or the shrimp cracker but every other bite i had was simply delicious, freshly prepared, and full of flavor. grilled catch of the day was salmon in banana leaves and a cod in tomato ginger sauce, delish! steamed white and yellow rice with lemongrass and indonesian spices. crispy, spicy string beans, mixed vegetables, sweet sour cucumber are some other dishes served and their flavor balanced the other spices well. we treated ourselves to black rice pudding, creamy and not over cooked. nice wine and beer list as well. we will surely return to indomania for another delicious mean upon our return to miami beach.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The food and service was both first class! Neat little restaurant with a very intimate and personal vibe.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have hard time understanding the buzz about this restaurant.

My boyfriend and I ordered 2 seafood menus which go for $30 per person. The menus feature an array of courses which sound impressive on paper and are truly disappointing when served.

You receive a wide variety of food served in little saucers. Most of them are truly uneventful like boiled green beans, apples with a little syrup, white rice, a couple of sauces etc. The fish courses were 1 shrimp each which was overcooked, 1 fish nugget that had a slimy texture (too much flour and too little fish) a little fish fillet topped with a souce that tasted like jam, another fish filet with a mild black bean sauce.

I have been to Indonesia and the food served by this restaurant had maybe a hint of what true Indonesian food tastes like.

Despite the variety, food was just enough to not be hungry. For 2 menus and 2 tap waters we paid $75. To us It tasted like cheap chinese fare served in little cute saucers. Service was good though and the atmosphere pleasant

We will not be back.