“A Complete Letdown”
Review of Stubborn Seed

Stubborn Seed
Ranked #181 of 1,287 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 5, 2019

Visited Stubborn Seed a few weeks ago and, after no response from management, I feel compelled to write this review. We arrived at 6:30pm for a reservation and were immediately seated as there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant. We ordered the chef's 8 course tasting menu and wine pairing seeing as how we have been to several restaurants (3 Michelin star establishments included) and thought we knew what we were in for. Boy, were we ever wrong. The food started out and was coming out at a nice pace. However, once the clock struck 7:30pm, the restaurant started filling up and then service immediately slowed to a halt. After our 3rd or 4th course, we waited on average 30-45 minutes between courses. As we had a baby at home, at 9pm, when we still did not receive our main meat course, we called it a night and asked to be cashed out. The manager came over and gave a halfhearted apology and charged us for one wine pairing and tasting menu. It would not have been as big of an issue if we were on desserts, but since we had not received the meat course and still had dessert and, presumably, another 45 minutes to sit and wait, we decided to pull the plug.

I cannot express how much of a letdown this was as we were looking forward to our visit so much and now, I can unequivocally say that we will never be back. In fact, it only reinforces why we never travel to Miami to eat dinner anymore. Making the drive from Fort Lauderdale just to sit there and wait a ridiculous amount of time for food is absolutely inexcusable. The saddest part of all? The food was very good that we were able to try, but the service or the timing with the kitchen absolutely ruined the whole experience. Afterwards, my wife sent an email to the address listed on the website for the Grove Bay Group, which owns the restaurant and now, even after almost a month, we have yet to receive a response. The verdict? Another typical South Beach restaurant who thinks that you are lucky enough to dine at their restaurant, not the other way around, as it should be. I'll gladly take my money elsewhere from now on. Perhaps the name "Stubborn" Seed is completely appropriate.

2  Thank Philip B

Reviewed March 21, 2019

The food was good and the service was excellent. The wagyu beef and couple of fish dishes were the best dishes. The desserts were only average. Overall, a nice dinner, but for this price it should be better than just nice.

Reviewed March 19, 2019

First the easy things. Service is great, decor interesting, vibe lively, wines outstanding, just a great place that gives every appearance of being well run by experts. Now the but...The dishes contain unusual mixes and while the individual components were well cooked with flavorful sauces, both my wife and I felt they were trying too hard to be different with their combinations and the results were not so pleasing for my taste buds. Changing things is nice and I can always remember the first time I had chilli with roast beef which sounded seriously weird to me but really worked for me, which sadly my chicken dish and my wife's lobster one at the Stubborn Seed did not. My chicken was moist and tender and served hot, all of which I loved, but the sauce and other accompaniments missed my sweet spot.I gather the menu changes a lot so no point in writing about any one dish in too much detail. All I would say is you have to like a non traditional approach to pay these prices. It didn't work for us, but it may well work for someone excited to try new combinations in which case I urge to book soon, it gets crowded. But if you tend towards a belief that cooking has evolved well known pairings over many years for a reason, then dont go. I feel churlish writing this but I dont mean to be down on the restaurant. The fact I did not like the food combinations is more a reflection of my failings than theirs & I write this review only to highlight this otherwise wonderful restaurant may not be some people's cup of seed.

Reviewed March 14, 2019

The Stubborn Seed didn't give much away from the outside. We weren't sure if it was a bar or a restaurant, so just popped in to check it out. We hit the jackpot on our first night in Miami and no other food matched up after that. We took seats at the bar and ordered a glass of wine each. Then we perused the menu and decided we needed to eat here. We shared 3 savoury plates and 1 dessert, accompanied by excellent wines. This is 'fine dining' with high quality food, beautifully prepared and presented. It really was very fine. We just hope it is still there next time we are in Miami.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed March 10, 2019

We were completely captivated by the culinary experience at Stubborn Seed. Our dinner was creatively presented by our server Jacob and the wine steward Mathew. We enjoyed a plate of fresh oysters in a thai mignonette that is unique, and perfect to compliment the delicious Kusshi oysters.

We then shared an out of this world fresh salad of greens, parmesan and fresh lemon vinaigrette which set us up for the next course, the butter poached lobster and Wagyu ribeye steak - both cooked perfectly and flavourful - great deserts to follow. I highly recommend the chefs and all the staff at Stubborn Seed, the quality and the flavours of the kitchen are among the best in the city. Outstanding service and hospitality. 5 stars

Date of visit: February 2019