“Old and deceiving” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lorraine Hotel

You added Lorraine Hotel to your Saves list
Lorraine Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2601 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140-4798 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #170 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Adelaide, Australia
“Old and deceiving”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed in Miami for 2 nights and chose the Lorraine Hotel. We arrived early due to our red-eye flights from the West Coast of USA and asked for early check in, if possible. The older man working said we were too early and would not be checked in until their check in time of 3pm. He was extremely rude and disinterested in helping us. We had to sit in the foyer for hours until the lovely young lady at reception checked us in early.
The rooms were awful; very thin walls, floors and ceilings. The shower head leaked and left pools of water on the floor. No independent air conditioning or heating in the room. People continuously played extremely loud music until early hours of the morning. The hotel is not close to the main streets/mall so you either have to taxi or take a long walk.
We had some issues with the noise above our room and when we questioned it, nothing was done about it.
We also asked the reception to book us a taxi to the airport and they said they would book for us but I don't think they did as no taxi showed up.
Even though it's cheap, I would recommend you stay elsewhere. It is budget, but too budget. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Chose a hotel close to Lincoln Mall
    • 3 of 5 stars
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Please, accept our apologies.

EARTH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel for a living and this hotel is just perfect for a place to lay your head. Looks like it was built years ago, referbed in the 70's. If your looking for a name brand or need the flat screen TV,
"Move along nothing to see here."
If your stay is for work or the beach this spot is it. There is a great restraunt and cafe on the same block. I would stay there again just for the Brothers cafe cuban Expresso on the corner.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Your review summarizes best the experience at the Lorraine Hotel. Thank you! (And, yes, the Cuban coffee next door is terrific!) We hope to see you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed at about 4 or 5 different hotels on South Beach and this is by far the grungiest. It was resonable and the staff seemed nice but the hotel itself is run down and old. If your looking for something cheap then go for it. My friends and I only stayed one night while we were in Miami for the Foam Fest. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thanks for your review. Access to the beach, friendly service and great prices are what most of our guests come looking for.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked this hotel over a month ago for a trip. My trip was canceled; in response I cancelled the hotel via Lorrainehotel.com. I was even given a cancellation number. My reservations was cancelled more than 3 weeks prior to my original check in date. Not only was my credit card still charged, but the customer service I received was horrendous. With all my years of travelling and communicating with people, I have never came across a staff as incompetent such as the staff at Lorraine Hotel (Natalie and Roberto). I was told for over a week that there was no manager on duty. I've never heard such foolishness before. How can a business operate with no manager or supervisor? Not only was my credit card charged without authorization, but I have yet to receive my refund that they allegedly issued. I thank God I did not stay at this hotel and you should reconsider this location as well. Next step, reporting them to BBB. Safe travel and Happy stay at another hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Julieann83
It was a mistake. Once we noticed, we refunded your card right away. We also contacted you to apologize. Our manager was indeed not present. She was out of the country attending her father's funeral. Finally, your manners over the phone were not respectful and, we are sure, didn't reflect the way you wish to be treated by anyone.
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The size of the room and the bathroom was OK.
There was not even 1 chair in the room.
Safe on the floor is very disturbing for an older adult.
We could not fill the sink, so it was impossible to make light wash of shirt or socks.
Breakfast was served to late - starting 7:30 is far to late, and most of the times it wasn't ready even at that time.
Cleanliness - We found it OK, but we heard some others complaining.

• 3 of 5 stars
We appreciate your review. indeed, breakfast is served from 7:30am to 10am. For most of our guests, any time before that is actually too early. Many think we should even extend it past 10:30! We do our best to find a balance and satisfy everybody. Please, accept our apologies if we haven't met your expectations.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this place because we were looking for - an economically priced place to stay near South Beach. We got what we paid for, and frankly, what we expected: clean & comfortable beds, with aged furnishings & finishings, with few amenities, close to but not in South Beach, and in an older hotel. First impressions were quite good with the lobby, but it seemed any renovations ended there.

The continental breakfast was average (bread, cereal & fruit), and if you wanted a better coffee than the express Nescafe one there, we could easily get one further down the road. Access to the beach is less than a block and the rooms had a fridge, sink and burner, so that's good for anyone wanting to stay there for a longer period.

Some challenges in that the website says "full-sized beds", though they were actually queen-sized (good end result, I suppose), the hair-dryer's built-in fuse kept blowing requiring cool-down to reset, windows were from the 60s and wouldn't stay up/open, the wireless access on the top floor was non-existent, and the washroom was, well, just shy of being scary - though it seemed clean, we definitely kept our sandals on.

So, overall, you do get what you pay for and you are paying much less a price than you would pay for accomodations closer to South Beach. The price/value was definitely fair & if that's what you're looking for, then it's a good place, though I would personally suck it up and pay a higher price next time for something a bit nicer down the road.

1 Thank Steven M
Thanks for your review. We have replaced some of the windows (now hurricane proof) since your visited. Warm regards.
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband I travel often and have resolved that most hotels are simply a place to crash for the night and don't ask much from a place...I read reviews here and decided to give the Lorraine a try. WOW, what a mistake!! The place was absolutely disgusting. The lobby is nice and gives a false impression of the cleanliness of the rest of the hotel. There was mold, mildew, missing tiles, dirty dishes in the kitchenette, a fridge/freezer that was FULL of frozen frost ( must have not been defrosted since 1971)... The entry door did not lock, we had to set up a makeshift "booby trap" with chairs to feel safe. And if that was not enough, I was not walking on the floor for 5 minutes in what was my clean pair of white socks when they turned a deep gray from the FILTH on the floor. They were covered in hair and I was disgusted. There was dark hair on the floor, back of the bathroom doors, this place seemed as though it had not been cleaned in years. I was bit up by bugs and could not wait to get out of there! I will never stay here again !!!!! EVER!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple