“My 1st Choice in South Beach!”
Review of Viscay Hotel

Viscay Hotel
Ranked #129 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I am a frequent visitor to South Beach from Washington DC and the Viscay is my go to place to roost. Convenient to EVERYTHING, yet relatively quiet and peaceful - it is an understated oasis in a desert of overpriced, undersized, mismanaged, and pretentious alternatives. Management is most accommodating and the property is both functional and comfortable. Viscay makes up for the lack of so called "frills" by mastering the basics. Give folks a clean, well managed, spacious rooms in an establishment with all the "basic" necessities and you will shine! Keep up the excellent job!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 15, 2008

We have been going to south beach for 6 years now. We usually go 2 to 3 times a year and we always stay at Viscay. This is the best place to stay for the money. Believe me we stayed at plenty of places in south beach before finding Viscay. Peter ( the owner/manager) is great. he is so accomodating and courteus. this is our home away from home. The place is VERY clean, quiet and spacious. most hotels in south beach are not spacious or quiet . The best part about Viscay is that we can walk everywhere, we're two blocks from the beach near all the shopping and dinning areas. you can't beat it. we love going there for our romantic getaway. We have been there with friends as well and overall it is always a great time. Mangoes, Spiga italian restaurant, Puerto sagua restaurant, and Wet Willies are our favorite spots.
Tania & Joe

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank nealtt
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Viscay is a cozy boutique hotel, very quiet and clean, 1-minute walk to restaurants on Ocean Drive and 2-minute walk to the beach. Stayed there for a week in April 2008 with my wife and two kids (ages 3 and 8). We had a junior suite with a kitchenette, very spacious; kids slept comfortably on the queen-sized sofa bed. Unbeatable for the price, given that you are in the heart of South Beach. A friend of ours from Amsterdam stayed in Viscay at the same time, had a separate regular room, definitely spacious enough for a couple, with a microwave and a small fridge.

What makes this hotel stand out is the fact that owner/manager Peter is on the premises from morning till late night. Peter is very helpful and accommodating; to give an example, he made photocopies of my tax return for me when I asked him where the nearest copy shop was. Also, a late checkout was no problem.

There are several parking options; Peter rents out a residential permit for on-street parking. I parked in the garage quarter-block up the street; the unlimited in-and-out card cost me $20/day, including tax. Ask for the card in the garage's office.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrewsha
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We picked this hotel because it was close to everything and the website pictures looked decent. It was really hard to find parking. The parking lot close to the Viscay hotel charges $30.00 even if you park for 15 minutes. We found a parking lot a few blocks away for a decent price. When we arrived the front desk person was nice. The hotel doesn't have an elevator. There was no shower curtain in the bathroom. So when taking a shower we had to put towels on the floor. The front desk hours are limited. We can hear the next door room converstion. We can hear people up and down the hallway. October is a very busy month, because it's Miami Carnival. WE had a great time at Mango's, Wet Willies and Time Cafe. Overall experience, the hotel is ok.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tashpc
Reviewed June 8, 2007

The Viscay is in the perfect location in Miami Beach. I was in the thick of restaurants, clubs, and the Beach. The Hotel is a small privately managed hotel. It is clean. The wireless works great. It has a European feel in that it is slightly spartan in a trendy, functional fashion. Their is no breakfast, but everything you need is in walking distance. The owner upgraded me to a suite. Nice Guy. Parking was convenient, I received a residential / guest pass to park on the street. Once in your room you don't need to drive anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Miguel_WI
Reviewed March 5, 2007

This was my first time to South Beach for a Girls long weekend; several are turning 50 this year and having a semi-mid-life crisis of sorts. The girls stayed at The Beacon on Ocean Drive; a trendy, upscale hotel right in the heart of the SB scene. I was was much happier to have found the Viscay...one block from the scene/beach, but much quieter and understated. Being somewhat claustrophobic, I was thrilled with my room; a very clean air-conditioned, Jr. Studio Suite with a king size bed, full kitchen, nicely tiled-bathroom and huge walk-in closet and a safe; it reminded me my first apartment out of college. The Viscay is reasonably priced compared to the surrounding hotels. The owner/manager, Peter, is very hands on and seems to keep a watchful eye on things at all times. Both Peter and his hotel are quite charming. I felt very safe staying there alone and would definitely go back. The Viscay is a "no frills" hotel, so if you are looking for luxury, pampering and services, this is not the place for you. But if you are independent and just want a clean, affordable, roomy and convenient place to land, The Viscay is perfect. I miss it already!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elise-Oliver
Reviewed November 16, 2006

The room was clean and comfortable so no complaints when we first arrived but trying to sleep was another matter. The window was facing a main road which usually wouldn't be a problem but paper thin walls and no double glazing meant we got no sleep at all. We asked the manager/owner if he could move us and he said no as he can't be fair to all of the guests? We had requested a first floor room originally but he would move us to a room on the other side of the hotel only if we paid the top price for it and also dramatically said that we would be putting him out of business if he moved us??? so was being very unfriendly and unhelpful. Upon check out that morning as we decided to find another hotel for the rest of our stay he proceeded to talk about death cults, immigration and all manor of weird things....very strange and quite scarey!! Needless to say I was very pleased after that not to be staying there and the rest of our stay in Miami was great.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple