“Okay for low-maintenance, independent travelers”
Review of Ocean Reef Suites

Ocean Reef Suites
Ranked #127 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
North Carolina
“Okay for low-maintenance, independent travelers”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This is the second hotel I've stayed at in Miami Beach and on the whole, I found it to be adequate.

The good: Free WiFi (very good speed for a hotel) was appreciated. Very walkable to everything in South Beach. Stylish rooms, if a bit on the cheap side. Kitchenette was great for dealing with leftovers, making breakfast, etc.

Hotel staff and management was friendly enough, although they could use more help (they seemed overwhelmed).

The bad: Parking was the worst I have ever dealt with at a hotel. Although the car came back in fine shape, I was nervous leaving it with someone who spoke no English. Also, timing or return was very inconsistent; sometimes I'd wait five minutes, other times 30 minutes.

The bathrooms were small and the toilet didn't function very well.

On the whole, this hotel is fine for people who are looking more for a comfortable, reasonably stylish room to sleep in (but not spend their vacation in). It's also fine for budget-conscious business travelers who want to stay in South Beach. I wouldn't recommend it for people who are looking for luxury and full-service amenities. I also wouldn't recommend it for people who need to have access to their cars more than once a day. People who might need access to hotel staff between 2.00am and 9.00am also won't like this hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
I appreciate your honest opinion. You are right, since we are a small hotel, we do not offer full amenities. We do strive to provide our guests with nothing but the best service, though. One that note, I'm relieved to say that we have switched valet parking companies and the service has improved 100%. Hope you stay with us again next time. Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
atlanta
Reviewed March 16, 2010

The pictures on the website make this hotel look soo much better than it actually looks. My best friend and I decided to stay here for the week in order to relax and enjoy a much need vacation. Upon arrival at the hotel we were told that the staff leaves at 1am and doesn’t return until the morning, so if you need any assistance or if you are locked out of your room……. tough. Once we got into the room it smelled horribly. We had to ask for air freshener, and we received some, the cinnamon spray made the room smell worse. The staff at the hotel was beyond rude, if they do not want to answer your question they will pretend as if they do not know English. That very night we found ants all in the kitchen, mind you the staff leaves so there was no one to report this to. We had to use all that we had to kill the ants and that was the cinnamon spray we received to kill the musty odor earlier. The next morning around 8am house keeping knocked on the door once then opened it and started to clean. Both my friend and I were sleep in the bed and told her that we were sleep, and asked if she could come back. She pretended not to understand English, cleaned the bathroom and left, that was it for housekeeping, a clean bathroom our entire stay. She left sheets on the bed for us to make up ourselves. We told her about the ants and she said she got rid of them along with the wasp nest in the bathroom. So that we would not have to deal with ants again the next night when the staff left we went to the front desk to ask for ant spray. The manager at the desk could not believe that we had ants in our room and demanded to see them. She came up to the room and we showed her the ants, some of which were still there, she told us that someone would have to go and buy some bug spray for us because quote, “honestly we do have cock roaches, but no ants” . Appalled I knew this stay would only get worse. Later on this night we were looked out of our room, the key did work but the door was jammed, the man at the front desk had to use a butter knife to pry the door open because “he had no tools”. This was right around mid night, mind you if we had been an hour late we would have been sleeping on the hall flooring until the staff returned in the morning. There is so much more to be said but I feel that this is more than enough, I am in my twenties, a easy person to please, and a frequent traveler and I HAVE NEVER EXPERIECEND A HOTEL LIKE THIS IN MY LIFE. I believe Motel 6 would have provided far greater service than this establishment. DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2010
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I'd like to offer you our sincere apologies for not giving you the high standard of hospitality which is the norm of our hotel and staff. We sincerely regret that you did not have a pleasant stay. Moreover, it seems as if you had experienced all the possible bad things that can happen to a guest. I wish we could make amends and please know that we did our best to make you feel comfortable. Unfortunately sometimes our efforts are not enough.

As guest relations manager I am always on the client's side. However, I must also be fair, and in this case, there are some things I must clarify:
- We do not have roaches or any other kind of insects, nor would any member of our staff affirm so. Our hotel (as well as all hotels in Miami Beach) is subject to periodical inspections that need to be passed in order to stay open. In other words, we could not operate in such conditions.
- We do have lots of plants outside the building and given our climate, creatures such as lizards, palmetto bugs, possums, iguanas, and of course ants, are found everywhere around our city. Many travelers are not aware and perhaps if some food was left out in the room, the ants found it and made their way in. Please, understand that I am not implying that you are not telling the truth. I am simply trying to make sense of this unusual situation
- We have frequent staff meetings and we have discussed your comments when your review was posted.

We take negative reviews as an opportunity to evaluate our performance and make any adjustments needed. Rest assured that this wasn't an exception. The evidence of improvement is on the many positive reviews we have received since your visit last March. I personally thank you for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Croatia
Reviewed March 14, 2010

As somebody wrote before, I definetly agree this hotel needs improvement in cleaning service. Feels so dirty, I was disgust to walk without shoes in the room as the floor was so dirty,to take a shower, enter the bathroom, to take a towel (full of long black hairs). Especially the bathroom should be cleaned in a perfect way.
Location is great, right in center, but might get really loud during the night. Also, other people staying in the hotel kept walking through the corridor screamingand being loud...
If these things could be brought to higher level of standard it would really be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
ORSuites, Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Guest,

We understand that our apologies will never make up for the bad experience you had during your stay, and although we don’t have an excuse for the event, we would like you to know how sorry we are for this inconvenience. Our team has worked very hard to remedy this situation, and bring the property to a higher level of standard, as you wisely suggested.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed in the hotel for a couple of nights only.

Pros:
*spacious rooms
*including a small microwave and fridge for self-catering (supermarkets are walking distance)
*flat screen TV.
*Central location, room was still still relatively quite.
*free wireless internet

Cons:
*Room made a rather dirty impression despite a recent renovation - which apparently consisted mainly of some fresh paint and a new TV set - and despite of the daily cleaning service: Long hairs to be found in the daily exchanged towels and also in the bedding, big stains on the carpet, grease on the table, crawling insects in the bathroom,...
*No window screens (ie mosquitoes/flies could come in freely). As mentioned by other reviewers, small flies did use this opportunity and were present at all times
*FLEAS in the room (noticed only in the last night that those mosquito bites actually were not from mosquitoes)

With improved cleanliness this hotel could easily compete with other budget-priced Miami Beach places - but with the present pest infestation this place can not be recommended to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

In the name of the management and staff at the Ocean Reef Hotel, I offer you our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your past stay in February.

The things you mention as "cons" have been addressed. Staff has been re-trained, or in some cases, replaced. The property has been under daily maintenance work and we have changed laundry companies to once and for all stop the linen nightmare.

I hope you give us another chance to prove to you that we are an excellent place to stay. If you decide to come back in the future, I will personally make sure that your stay is nothing but perfect.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Rented this room for one night pre-cruise. Convenient to everything in South Beach. Rooms were clean, sofa converted to a futon bed which was nice because we had a friend staying in the room. Mattress on queen bed was a thick futon on a platform. Slept o.k. after the person upstairs quit walking around or dancing - whatever he/she was doing. I think there must be apartments above the rooms.

The one reason I'd hate to recommend this hotel to a friend is because the shower had no warm water. It was hot or it was cold. All three of us agreed that it was the worst shower we had ever taken. Even though it clearly looked like the rooms had been remodeled, the bathroom still looks like the original.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I appreciate your giving us a fair review. We have been working to solve the situation with the water temperature and most rooms have been fixed. Send us an email next time you plan a trip to Miami. We will make it up to you.
London
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Booked this hotel through Hotels.com - it was called "Ocean Reef Suites", but given it has the same address and the "Ocean Reef Hotel" sign outside the hotel, I assume it goes by both names.

Positives:
The room was an adequate size, had a comfortable bed and decent bathroom. The kitchen had a microwave, two electric hobs, and a fridge which was enough.
The location was perfect- a few blocks away from Espanola Way, Lincoln Road and the shops on Collins Ave. And despite it being on Collins, it was reasonably quiet. Also having the kitchenette meant that I didn't always have to eat out, which saved a lot of money.

Negatives:
The hotel has supposedly been renovated and redecorated recently but it seemed more like it had a lick of paint, a few cheap furniture additions and a new name ("Ocean Reef Suites") rather than anything major. The soap holder was broken, and a few other things in the suite looked like they had been there for years, so I doubt it's been given a full makeover.
Also there were a few little flies that seemed to always be in the room. Nothing to the point of infestation level, but they were kind of annoying and seemed to be attracted to open food.

All in all, it was a nice hotel. Nothing too luxurious, but perfectly comfortable for a short stay. Great value for money too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We want you to know that a lot has been done since you were here. You stayed with us right after we had re-opened and some things were unfinished then. As we approach our first year anniversary we are happy for all that was achieved, but we also know that there are things that we can still improve and are working to do so. We hope you can see it for yourself next time you honor us with your visit!