I have had the good fortune to travel throughout the United States and Europe. I am reasonable in my expectations and believe you get what you pay for. I feel it is my responsibility to warn anyone who is thinking of staying here of the experience I had. I hope to avoid anyone else from having the same experiences.
I traveled to Miami Beach for a conference and to check out local colleges with my son. I stumbled across this accommodation on trip advisor and based on reviews decided to give it a try.
Pros: Ray is very nice when making the reservation and free continental breakfasts are provided upon arrival.
Cons: 1. When making the reservation you don't know what room you are getting. I asked several times and the response was always "all rooms are equal quality." Ray told me later that he placed us in his premium room and didn't charge us for it. There was no mention of different fees for different room on the website.
2. Have to pay in cash or check, no credit cards.
3. The building is very old and smells it! Has that musky-moldy smell that a good cleaning would take care of!
4. BEWARE: you will be hit for fees once you get to the room. For example, Ray left a pink laminated paper saying I would have to pay him $100 deposit for the parking permit. He also said that I owed him $10 a day for the futon as it was considered a separate sleeping space. None of that information was every communicated to me prior to the trip, on the website or on our invoice.
5, Ray's reaction to my questions were unprofessional and rude. For example, when questioned about a reduced rate for the day the water was being shut off he became EXTREMELY hostile and belligerent. He didn't care that we could not use the toilet!
6. The room and furnishings are very outdated and in need of a cleaning. The room itself was dirty and needed a deep cleaning too. The carpet was worn and dirty and the bathroom had a great deal of grime.
7. The parking is ridiculous. Although provided a permit to park, we were not told that the parking was only for the street. As a matter of fact, Ray said that they would call him first before towing any car, but that was not the case! Our car was towed at the tune of $300. When I questioned Ray he again, became defensive and belligerent! He was so out of hand I had to tell him to leave our room!
Overall, the lack of professionalism of Ray bordered on harassment. I felt mislead regarding the parking not to mention all the other fees he sprung on us when we arrived. There are way too many hotels to choose from in Miami Beach (for the same price) to stay here. It was a terrible experience and I would not recommend it at all.
- Also Known As:
- The Mantell Plaza Hotel Miami Beach