“Be Wary of Listings!!!”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #84 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 23, 2013

You pay for what you get, or so I thought.

This place, as many other reviews state, is simple and affordable. It was clean, did the job considering how much you pay. A few nice perks such as free internet and free happy hour drinks--the server was extremely friendly and good, especially considering the other service you can get in South Beach.

We had the option of 1 queen bed or 2 full beds. I chose the 1 queen bed and the bed we had in our room was definitely 1 full bed. If I had known I wasn't going to get a queen bed, I would have requested two fulls. I spoke to the front desk attendant who told me she was going to put it in a email to the general manager, but I never heard back. I would have expected a phone call and an explanation and either a new room or compensation for the issue.

For that reason, I will likely consider another hotel next time I'm in town. Or at least request a room with 2 double beds...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shraffo
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

We thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel and the free Internet service we offer, and that you enjoyed the free happy hour drinks and friendly service you received while you were here. We do apologize for the issue with your guestroom bed and we will certainly discuss the way it was handled with our front desk staff. We thank you for taking the time to send us your helpful feedback.

There are newer reviews for Penguin Hotel

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I visit penguin last autumn and liked it very much.
Top place on Ocean drive...close to everything (lincoln road).
very good price top to beat and the staff is super dooper.
U do not have to stay on O Drive.
Espanola and Lincoln road is perfect for restaurants and shopping

ricky drouin
montreal

Room Tip: ask for the top room on top!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Rick. Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and that our staff took good care of you during your stay. We are glad that you liked the location of our hotel and we hope you were able to take full advantage of it while you were here. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you make the choice to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Needed a great hotel to grab some quick, much needed sun and fun in Jan. This choice fit the bill. While I was a bit skeptical that it may not fit the needs and mercedez benze taste of my lady friend, it won! Art deco, centrally located to everywhere, it got my thumbs up.

The hotel could do a little better with the cleaning of the bathrooms and the cost of valet was crazy!

From what I previously saw from the show, they have made monumental strides in saving their prime real estate on Ocean Drive.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

We appreciate you sending us your thoughts about your recent stay. We are happy to hear you and your friend were pleased with the decor and central location of the hotel, and that it made for a pleasant experience for the both of you. Your feedback is very helpful to us and we will be sure to discuss the maintenance of the bathrooms with our housekeeping staff. We thank you for making the choice to stay with us and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised during our stay. It was overwhelming to look online for a hotel room at South Beach and not break the bank. I thought our room was beautiful, did not mind the small, simple design of room and bathroom. We were only there to sleep. Only complaint is the very squeaky mattresses, those should be updated, replaced. Besides that, our room was nice and quiet for sleeping.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thanks so much for your review Liz!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

It's a nice art deco hotel located in a really great spot on Ocean Drive. Breakfast was delicious (pancakes, choc chip belgium waffle, cafe latte) but expensive! Very nice waiters and receptionists. Wonderful comfortable big beds! The worst was the cleaning, vacuuming or brushing floors and bathrooms wasn't good enough 'cause we found hairs everyday everywhere so that wasn't nice!!

1  Thank Casanova79

Dear Casanova79,
Thanks so much for your input. We will research on the cleaning issues you had while staying with us. In regards to our breakfast being too expensive, I disagree with you as we have carefully placed our prices to be extremely competitive for the Ocean Drive area.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

South Beach hotels for decent prices are almost always hit or miss, and this is a combo of both.

Location is great. The room was bright, clean, large, though a mirrored wall was a little much. Bathroom also very clean and a nice size, so no complaints there. A/C was an under-the-window unit like lots of Ocean Drive older hotels have. Front desk staff quite friendly!

The hallways are the WORST I have ever seen (and I have seen some pretty bad ones in my younger days when I could only afford real dive places). Dark in color, bad paint job, ugly ugly carpet, grossly inadequate light, even ugly doors and door signs. About $150 worth of paint and lighting per floor would make a HUGE difference here.

The bed was two singles shoved together, and not very comfortable--lumpy mattress.

They wanted a resort fee for the internet and a breakfast, but since we were leaving quite early we opted out. At least it was optional--lots of times SoBe hotels are on the rip-off bandwagon of making these undisclosed fees mandatory.

So, all in all, not bad, but certainly not luxury.

2  Thank bkcarolina
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear BKCarolina,
I have to be honest with you, I agree with you that our hallways could be nicer but you'd be surprised how many people think our "money rain" images are a true conversation piece...Thanks for the nice comments though and to the bad ones, I promise you we will try our best to resolve. You take care!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Overall it was a simple hotel with some nice little touches. The staff was nice. The room was not super awesome but not bad. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay and if you're not going to hanging out in the hotel room all day then this is a good place to stay.
My only compliant is the size of the bathroom and how the shower area was designed. If you're not careful when taking a shower you can end up with a lot of water on the bathroom floor. The hallways, at least on the second floor where I was, were dark blue and the lighting was poor. Their free continental breakfast is very simple with toast, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee, but you can order bigger breakfasts as well.

My 4 night/5 day trip was good for staying at this hotel. For the location I am overall pleased.
They charge a $15 resort fee per day that gives you 2 free happy hour drinks between 5-7PM, the wireless internet password, and access to use of beach towels and chairs.

There isn't any on property parking, but there is a city parking garage at 13th St. and Collins Ave. that is about a block and a half away, which isn't a far walk. The cost is $20 for 24 hours of parking. They also offer valet parking but I didn't use their service.

1  Thank Dustin1980

Dustin1980,
Thanks for your comments! I believe they show the true essence of who we are, a boutique hotel on a great location with very affordable rates. Come back soon!