“Dirty sheets!”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #80 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed November 2, 2012

There were stains and hair on my sheets! I asked the front desk the next morning for them to be changed, they were not. I then found the card in the room which you lay on your bed to have the linens changed, again they were not. This is the filthiest hotel I have ever stayed at! Location was great & the patio restaurant was nice, but I cringed having to go to my room!

7  Thank Heh86
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Heh 86,
This must have been a huge misunderstanding...If anything, I can tell you that our most common "flaw" is to change the bedsheets too often, even when guests don't request this service. I am extremely surprised to hear that the opposite happened to you. In any case, I apologize for what you had to go through while staying with us. On the other hand your room phone has a button that calls Housekeeping Dept directly; you could have requested your bedsheets to be exchanged immediately and we would have done so in less than 10 min. Thanks for letting us know about our inconvenience though.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

On the plus side, it's on the ocean front and has air conditioning. The bathroom is clean. Otherwise, it's basically a dump. There's an overhead light but no reading lights. The drapes don't completely close. The floor is grey tile and doesn't look particularly clean. There's exposed piping in th room. The hallways look dumpy. Taxi fare from the Amtrak station is about $40.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank solo_female_12

My dear Solo_Female_12,
We are so sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay at the Penguin Hotel. In regards to some of your concerns, I've got to say you are one of the only guests that have requested a reading light in South Beach....South Beach is a party place, not too many guests come here to read but I understand your point. The exposed piping you mention are called sprinkler system and yes, even though they are as ugly as they come, we cannot cover them otherwise in case of fire, our guests would be in great danger. Aside from that, I'm glad to hear you thought are bathrooms were clean and our location was good. Thanks for your review.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lust in Space huge bed, great room with great views not of the beach but great bodies stripping off next door. The room was clean and a quite place to sleep after a noisy night on the Drive. The staff were great and really helpful and friendly. Bonus was the guest Happy Hours many thanks for that.
We had a great stay and beginning to our wonderful trip around Florida. Thanks for the great tips for eating on the Keys and I hope the guy who's kids were reading the Hunger Games decided to read himself. Anyone who decides to stay here should go with a free spirit and remember that Miami is for Fun and an experience well worth having. If we ever return to Miami the Penguin will be where we stay. Thanks for the Fun.

Room Tip: Lust in space huge bed a good quite nights sleep
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you Gina for this review! You are the best!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We spent the night at the Penguin Hotel hotel and still feel itchy when I think about it. It looks ok when you first walk into your room but soon you will wish you were staying somewhere else. The bathrooms are not clean. The rim around the sink was clearly not wiped down. It appears that the seat and rim of the toilet were cleaned but the rest of it was not. We found a HUGE cockroach in the bathroom and then one under the bed.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank USANEIL

Dear USANEIL,
We have biweekly pest control inspections so I am very surprised to hear that you found 2 roaches in your room.
In any case we will take care of this issue to make sure it doesn't happen to any other guest in the future. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I was in Miami for a couple of days and I have heard for friends about staying in ocean drive, something like bad coustomer service or low standards of accommodation well let me tell you for my experience that I had a blast , no complains at all , my stay at the penguin was more than I expected, very good service , clean and comfortable, will be back for sure next time by south beach!

• Stayed: October 2012
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Hey perritus,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. It makes us feel like it's all worth it!
Should you come back to South Beach, please contact us directly and we will take good care of you.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This place is the best Hotel to stay in South Beach, everyone was super friendly and accomodating that we were planing to extend our reservation. Unfortunately, they were very busy on the weekend so we had to leave, but I will come back for sure. We loved it. Thanks to all.

TortorasFlas,
Thanks so much for this great comment! Come back soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed her with a few mates on a Thursday and Friday in late Sept. Saw some previous poor reviews for the hotel, but we just wanted somewhere clean, convenient & well located at a good price where we could sleep. Room cost just $68 per night plus $15 per room resort fee (which paid for itself as it included towels, beach chairs, in-room safe, breakfast & a free drink at happy hour), booked on internet. Only parking is valet & incurs a $30 per day charge. Don't know what some people expect for their money! Put on review about lack of pool, but same firm own President literally round the corner & guests at The Penguin can use those facilities too.
Excellent location on Ocean Drive right opposite beach & a short walk form nightlife. Rooms more than adequate & ours were both kept clean. All staff were friendly & helpful, especially Fabio on reception. Would definitely stay here again & use money I save to spend on having a good time in Miami

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank martin_boro3
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Martin_boro3,
Thanks so much for writing this comment. It's so incredibly honest and I am so glad to hear you were able to understand our true value: low rates, great service, amazing location. Come back soon and take advantage of our special discount for Trip Advisor reviewers. Please mention this review next time you book with us. Thanks again.