“Very displeased and disgruntled.....”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #84 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 4, 2012

First things first checked in on Aug 3rd...room was quite small, tubs come with a handheld shower,which made it impossible to shower. Toilet was running water from supply line and to top it off we got accused of stopping the tub up with sand!...WTH?..maintenance man couldn't un- stop drain so we were moved to the "decoy" room which was right across from the noisy kitchen with a see thru door. GM offered us a late check out to compensate for the inconvenience even though we had to move all of our items from one room to another.Room has poor lighting with a open window in bathroom...and to top it off we have extra company...NATS!...GM and other staff members seem very unconcerned and inconsiderate with our stay for the days to come...PLEASE DON'T BE BAM BOOZLED!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jen3123
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Jen3123,
I was made aware of your complaint this morning. You did not speak to me, by the way, but with the Director of Rooms. As far as I'm concerned, we tried our very best to accommodate you in a better room given your initial issues. Some of the information you provide in this review is incorrect such as the fact that you had to move your own luggage, which we did for you, while you went on a daily cruise. You requested valet parking charges to be removed from your account when you had no problems with the valet parking and to this, we refused. We were not made aware of some of other issues you said you had in your second room, such as having a "see through" door and ants. You told us that you wanted to be moved from the second rooms because there weren't enough mirrors in this room for 3 ladies. If I have the wrong information, please contact me directly to discuss further. I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

There are newer reviews for Penguin Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've never written a negative review online before, but this hotel was an absolute DISASTER!!! I wish there were a way to give fewer stars to the Penguin and President hotel - they almost ruined our whole vacation.

We booked a three night stay for three people at the Penguin Hotel, and they started off our stay by losing our reservation altogether. I asked for a manager, and there was nobody available. They moved us to their "connected" hotel, the President Hotel, which costs just as much as the Penguin Hotel but is not on the beach. It was too late to try to find another room, so we checked into the President Hotel. At $160 dollars a night, the room was absolutely filthy - the sheets were stained and the floor was so dirty that we all kept our shoes on all weekend. There was a massive window in the bathroom that overlooked the street and was located directly inside the shower stall (?!?!?!) We told the front desk there were three of us staying in the room, and we would need three bath towels, and we asked them to put up some sort of shade in the shower stall. They said they would put up the shade, which they never did, and then they actually refused to give us three bath towels on our first day there?!?!?!?! We actually went to Walgreens and bought our own towels!!! We were also told that the "free continental breakfast and wi-fi" was only included if we paid an extra $45 dollar "resort fee", so we passed on that too. There was no maid service on our first day, and when we complained to a manager he told us that the maid didn't understand the sign requesting maid service (?!?!?!) but that our room would be cleaned that day and the linens would be changed. When we returned that day, all of the same linens were in our room and just re-folded and nothing else had been cleaned.

The rooms are not sound proof, so you should expect to hear every sound in the hall. Screaming children, teenagers coming in at 4 am, we heard absolutely everything - I've never heard so much noise in a hotel. And despite the fact that the rooms are absolutely filthy, for some reason they vacum all the halls multiple times a day.

When we left the hotel, for the first time ever, someone at the front desk was actually nice to us and apologized that our stay was such a disaster. We were all floored that he was actually nice and thanked him for being the first courteous staff member we had met. He said that if we sent our friends back to the hotel, he would make sure they had an enjoyable stay. At that point, we all just laughed. Send our friends there??!?! I wouldn't recommend this place to someone I absolutely hated!!!

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank happytravels0810

Hello again,
I just responded to your review for our sister property,The President Hotel. You made it very clear that you were extremely unhappy with both our hotels. We wish we could have done something to remedy this situation while you were here but unfortunately, we weren't given the opportunity. Thanks for your comment.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Okay. I soooooo should've listened to the other reviews on here. Yes, the room smelled of mold - all day everyday. #2 - if you raised the temperature on the AC to above 70 degrees the mirrored- walls fog up, the floor becomes soaked with water/condensation and everything just feels wet and icky! The worst.

So, in order to not be wet with humidity/condensation while in the room, it basically has to be an ice-box. Okay, that's fine. But the vent shoots directly onto the bed! So don't let your hair be wet, bc then your head'll freeze.

There was no fan in the bathroom to ventilate while showering...just making matters even worse.

Oh and the bed.....yikes!!!! The mattress was depressed in the middle, sunken down.
TV remote never worked. Hated it! Hated it! Hated it!

Only thing good about this place was the cute/nice bartender and his bellinis. The location is great, but the facility is pitiful. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank FancyFree4454
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Fancyfree4454,
We apologize for not having been up to your standards. Should you have mentioned something to our management team while you were still here, I can assure we would have done everything possible to make your stay more pleasant. The Penguin Hotel has a lot to offer but if you did not feel this was the place for you, we even have a second property, the President Hotel, which may have been more of your liking. Thanks for bringing these issues up to our attention; we'll make sure they're corrected as soon as possible.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here before a cruise for two days in June. Awesome location across from the beach. Don't let the hallways fool you. The rooms are bright and clean. The staff is very polite. Had breakfast both morning downstairs and was very pleased. The resort fee is worth it. I had my free drinks on the second night. I have found my spot for when I stay in Miami.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thanks very much for this wonderful review!

Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

The penguin hotel is amazing. Me and my family stayed a while back and we found it a very nice and cozy hotel. I disagree 110% with all the negative feedback. I may understand where you all are coming from but I think we should be more mature about it. OK so what if this hotel is not an Extreme resort with 5 pools, casino , and a massage center? The staff and management are doing everything they can to please their costumers, and personally they are doing a great job! Just the name of the hotel gives it a great thing to look forward to, THE PENGUIN HOTEL. It's a great place at a great location and it's nice and cozy. Thanks penguin hotel! I had a lot of fun, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Brandon92x

Brandon92x,
I want to hire you as our P.R. person...Just kidding. You are too kind. Thanks so much for this review. It means the world to me and my staff. We work very hard to offer great people like you a nice place to stay. Come back soon!

Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff, clean room, perfect location, excellent price. We did not try the food but we will next time. We will stay at The Penguin next time in South Beach.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear ClevelandJohn,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. You got it! We have a the perfect combination of service, location and price. Next time you come to Miami Beach do not hesitate to book with us. Have a great one!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I went for independence day for my Graduation celebrations. The best part of the hotel was the location, literally across the road from South Beach, you really can't get no better!

The hotel is quite dark as a whole, but most of the staff are nice and will always give you towels upon towels and give you beach towels to borrow without charge.

Just watch out for the damage deposit they will charge you before you even get your room key. That would have come as a surprise of we didn't use Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank B2CS

My dear B2CS,
I just want to make one minor correction, Incidentals Deposit as we call it, is advertised in every website we work with, including our own, and we also explain it to guests upon arrival plus we make them sign an acknowledgment form about it. That's pretty much all we can do about it. It is a common practice among hotels though; the only difference is that we openly disclose it. Most hotels would hold an extra amount on your credit card as a cushion without you even noticing. Thanks for your nice comment!