“Hope you don't plan on using the toilet.”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #76 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Overall the joint isn't that bad..but the toilet won't flush our bathroom window won't close and the trash can won't open....I decided to iron my shirt and the iron leaked all over my clothes. Other than that it was okk

• Stayed: July 2011
VeronicaPenguin, Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

All I can say if if you had brought these issues up when you were here, I'm sure we could have done something to resolve them and even maybe offer you some sort of compensation. Please, if you read this, contact me directly at vguterman@penguinhotel.com to see if we can do something for you. We are deeply sorry about the unfortunate experience you had at our hotel. It is definitely not a clear portrait of what we are all about. Thanks for the comment though.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Orlando. Being travellers from o/seas, we'd never heard of Memorial w/e in this area. It was flooded with teenagers all w/e and strret drinking was rife/ The hotel was booked online as a "Oceanfront Queen" at an expensive rate. We booked for 2n. When we got there we were given a room down the side with no view at all. We complained to Reception who stated our booking was "run of the house". I stated that it wasnt and still had the confirmation email but she said nothing she an do as they were full. We were also told we HAD to pay $30 for Welcome Drink at night and Continental brekky. We said that was not evident in the website and we didnt want it but she said we HAD to pay for it. I asked to speak to the Manager and eventually got her on the phone as she wasnt there. She apologised about the room and said she'd move us the next day and would see what she could do about refunding some of our money. I also rang hotel.com but they werent interested either. The net day we got moved to the room on the top floor but the elevator only went up as far as 3rd floor and I have mobility problems. Despite leaving our contatc details we were never refunded any money or contacted again.
The rooms were TINY, the bathroom MINISCULE and the air cond very noisy.
The 'bar' isnt there and the cafe advertised has moved down the street!!
What made it even worse was the next day they had an advert saying anyone wanting to stay an extra day (Sunday) it'd be $70!! We'd paid $198/n!!!

Room Tip: Ring hotel direct to ensure you get the room you THINK you've booked
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank franb51
VeronicaPenguin, Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

We're very sorry to hear you have such a terrible experience at our hotel. Memorial Day is definitely a loud and busy time here in South Beach. The first night not having an oceanfront room is surely our fault but as you mentioned you were compensated by being given the best room in our entire hotel which has an amazing terrace overlooking Ocean Drive and the magnificent ocean. That room in itself is worth much more than what you paid per night.The $30 you are be referring must be our Resort which is actually $15/day and includes, Continental breakfast for 2, 2 Happy Hour cocktails, free WI-FI, 2 bottles of water in room, free beach chairs and towels, free use of safe in room and free local calls. We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you had to go through and ask you to please contact us directly at reservations@penguinhotel.com to discuss other alternative compensation that we may be able to offer you. Thanks for the comment.

Reviewed May 11, 2011

Very European feel to the decor here, kind of minimalist elegant. Everything about the place is inviting. Rooms are quiet and clean, comfortable beds, lovely bathroom with good shower. Reception people nice, friendly and helpful. Location is great, close to nightlife, shopping and restaurants.
We paid $130 per night but there was a mandatory $15 each resort fee, this includes beach towels, beach chairs, happy hour drinks (small and seemed almost alcohol free) continental breakfast (no protein, just small danish pastries like in a cheap motel, orange juice, bread and cornflakes) none of this is worth an extra $30 for 2. I think the hotel would do well to make it a voluntary addition.
Porch in front of the hotel great for watching the South Beach life go by.
We loved this place and absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
fmarchese, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

Thank your for your wonderful commentson the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and yes the porch and location are the best for south beach people watching. Across from the beach
and our location is fantastic. The resort fee is $15.00 per day per room, also includes WI-FI
free local calls, safe and bottled water.

Please contact me personally on you next visit to The President or Penguin so I can ensure you
have another wonderful stay.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

I agree with other travelers: great location, good value, and OK service. I was surprised to get free Continental Breakfast and free 2 drinks during Happy Hours. But they have very thin walls. The photos on their website is very deceiving. We heard door slamming, young girls talking loud, I mean really loud disrespectfully, and a couple next door fighting and crying. The hotel needs some upgrading to fix bathrooms, and the bed was horrible with very thin bed sheets. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RedSnapper25
fmarchese, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Thank you for your review. Yes we have one of the best locations in south beach, we are in the process of upgrading some of the hotel areas and the noise issues.

We appreciate you staying with us and hope you will return on your next visit.

Please contact me personally on your next stay.

Reviewed April 24, 2011

We had accumulated some points (air miles type of points) and we did not have enough to go to the Betsy Hotel, a 5star hotel right beside the penguin. Since we did not wanted to add extra money to go, we decided to go to the penguin hotel. We were glad we did, we only spend 3 nights there, it's a basic hotel right on ocean drive, right in front of the beach & lumus park, not even a 2 minutes walk to all the restaurants and clubs of south beach. It was really a good choice. The money we saved for this hotel, we were able to do 5star activities like sailing, jet skiing etc. Make sure you rent bikes for lumus park. 8$ an hour and so much fun. The rooms are simple, nothing amazing, we had no view, but the second you step out of the hotel, you get the full view. The pictures on the hotel site are much better than the real thing, but for this small price you really get prime location. We came in the hotel at 1 oclock in the morning to an empty reception desk because the clerk was sleeping in the storage room, and I forgot a painting I got and ups was not able to return it to me after I had arranged everything with the hotel. Thise were the 2 negative things I have to say, other than that - if you,re on a budget - got for it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
fmarchese, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

I want to thank you for your nice comments on our hotel---we are in the best location--3 blocks from Lincoln road and also across the street from the beach and the park---I apologize for the staff not being at the desk when you needed assistance-this has immediatley been addressed.

I apologize for the issues with UPS also-please contact me personally on your next visit to South Beach so I can ensure that you have another wonderful experience.

Best,
Frank Marchese General Manager

Reviewed April 17, 2011

I was expectIng the worst based on recent reviews but was pleasantly surprised when I checked in. Yes the rooms are small after all it is a 75 year old art deco hotel and small rooms are to be expected. Dark blue hallways bizare. Carmen at the front desk was terrific and helpful. "Resort fee" is a joke, just charge $15 more for the room and stop insulting people. Worst continental breakfast ever, better off hitting Starbucks across the street. Paid for valet and had to walk up the street to get my car the last day because the contractor wouldn't deliver my car because of a special event much farther down the beach. Ticked me off after a good stay.

Room Tip: Ocean corner room is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Golfnut00
fmarchese, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for your comments.

Carmen is one of our most valued employees on our team and her dedication to the hotels is over 10 years, we are proud to have her on board.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the continental breakfast, and I apologize you didn't see value in the resort fee it has been very well received.

I apologize for the parking situation, the City of Miami Beach was having an event on streets 5th
through 15th and we are located on 14th and Ocean, there was nothing the hotel could do,

Again I apologize for this situation.

Please feel free to contact me on your next visit to SOBE so I can ensure you have a wonderful
experience with us.

Frank Marchese General Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2011

I was given this room through Hotwire.com and since you don't get to see which hotel you stay at until you pay, I was really skeptical about the reviews I was reading, but I kept having to tell myself - "you get what you pay for", it was a really good deal.

We booked 3 rooms for 8 girls. The check in was a breeze, but I was a bit caught off guard for the $15/day per room resort fee. As I read in the reviews the hallways smelled strong of disinfectant cleaner. The rooms were a good size and very clean. If it was able to handle 3-4 girls in a room with all of our stuff, then it was all good. The wall are thin, but didn't hear anything more than doors slamming. The internet worked fine. Best part was the beach was just a short walk away. For our all girls trip, this hotel was awesome.

Good Job Penguin!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments on the hotel. I'm glad all 8 of you had a great time. Our rooms are unique good size and we are very proud of our hard working housekeeping staff.

Of course our location 3 blocks from Lincoln Road and directly across from the beach is the best in South Beach.

The resort fee is something new at the hotel bust a very good value with drinks and continental breakfast, beach chairs and towel--WI-FI-free local calls and bottled water in your room daily.

Please contact me personally on your next visit to South Beach