“Not like Shaq's House!”

Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach
Ranked #135 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 29, 2006

One would think that after paying $217 per night at a Sheraton Hotel that I would only have pleasant things to say. This is not the place to be in Miami. First off the elevators are death traps. They are about 100 more rides away from somebody being hurt or seriously injured. Who would build a ten+ story building with only two elevators? Oh yeah and a service elevator which had mind of it's own. One day it stop at every floor without opening the doors till it reached the lower level. The next day it wouldn't even go to the lower level so we had to walk down from the fourth floor. Also, this hotel charges for everything: Roll away bed...$15/day. Breakfast bufett...$12/day. Valet Parking....$18/day. $.50 Hot dogs for $8 at the poolside...Priceless! The biggest surprise is that there is nothing near this place. The only business near here is Walgreens. No restaurants and a cab to south beach can run between 10 to 12 dollars. We walked to Walgreens one night and it look like a bad episode of 21 Jumpstreet. People were all on the corners hanging out in the front of the other hotels like gangs. We stayed here doing Memorial Day weekend and we all wished that we stayed at a nicer hotel closer to South Beach. Especially for $217 per night.

• Stayed: May 2006

NY
Reviewed May 5, 2006

I do not not know why this hotel gets the ratings that it does, we stayed here on a family vacation for 7 days, the service was outstanding, frontdesk associates very helpful, and informative, rooms are very very clean, pool was fantastic, the hotel is just far enough from the intense action, which was nice to be able to take a break, the balcony rooms are outstanding. For the price you pay this hotel is very worth it and the associates are fantastic.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jensen Beach Florida / Sylva North Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2006

I forgot to give a review from our stay last summer. I hope this is helpful. We came to this Hotel because we are Starwood Members. We have stayed in Sheratons, Westons, W's and other Starwood properies over the years and have come to expect a certain level of luxury from this marque. We are well aware that a Sheraton is by no means to be compared to a W or Weston but we have found Sheratons all around the USA to be on a higher level. Atlanta and Nashville come to mind as exceptional Sheratons.

The lobby area and pool area of this particular hotel were very nice. The beach was beautiful as well. We enjoyed walking along the boardwalk and taking in the sights.

The room was not what we were expecting. While generally clean they seemed run down and not as comfortable as any other location. They could have been cleaner but they were passable.

We normally valet our car so it was not a suprise to us to have to do it due to construction. I always tip well and expect in return my car be driven with respect. Unfortunatly the first morning when we sent for the car it came to us with a burning clutch. It seems our little valet friend was either pushing its limits trying to break loose the tires which was impossible to do with a 4000 lb car with a quattro drive train.... or he just could not drive stick. Either way he had no business driving customers cars. I had a few words with the bell captain explaining if they are going to beat on the cars do it on the way to parking them not just before the customer gets in. He smelt the burning clutch too and apolagized profusely.. All I can say is it didn't happen again... at least when it was brought up for us.

This is not a Sheraton that we typically know and love to stay in. There are no heavenly beds. (I love those beds) and the rooms are pretty rough to say the best.

The location is far from the real SoBe scene so plan on a taxi or driving down there. Also the hallways get VERY noisy between 3 and 6 a.m. as all the party people come back to their rooms. We heard one girl screaming int he hallway she was about to go to her room for a threesome. For some weird reason I jumped out of my sleep I am not sure why.

Would I stay there again? Probably not. Not my scene. We returned back to South Beach in Sept 2005 and styed at the Ritz-Carlton over in Key Biscayne. I need to write about that place next. Just wow!!

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york, ny
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Where do I start? I was scheduled to stay here for 4 nights last week. When I checked in the woman at the front desk was very rude and not helpful. We proceeded to my room. When we got off the elevator I immediately smeilled marijuana in the hallway. When I walked towards my room, there were several men in a room with the door open smoking marijuana and blasting loud music. We entered our room and found the room dirty and smelly. The closet smelled like cat urine. I called the front desk to request a room change and to notify them that there were guests smoking marijuana with their door open. The woman at the front desk replied that there were no available rooms. When I asked to speak with the manager she hung up on me. I called the front desk again requesting a manager and she hung up again!! I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest, so I called the main Starwood Preferred Guest number. I spoke to someone there who was very helpful and immediately called the General Manager of the hotel. The person at Starwood called me back and told me to go downstairs and meet with the manager.

When I got off the lobby elevator a man from the hotel approached me and asked my name. He told me that my rental car while parked by valet had just been hit by another guest. The hotel was liable because the car was in their possession. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. I was moved to another room which was not much better, and had to wait for the police officer to come to do a police report. We arrived early afternoon and had planned on spending the afternoon by the pool and beach. Because of all the drama with the rooms and the car, needless to say, we didn't get to do that.

I called my company's travel agent and booked another hotel "The Palms" for the duration of the trip. We did stay one night at Four Points because they would have charged me for the room anyway. I travel a lot for work and vacation. Hands down, this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in my life. The front desk people were terrible and rude. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more for better service. The Palms wasn't cheap but was worth every penny. Splurge you're on vacation and whatever you do, DON'T stay at this dump.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

First impressions are pretty good of this property. The lobby is clean and large and fairly attractive.
Check in was fairly efficient, and the staff was friendly. They granted us an upgrade to an ocean front room just for asking and being a Starwood preferred guest member. The bedding in the room is top rate and very comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel is very reasonably priced, the food is surprisingly good, and the waiters are very attentive and efficient. So much for the good....

The elevators are horrendous. Who needs a casino when you feel like you are gambling every time you get into one. We were there for 5 days and only got stuck in one briefly. I guess we were lucky. The health club/fitness center is a joke. There are 4 machines in it, and only two of them seem to work properly. If you are going there expecting to find what most hotels call a fitness center you will be disappointed. They promise on their website high speed internet throughout the hotel, but it would not work at all in the room for me. The wireless connection was available in the lobby only, and was very spotty at best. The pool is like others have mentioned very pedestrian, and the pool towels are no thicker than a paper towel. We had a leaky faucet in the bathtub that had caused a flood in the bathroom when we checked in, but after we mopped it up ourselves the problem was fixed. The air conditioning conked out on the second day, but maintenance showed up in 30 minutes and fixed it. Nothing seems to run very smoothly in this hotel.

In short, if you are looking for a comfortable bed at a reasonable price, and you don't have high expectations, this could be your place. Just realize what you are getting yourself into when you book the room.

1  Thank Jeff R
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Reviewed April 12, 2006

This hotel is beautiful when you step into the front lobby. It is done very nicely and is very clean. The rooms as well was very nice and a good size. It is right next to the ocean and the board walk. You can go up and down the beach from there and see alot of very interesting scenery and resaurants.
The pool was very nice and it had a little outdoor tiki bar for refreshments right beside the pool.
The food was very good and reasonably priced. I think people tend to over exaggerate and are wanting to have people wait on them hand and foot. Wake up people!! This is a hotel not an all inclusive resort or cruise line!!
This hotel met all of our expectations and had a great location as well.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2006

My husband and I nearly changed our reservation after reading all of the negative comments about this hotel.
We travel extensively and were happy with our clean room, pleasant staff, working elevators, and large pool. Yes, there is valet parking due to the construction of the new parking garage, but this was never a problem. Our car was always brought to the front door on time and a tip was never expected.
The location is wonderful and perfect for long walks on the boardwalk after a busy day.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business