“No sound proofing in this hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach

Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach
Ranked #131 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“No sound proofing in this hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I chose this hotel from the opinion of oyster.com saying it was a quiet hotel. It was nothing but!
No sound proofing what so ever.

All I heard during the day and night was the road noise below our room: horns blarring, cars roaring, loud trucks, motorcycles racing,etc. Also, inside doors slamming all hours of the night, and I mean slamming hard. Then my room neighbors--every spoken word and every TV show all heard right thru the thin walls. It was terrible. I could have overlooked the very, very small room and bathroom had the place at least been quiet, but that it wasn't. My four night miserable stay cost me a total of $856 with the valet parking (not including tips) and was my worst hotel stay in my 57 years of travel.

Asked for a room change after the 1st night and was told all the rooms were just as loud.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
In comparison to other South Beach Hotels…we are quiet; though we do have our moments. Typically our noise comes from the hotel next door. I’ve never had a complaint about traffic noise and your experience sounds like you slept in Indianapolis (speedway) rather than with us. I sincerely apologize for being your worst stay in 57 years.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

very disappointed : what they called "bay view" is in fact a full parking view - and the expected water is far away. So it's a lie and Sheraton have to call that room "parking view" or "city view" to be honnest.
room is basic without any minibar (full or empty) and there is no electric plug at the desk which is very embarrassing to reload batteries.
Windows haven't been washed for months and are dirty.

so you can easily find a better hotel around

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Without question that is the view from room 403. The room is used primarily as a hospitality room; a room for guests who arrive early and would like to "freshen up" while waiting for a room to become available. It is "sold last" when the hotel is full (which happens quite often). All hotels have a number of rooms with "less than desirable views". We are sorry about the view but pleased that we could extend the courtesy of the "refresh".
Many luxury hotels don't offer mini bars...and being a "select service hotel" (providing fewer services than a full service hotel) a mini bar system would not be a consideration. As it stands the Four Points Miami Beach is often “lumped in” with the “W” and the St. Regis simply because we’re on Miami Beach. It’s like comparing the pumpkin to the horse drawn carriage in Cinderella. Guests reserve a room with us because the price is about one-third of the “W” but arrive still expecting….insisting we be the “W”. When we don’t transform into the horse drawn carriage…they’re upset.
There are four electrical outlets on the side of the nightstand. We apologize for their being difficult to find. The windows were washed three weeks ago. Unfortunately the humid salt air will carry enough sand from the beach to not only cloud the windows but will turn a black car gray in under 8 hours. We truly wish you an excellent stay in the near future as based upon your reviews it’s been “a tough go”....and you're overdue.
Once again we apologize for your disappointments.
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in Miami with a group of 5-6 friends. I've stayed at a few properties in Miami beach that were in a "busier" part of Collins Ave. This is definitely a much quieter part, but still extremely close to everything. Almost all of my favorite Miami restaurants are in the Design District/near the Design District, so it was a quick 10min drive from the hotel. Also very close to the nightlife in Southbeach. The hottub and pool are open 24/7 which is great. I also liked the hotel's beach - you can walk all the way down the beach in either direction, but the Four Points Beach is a bit quieter and you have more space to lay around. Breakfast is good too. Rooms are clean and the cleaning staff is extremely friendly. I recommend calling ahead and asking for an oceanview room and if possible a balcony - we did not do that and I wish we had! I thought there would be more families staying at this hotel, but the demographic was mostly young adults, which was great. I did not pay for the hotel rooms, but the price seemed incredibly expensive for the value. I once stayed at the W for a similar price in off-season.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view and balcony.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful review. Miami Beach is a very expensive place. We always suggest shopping around in order to appreciate the value we offer. The "W" would be mortified to hear that their rates were at any time less than three times our rate.
With regard to your tip; we wish it were that easy to provide an ocean view room with a balcony. We allocate rooms based upon SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) status first. The situation becomes complicated when Starwood Reservations books 100 plus SPG reservations or three times the number of SPG’s as there are rooms. We wish we had more suites…and balconies so that we wouldn’t be faced with sending out all those pre-arrival letters informing our most loyal guests that they won’t be getting the upgrade they were hoping for. We want everyone who stays with us happily ensconced in an ocean view room with a balcony. If we have it; you won’t need to ask…we’ll give it.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton recently. I had a very pleasant stay. Yes, the hotel is not the most modern, but I found that the wonderful customer service made up for all of that. Starting with the excellent front desk associate, Jenssen. He was such a great way to start our stay at the hotel. Throughout our stay, Jenssen was polite, professional, and friendly. Couldn't say enough about how excellent he is at his job. And the valet guys and concierge staff and Becky, in the gift shop... all sooo nice. The pool and access to beach was awesome...no complaints. The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff in the restaurant were also very kind, especially the servers. The hotel is a hop, skip and jump to heart of South Beach. Hotel is good value for the money. And the service had a warmth and kindness that I haven't found at other hotels I've stayed at in Miami.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Tray, Thank you for your exceedingly kind review. Having spent several years in the beautiful city of Atlanta; a city filled with warm and friendly people makes the compliment even more important to us. Jenssen is amazing; having returned from a short hiatus. Come back and visit soon.
Sarasota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed Monday night December 3rd, 2013. Overall the hotel and my room were in great shape. No problem with getting hot water quickly (a pet peeve of mine). Room was quiet in that I didn't hear people in the rooms next door or above. I arrived around 5pm and my room wasn't ready yet, but that was OK because the clerk gave me tickets for two free drinks and a free breakfast the next morning. Breakfast buffet was great, except the orange juice had a different aroma than most other orange juices.

The only negative was that the security guard kicked everybody out of the pool at 8pm. Why in the world would the pool close so early? Most other hotels around the world stay open till 10pm, in fact I don't see the big deal in that regard with taking a midnight swim. Can't be a noise issue because the hotel next door had a loud party going on till 2am anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind review as well as some insight. Our policy on pool use is swim at your own risk at all times. Clearly our security was confused which I will address today. I can think of few things more relaxing or inviting than a late night “dip” in the pool. Come….swim….enjoy…PLEASE NO GLASSWARE! Contrary to our neighbors we do have a strict noise policy. We wish everyone had such a policy.
We apologize for the hour delay on your room but I’m pleased that we took the initiative to put a cocktail in your hand and provide breakfast the following day.
The orange juice comment is perplexing. We often send mimosas, screw drivers and fresh combinations of juices produced in-house (Bloody Mary's also…of course) into the lobby and public areas to keep our guests “hydrated”. Hydration can always be a problem in Florida which is why we not only make our own juices (the watermelon is to die for) but also offer the finest water list in Florida (Think wine list with amazing waters from around the world instead). Maybe you ran into one of these?
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Great location, comfortable accommodations but noisy neighbors. We enjoyed the hotel and were happy with the value we received. Nice service, great breakfast and helpful from hailing a taxi to late checkout. Thrilled with an ocean view and balcony, we quickly regretted being on this side of the hotel. Seriously...unhappy with the ocean view??? It starts at 9:00 pm from the property to the south (SoHo?) with loud, pulsating music that goes far into the wee hours of the morning. Awful. So bad for the Four Points. We would happily stay here again, but without some guarantee of a peaceful night we would need to consider another property.

Room Tip: As far from the party all night neighbors as possible!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KalliopeK
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your sympathy. Noisy neighbors is an understatement. The recent Art Basil event was a disappointment for us in that the event on the beach was not announced and we were not notified until the last minute. The only sensation worse than the loss of sleep is the sense of helplessness for a hotelier in being unable to “pull the plug” on such an event. We are extremely sorry.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel is a mixed bag. The hotel is clean and the pool and beach areas are nice. The free tea and coffee all day is a nice touch. The hotel restaurant is excellent but doesn't get many customers after breakfast as it is a little souless which is a shame as the food is good. The beds were comfortable and the room as expected. I think they should have spent a little more on the refurb - clearly they have done the basics but if they had a gone a little further it would look better as it is now a mish mash of styles.

Now for the bad - the walls are not properly soundproofed - you can hear the conversations from the guests in the next room. I am a heavy sleeper so not bad for me but if you aren't this is not the hotel for you.

The real low point for me however was the fact that they had no shower facilities poolside at all - nor could they offer a courtesy room for 30 minutes to take a shower in there - I don't need anything grand just a basic working shower! With checkout at 11am and flights bound for London (and the rest of Europe) leaving in the evening this is pretty poor. When I asked the front desk they gave me conflicting information as to whether there was a shower and so I finally got the duty manager out to speak to me (she did everything she could to avoid it) and she just said we are not " a resort" in my opinion if you offer a pool and a beach you should offer a shower. She (and the rest of the front desk) had a complete lack of customer service and did not even try to find a solution (ie suggest a hotel where you could go for the day). As it was we went next door to the Fountainebleu and paid for a massage and used their fabulous facilities for the whole day (highly recommended).

On balance I can't recommend this hotel.

3 Thank anna7643
mamidon, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for you excellent review. Each review provides us with the opportunity to address aspects of our hotel that might otherwise go unrecognized. You have made some excellent points and we are grateful. The hotel is currently a bit of a “mish mash” due to the fact that we are still renovating some areas of the hotel. There remains some old as well as some new. If we were getting married it would be fine (we have blue too) however; this was during your stay and clearly you were disappointed.
Chef Andres offers his thanks with regards to the compliments about his food and his only disappointment is that you weren’t traveling with the individual that posted the previous review.
I think our desk may have been confused about “the missing shower” due in part because the multi-nozzle shower is right at poolside. It is surrounded by a gorgeous Blue Sky Flowering vine and so they might have wondered if you missed it. The other thought is that the desk might have wondered about “your plans for the use of the shower” as it is “partially exposed”. This of course has not stopped people in the past from making “full use” of the shower; much to the dismay of onlookers as well as the alarm of our staff. It is after all Miami Beach….and Los Vegas doesn’t have a patent on “the unusual”.

During the time of your stay the hotel was “completely full” and the usual three “courtesy rooms” had been taken for individual guests. We are even more disappointed than you when this happens because we are very much an international hotel with guests arriving at all hours and they always arrive fatigued. Our most common complaint is that guest rooms are not available at the time of arrival. What arriving guests often fail to recognize is that they’ve arrived hours before their reservation takes affect….and their room currently is in the possession of another person.
We deeply regret that you were disappointed.