“No 4 star here”

Lily Leon Hotel
Ranked #164 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC
Reviewed July 19, 2005

This is no where near a 3 or 4 star hotel. At best, a Motel Six. Upon entering the hotel, I was disappointed. Pictures on internet are totally misleading. There is no restuarant or room service. Bathroom had ants. TV cabinet held up on one end by a large wad of paper. Door had to be slammed to shut. Happy Hour was gin and your choice of a fruit juice. The food menu was limited. The only good thing about this hotel is location.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 10, 2005

This is defiantly not a 3 star hotel! The only thing going for this hotel is it’s location.
Our room was very dark and shabby, the fridge had seen better days (rusty), although the safe was good. The breakfast was very basic; toast, pound cake or cereal with coffee and orange juice.The ‘happy hour’ consisted of vodka with either orange or cranberry – opposed to the other South Beach Group hotels where you can get any spirit. We missed the shuttle on arrival but took it back to the airport saving us the $30 taxi fare, which made paying $40 resort fee not seem too bad but bad enough.
We are not fussy people but if you pay for a 3 star hotel you would expect more, it is defiantly a 2 star.
Just a word of warning, charges where taken from my credit card that where not approved, I’m looking into this now.
I wouldn’t recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank dusk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2005

I arrived in Miami Thursday evening. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was very disappointed. We made reservations for a premium suite. Per the hotel's website, each of these rooms came equipped with a kitchen, which is what influenced our decision. I immediately returned to the front desk to request the correct room. I was told that the hotel was overbooked and they had no more rooms. After asking to speak with the manager, I was told he would not be in until the next morning. Once I returned to the room, I noticed several things were either missing or not working properly from the clock on the wall, no alarm clock, to uncleaniless. Throughout the night, I heard complaints from various other people staying at the hotel. One customer arrived at about 2 in the morning, to find out that they had 3 males in the room, they give them one king size bed. The customer was upset to the point where we heard him and the front desk agent arguing through the wall of our room, which woke all of us up. After which, we walked to the desk, and found the customer had the same issue we did. Apparently the hotel was changing reservations based on the number of occupants stated to be in the room, but continuing charge people for the rooms they booked. I finally spoke to the manager at about 4 p.m. the next day by which point I had stopped by the desk at least 9 times to speak with him. When speaking with him he displayed I don't care attitude as though this was not their problem. Manager offered absolutely no compensation for the incovenience/discrepency. Manager/staffs response to issues was the same all weekend. All around we were very disappointed. In all we booked 3 rooms at this location. All 3 reservations were changed. It was also a struggle to get towels. We ended up have to make our own.
We also had one room at their sister property the Hotel Shelly, which was located directly acroos the street. That reservation was also changed after booking. They put four of my friends in a king room that resembled a closet. The bed took up the entire room. There was only about 2 feet between the bed and the walls. The lobby looks fantastic. They have plasma tvs and nice sitting areas, but the rooms were horrible.
I wouldn't recommend these hotels to anyone who is looking to enjoy their vacation.
A Very Dissatisfied Customer

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Loud, inconsistent, poorly managed and over-priced are just a few words to describe my experience at the Lily Leon. We paid $345/night for something that should have been lined-priced to the Motel 6. I will never stay at the Lily Leon or on Collins Ave ever again. First of all we were charged for a Premium Suite and received a double on night one, then had to pack all of our things and move to a new room on day two. When we requested towels, they were repeatedly out of wash cloths so we ended up ripping the large towels into smaller towels. The shower did not have anywhere to put your soap, shampoo, etc. and the water was luke warm. The room's lighting was horrible, so putting on make-up was a severe chore. Did I mention the refrigerator that does not keep drinks cold. After 3 days in the Freezer, you would think that a bottle of water would freeze. We were very dissatisfied with the managements reactions to our concerns and the maid service. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Reserved a premium suite, but received a double room and was still charged for premium suite. Never any towels available. Had to cut up large towels to make small wash cloths. Horrible service fom the maids up to management. Manager was never around to resolve any problems. Also, it was extremely noisy. Garbage trucks ran during the hours of 7am to 9am banging outside your window. Website is 95% off from the truth of the actual rooms. Please beware!!!

2  Thank KGenise
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I stayed during Memorial Day weekend. I went w/6 other friends and had a wonderful time. The executive suite was nice and roomy. The outside seating area was great, enjoying lots of scenary, and great for relaxing and mingling. The hotel was in the middle of all the action, very close to any and everything you may have wanted to get into. The only thing that was terrible was the noise in the morning, if you wanted to sleep late, that was impossible because of the trash pick up. Other than that, everything else was nice. The staff was nice and friendly, and extremely helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking to be in the middle of all the action.

1  Thank nabisd
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Lily Leon between May 12th-15th. We had read reviews so obviously a little concerned, but for the price we paid we decided it was worth a shot. I had stayed across the street at Hotel Shelley 3 years back and didnt' have any complaints. We took the free shuttle from the hotel which saved us some $$. Make sure your there a few minutes early as the shuttle does not really stop for long and it actually arrived early for the 1pm pickup and left airport at about 12:55pm.

Upon arrival at the hotel our room wasn't ready but they were able to keep our bags in a back room so we could stroll along Ocean Dr. They took our cellphone #'s and called as soon as it was ready. Our bags were sitting in the room waiting for us which was nice as there is no elevator and our room #408 was up stairs. We were very pleased with layout and decor. Our room was equipped with a minifridge, microwave, and sink, also had a cool cd player stereo that was a nice touch. This came in handy for our snacks and drinks. Room was a bit small but we didn't plan to be in there much so that was ok. Bathroom was just tiny (standup shower only) and only 1 person can be in there at a time. At times when trying to shower we would have to wait 5-7 minutes before hot water was available :(.

Staff was very nice and gave us great ideas of different things to check out around South Beach. We got passes for a few nightclubs from the staff also. We found room service was hit and miss, we called front desk to as for our room to be cleaned. After returning 3 hours later we found our room still wasn't cleaned so we tracked down a housekeeping lady and asked her to clean our room. As posted by others the noise in the morning can be very annoying and you feel like your windows are wide open even when they are shut. I found though that I eventually got used to it and was able to sleep thru it. Earplugs are definetly not a bad idea.

We didn't eat there but the kitchen was operational so thats a option. Great place to mix and mingle as there is lots of room to relax on comfy couches in front of the hotel. Happy hour was a nice touch even tho its only house vodka avail for the 1 hour. Thats when most hotels guest came down and exchanges activitie plans for the day. Location in proximity to beach and nightlife action was incredible. Walking distance to the beach and all the clubs on Washington Ave. Overall I would stay at the Lily again if the price was right.