“Blue Moon...great place”

Ranked #51 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 28, 2005

We needed a quick break from work. We booked the trip just 2 days before going and were sooooo pleased with the Blue Moon. I'd heard horror stories about bad Miami hotel rooms that look great on the internet. I don't think the pictures fully reflect the beauty, the lobby and stairwells are beautiful. The elevator is a little scary:)...besides that and the birdbath pool everything was wonderful. The room was a little small, but that's to be expected directly on that strip. The location was PERFECT!!! Two blocks away from shopping, The News Cafe and Wet Willies. We were right in the middle of everything and never took a cab the whole 4 days. The room was clean and nicely decorated, the bathroom was beautiful and the tv reception was great. Ants are a minor problem as in any tropical setting. The staff was extremely nice especially Emilio...
We had a great time and will definitely be staying at the Blue Moon again!
P.S. The Blue Moon has a AAA 4 Diamond rating (so does the Ritz-Carlton and the Loews)

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 19, 2005

Located on Collins Avenue, just one block from the main strip on Ocean Drive, the Blue Moon was ideal. Just 3 minutes walk down to the News Cafe every morning for breakfast (a must) and amongst all the bars, restaurants and clubs for which South Beach is rightly famous yet still very peaceful at night (maybe some of the other rooms were round the back but ours was facing the centre of the hotel and very quiet). It is decorated in keeping with the art deco features of the hotel and whilst it is not the sort of place to spend hours enjoying the facilities (since there aren't many), that's not the reason to go to Miami anyway! The reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful and for the price (very, very good value in summer), you will struggle to do better. Sure, you could pay top whack in the Delano or Fontainebleue and if you are a resort type of person, fine, but if you want to get out and see the delights of a truly great city then I can not recommend the Blue Moon highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank AndyTBirmingham
Reviewed July 3, 2005

The price for The Blue Moon was great, $75 per night, but there were way too many problems here. I would not stay there again, even if it were a freebie. I'll explain the good and the bad as we experienced it.

The good: The location was great! My husband and I took our two teens for a quick trip to Miami and we booked 2 rooms. The hotel is right in in the middle of all of the action and that was great. Some of the staff was very friendly and that was a big plus. The "good" ends here.

Now for the list of problems. We asked for 2 rooms close together and ended up on seperate floors. Since our daughter is 18, it wasn't the end of the world, so we lived with it. The kids' room was on the first floor and was really small. My daughter was unable to shave her legs in the tiny shower stall. This was apparently a handicapped accessible room.

My husband and I had a larger room, but it still seemed quite small. Our room was clean but in need of some repairs. There were burn marks in the carpet, a cracked sink and a tub with a huge piece of porcelain missing. The bed was saggy and lumpy. The AC made a horrible racket. When the AC kicks in, cold air comes blowing out like gangbusters. This is comforting during a steamy summer Miami day, but it makes for a very cold, uncomfortable way to sleep. So, I did the obvious and asked for 2 blankets.

Imagine my surprise when they delivered 2 bedspreads. Perhaps a language barrier? A quick call to the front desk dispelled that idea. No language problem, they didn't have blankets. So, they delivered 2 mattress pads. I thought it was some kind of joke, but it wasn't. Finally, I asked for extra sheets and they arrived. The room went from hot to cold to freezing and then the AC shut off. The kids room was the same.

Some decorator who wasn't thinking straight put 3 frosted panels in the bathroom door instead of using solid wood. So, if your partner uses the bathroom in the middle of the night, the room lights up like a Christmas tree. The garbage collectors come early and make an incredible racket. Light sleepers beware!

The TV reception was poor on the local channels. I suppose they have some kind of antenna for the local channels, so we watched the local news with purple ghosts and static. The only thing worse was the static on the phone when we tried to call our kids in their room. Something is wrong with the phone lines as the reception were barely audible over the phone static. Also, the message light on the phone didn't work. The messages were there, but the red light was not illuminated, so I didn't check them.

The hotel is rather old, and that's fine. I suppose there is very little insulation between the rooms because the noise is unreal! I could actually hear my neighbor's cell phone ringing and every word of the ensueing conversation. Kind of creepy!

In the morning we asked for beach towels and were told there were none. I was getting pretty annoyed at this point and a nice staff member dug up a few. While I was happy to get a towel, I should mention that they were full of holes. They would have been sent to the rag pile at my house.

You should also be aware that the valet takes 30 to 45 minutes to get the car, so plan accordingly. Perhaps the parking garage is located somewhere near Fort Lauderdale.

The "pool" is tiny and only 3 feet deep at the deepest part. It's really more like a lukewarm spa. The jets are nice, but it's not actually a swimming pool.

The final incident occurred on our last morning. I was blow drying my hair and I heard a loud "pow" coming from the electrical socket. A bright white fire popped out of the plug and the blow dryer stopped working. The wall turned black from the fire and it scared the heck out of me. I guess you could say that our 4 night stay ended with a bang!

• Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank AuntGermis
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We stayed at Blue Moon last weekend. Bad news, it rained all weekend. good news, this is just as the pictures and info described and we were overly delighted we had chosen this hotel after weeks of research treading through the real dumps that are all so abundant in South Beach. Stay here if you want a GUARANTEED NON-&%&$hole hotel. They even brought ice to our room on call for the beverages, even though it is virtually next door to Mango's. We loved it and will see them next year!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2005

my wife and i spent a week at south beach last fall. loved it, especially the blue moon hotel where we stayed. maybe i thought it was so great because i live in a part of the country where everyone is pretty much alike.
at south beach, as my wife put it so well, "it's like you're in a foreign country where everyone is trying hard to speak english." but to my main point: don't miss using the small little electric bus that goes up and down washington ( i think). will take you to lincoln road for 25 cents. what a bargain. of course, with all the great scenery, walking is the way to go if you have the time.

3  Thank willizannah
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I only stayed at the Bluemoon for one night, and still I encountered significant problems. First off, I needed ice to cool some champagne- I went downstairs to the lobby and was then sent to the bar where it took me a few minutes to even get the bartenders attention. She informed me that they ran out of ice buckets so she would have to give it to me in a bag! I needed to cool the champagne so a bag just wasn't going to do it, so i told the man at the front desk, he made me wait for about 10 minutes only to come back telling me that because they were completely packed, they had run out of buckets- is it just me, or should there be ATLEAST one bucket per room available? I mean, it's not that big of a hotel. I had to settle for the bag of ice, and they made no apologies to me...then i came back upstairs to find that my key didnt work, i go back and take care of that, come back upstairs and the air conditioning is leaking water! Then to top it off, my room faced an alley right next to a dumpster- the windows provided no soundproofing whatsoever so all night i was hearing garbage being tossed out and drunk people yelling, then i was awoken early in the morning by a very loud garbage truck. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone- if i was presented with all these problems in one short night, imagine how much would go wrong in a week!

Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2005

After the hassle of fighting the mass exodous from South Beach with late Sunday afternoon and parking on Collins St., check in was a breeze. We found the concierge on the weekend to be extremely helpful and chatty. The Monday and Tuesday staff left alot to be desired in comparison. Suggestions to make the most of your stay at this great hotel include: ask for and interior room off the street, after you call for your vehicle check in person at the front desk to make sure it was done, and be prepared for noise with earplugs...the hotel is old and walls/windows are thin...Overall the hotel is quaint, well appointed and clean. It is in a great location and a good value.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member