“Boutique hotel = small rooms, old everything”

Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #49 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Island, NY
“Boutique hotel = small rooms, old everything”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Blue Moon has fantastic location for those who want to be in Miami Beach. It's one block from the Ocean Drive where you can have the same formula breakfast (for less than $6) or the same tourist dinner menu at any of tens of restaurants. Neither can be recommended. The beach walk is great. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. If you have a car you can park in the parking garage on the 7th Street, between Collins and Washington - $1 an hour, $20 max for 24 hours. I give it 3 stars because I have stayed in much better places for less but if you must be in Miami Beach, or South Beach, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quieter, check the A/C for noise and the toilet for leak
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Emar R, Front Office Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you. We are glad you enjoyed our location and rated our staff with such a positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Emar.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night precruise. This was my first experience with a "boutique" hotel. I was very apprehensive. Our hotel preferences include large rooms, sitting areas in the rooms, staying on the high floors and frig or microwave in the room.

This hotel is nothing like that and I LOVE it. The rooms are small and lack in design. The rooms are simple and basic. Fresh white paint, white linens and beige carpet on the floors.

The bellman assisted us with our luggage as soon as the taxi pulled up. Took our bags to our hotel room as well. Everyone was friendly. The "resort fee" was annoying but I find all resort fees annoying. Just add the fee to the price of the room already!!

We stayed in the second building, not the building attached to the lobby. At first we did feel a little uneasy b/c our room was right off the sets of steps that connect to the dining area and door to the sidewalk.

However we never encountered any issues. The only time we heard noise was when the free breakfast was being served. We could heard other guest in the dining area. A little annoying b/c we did have a late night in South Beach. If we were staying longer I would have asked for a different room.

In any case, I will stay here again. I recommended this hotel to several of my friends. Even my friend who stay in luxury hotels. I am completely turned around and now I love "boutique" hotels. I think it's more personal.

Oh and staying on Collins was great. The location can not be beat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Adrienne,

Thank you for sharing this kind review. We are delighted our staff provided you with a “unique” and memorable experience. We are thrilled you fall in love with Blue Moon and cannot wait to welcoming you back to your new home in beautiful South Beach.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2013

What a great hotel, service and staff.
It is true that is small, but if you travel frequently, you know that all boutique hotels are like that so no worries!
It is so centrally located that you can literally walk everywhere in south beach and it is a safe zone.
The room was perfectly clean and it is very modern looking, great art walk. It is renewed and it has that perfect combination of modern with vintage.
I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Better the ones on the back since it is on one of the main streets (Collins Ave)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mangoosten
Thank you so much for your recent visit to Blue Moon and for sharing this kind review. We are pleased our staff provided you with an excellent service and fulfilled your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

DC
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Blue Moon.

Location: The Blue Moon is just a block off Miami Beach -- since ocean drive is set back from the ocean, it isn't a big difference from the actual ocean-front hotels. I stayed at the Blue Moon while in town on business. My business was downtown, but the fun is on South Beach. The Blue Moon straddles this need quite well. It is in the very heart of the Art Deco District of South Beach, while being close enough to the 5th Street causeway for a cab to whisk you downtown in just a few minutes.

Hotel layout / condition: I found the Blue Moon in good condition and well appointed. I enjoyed the European feel of the sprawling layout. To get to my room, I walked through the lobby, the restaurant, a courtyard, and a sitting room. Everything was clean and well maintained.

Room: my room was spacious and had nice amenities. You'll see in my pictures that I had a king sized bed with plenty of room on both sides, a nice desk, a walk-in closet, and a well-sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Everything was nice and clean. The HD flat-screen TV was nice and had good channel selection. Several reviews mentioned the noise -- I had a very different experience. My room was perfectly quiet -- I couldn't hear any of the jack-hammering that was occurring just across street.

Extras: I really appreciate the free wi-fi, choice of newspapers, and on-site bar. I also took advantage of the $11 option of using the nearby Crunch Gym -- much better than any of the lame fitness center that hotels tend to have.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Keithcu
Emar R, Front Office Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Keithcu,

Thank you for your review and for all of your compliments, it means a lot to us. I hope to welcome you back soon. Please keep in touch and if I can ever be of assistance please let know, Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
Bronx, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Blue Moon for 5 nights. Emar, the front office manager, greeted us at check in and made my friend and I feel like the Kings of South Beach (now I know why Lebron came to Miami). As a New Yorker, I didn't know what to expect from the Miami lifestyle. Despite being hit by a cold front, with some morning and nights hitting as low as 40 degrees (nothing for us New Yorkers), the Blue Moon made me feel like I was at the place to be. The hotel is in a great location on Collins Ave. within a block the beach and close to all the restaurants, stores, and attractions.
I have to give credit where credit is due. Leadership starts with management and its no surprise the best part of the Blue Moon is Emar and the rest of his team. Everyone we encountered was friendly and professional. The front desk team of Alex, Francine and Alexis were always smiling and energetic. The bellmen Francisco and Alfredo always greeted us and asked how our stay was going. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and we would come back to a well cleaned room. Emar and his team made us feel like the Blue Moon was our home away from home. I can’t believe I remembered all their names but after spending 5 nights with them, they really left an impact on us. Also, I can't recall the names of their bartenders but they make some mean blackberry mojitos. They were actually challenging each other on who made a better drink and we were the judges. A win/win for us wouldn’t you say? It’s really comforting to see employees who take pride in their work.
Given its location, its amenities, and especially its team, the Blue Moon hotel is definitely money well spent. When I make my second trip to Miami I can't wait to go back to my South Beach home at the Blue Moon hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MRdotFALCO
WOW what a great review! We are very lucky to have great employees and I am very glad that we made such a positive impact on your stay. I hope you make us your home away from home. We would love to have you back, Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
The Netherlands
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Nice boutique hotel. I love the combination of a little bit antique and modern style. Especially the elevator from 1930. The bedroom and bathroom are very small and you can hear everything that happens in the hallway. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Important to know, if there is a huge happening taking place in the area (in our case in February SoBe food and wine festival),it will be very busy in the area. We had to wait 25 to 35 minutes for the vallet parking to bring our car and it took us almost 45 minutes to get out of that area due to jammed traffic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan R
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am very happy to hear that you had a lovely stay. I read about the issues that you experienced with our valet parking services. I would like to personally apologize for this inconvenience and I hope to welcome you back soon. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have a feeling that this property was only very recently taken over by Marriott. When I stayed, they were having a lot of difficulties that seemed to be related to procedure changes. While overall, the hotel wasn't bad, I expected more from the Marriott badge, especially for what I paid for the room.

The hotel is centrally located on Collins in the heart of South Beach. Like most hotels, you're in easy walking distance of the beach, Lincoln Rd., Ocean Drive, etc. A word to the wise: cabs in SoBe are plentiful and fairly cheap. Parking is neither, so unless you know you're planning on leaving the Beach, skip a rental car, or only get one for the days you have activities elsewhere.

The front desk staff was pleasant on check-in, but my room had several problems right off the bat. When I first entered, a desk lamp across the room was on and the room smelled strongly of insecticide or deodorizer. I hoped the smell would dissipate through the day, but it did not. After I finished unpacking, I turned off all the lights and left my room. This was a huge mistake! When I got back that night, it turns out the light switch at the door didn’t actually control anything in the room. Additionally, the message light on my phone blinked nearly continuously. I’d check for a message, it would say I’d have none, I’d hang up and it would start blinking again. The next morning, I told the front desk about my three issues with the room: deodorizer/insecticide smell, no lights at night and blinking phone line. I was, somewhat rudely, told the only way to fix the phone was to unplug it but that facilities would look at the other issues. Long story short, after two mornings of back and forth about the issues, it turned out there was a light switch hidden behind the drapes behind the bed that was preventing the door switch from working and housekeeping stopped using a particular cleaner which reduced but did not eliminate the overpowering smell in the room. The message indicator issue never was resolved and every day, I’d have to unplug my phone when I got back to the room to turn off the light.

The room itself was okay. The bedroom was of average size for the beach. The bathroom was extremely small and very narrow, however. I had to stand sideways in the shower to have enough room to wash raise my arms to wash my hair. My room was at the end of the hall and I had a fair amount of noise from staff and other guests using the stairs. Additionally, there was a fair amount of repainting and refinishing work going on around the hotel while I was there. Between that and the comments some of the staff made, it lead me to believe Marriott had only recently taken over. Most of the staff was very nice and helpful, however. The only exception was the clerk who was very condescending about the phone issue. I would have to stay at this property again to see if they’ve ironed out some of the issues before I could fully recommend to friends/family, but all in all, not bad.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not face Collins as you'll pick up street noise all night long.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EMS_Ohio
Dear EMS,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Blue Moon. I read about the issues that you experienced during your stay. We recently went through a tough renovation and became Autograph Collection by Marriott. It seems that you actually had stay while the renovation was taken place. I would like to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience you had gone through. I hope your overall experience was not affected by this and you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com