WINNER WONDERLAND

Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #47 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
DC
“No complaints -- lots of positives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Blue Moon.

Location: The Blue Moon is just a block off Miami Beach -- since ocean drive is set back from the ocean, it isn't a big difference from the actual ocean-front hotels. I stayed at the Blue Moon while in town on business. My business was downtown, but the fun is on South Beach. The Blue Moon straddles this need quite well. It is in the very heart of the Art Deco District of South Beach, while being close enough to the 5th Street causeway for a cab to whisk you downtown in just a few minutes.

Hotel layout / condition: I found the Blue Moon in good condition and well appointed. I enjoyed the European feel of the sprawling layout. To get to my room, I walked through the lobby, the restaurant, a courtyard, and a sitting room. Everything was clean and well maintained.

Room: my room was spacious and had nice amenities. You'll see in my pictures that I had a king sized bed with plenty of room on both sides, a nice desk, a walk-in closet, and a well-sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Everything was nice and clean. The HD flat-screen TV was nice and had good channel selection. Several reviews mentioned the noise -- I had a very different experience. My room was perfectly quiet -- I couldn't hear any of the jack-hammering that was occurring just across street.

Extras: I really appreciate the free wi-fi, choice of newspapers, and on-site bar. I also took advantage of the $11 option of using the nearby Crunch Gym -- much better than any of the lame fitness center that hotels tend to have.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Keithcu
Emar R, Front Office Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Keithcu,

Thank you for your review and for all of your compliments, it means a lot to us. I hope to welcome you back soon. Please keep in touch and if I can ever be of assistance please let know, Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Blue Moon for 5 nights. Emar, the front office manager, greeted us at check in and made my friend and I feel like the Kings of South Beach (now I know why Lebron came to Miami). As a New Yorker, I didn't know what to expect from the Miami lifestyle. Despite being hit by a cold front, with some morning and nights hitting as low as 40 degrees (nothing for us New Yorkers), the Blue Moon made me feel like I was at the place to be. The hotel is in a great location on Collins Ave. within a block the beach and close to all the restaurants, stores, and attractions.
I have to give credit where credit is due. Leadership starts with management and its no surprise the best part of the Blue Moon is Emar and the rest of his team. Everyone we encountered was friendly and professional. The front desk team of Alex, Francine and Alexis were always smiling and energetic. The bellmen Francisco and Alfredo always greeted us and asked how our stay was going. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and we would come back to a well cleaned room. Emar and his team made us feel like the Blue Moon was our home away from home. I can’t believe I remembered all their names but after spending 5 nights with them, they really left an impact on us. Also, I can't recall the names of their bartenders but they make some mean blackberry mojitos. They were actually challenging each other on who made a better drink and we were the judges. A win/win for us wouldn’t you say? It’s really comforting to see employees who take pride in their work.
Given its location, its amenities, and especially its team, the Blue Moon hotel is definitely money well spent. When I make my second trip to Miami I can't wait to go back to my South Beach home at the Blue Moon hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MRdotFALCO
WOW what a great review! We are very lucky to have great employees and I am very glad that we made such a positive impact on your stay. I hope you make us your home away from home. We would love to have you back, Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Nice boutique hotel. I love the combination of a little bit antique and modern style. Especially the elevator from 1930. The bedroom and bathroom are very small and you can hear everything that happens in the hallway. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Important to know, if there is a huge happening taking place in the area (in our case in February SoBe food and wine festival),it will be very busy in the area. We had to wait 25 to 35 minutes for the vallet parking to bring our car and it took us almost 45 minutes to get out of that area due to jammed traffic.

1 Thank Ryan R
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am very happy to hear that you had a lovely stay. I read about the issues that you experienced with our valet parking services. I would like to personally apologize for this inconvenience and I hope to welcome you back soon. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have a feeling that this property was only very recently taken over by Marriott. When I stayed, they were having a lot of difficulties that seemed to be related to procedure changes. While overall, the hotel wasn't bad, I expected more from the Marriott badge, especially for what I paid for the room.

The hotel is centrally located on Collins in the heart of South Beach. Like most hotels, you're in easy walking distance of the beach, Lincoln Rd., Ocean Drive, etc. A word to the wise: cabs in SoBe are plentiful and fairly cheap. Parking is neither, so unless you know you're planning on leaving the Beach, skip a rental car, or only get one for the days you have activities elsewhere.

The front desk staff was pleasant on check-in, but my room had several problems right off the bat. When I first entered, a desk lamp across the room was on and the room smelled strongly of insecticide or deodorizer. I hoped the smell would dissipate through the day, but it did not. After I finished unpacking, I turned off all the lights and left my room. This was a huge mistake! When I got back that night, it turns out the light switch at the door didn’t actually control anything in the room. Additionally, the message light on my phone blinked nearly continuously. I’d check for a message, it would say I’d have none, I’d hang up and it would start blinking again. The next morning, I told the front desk about my three issues with the room: deodorizer/insecticide smell, no lights at night and blinking phone line. I was, somewhat rudely, told the only way to fix the phone was to unplug it but that facilities would look at the other issues. Long story short, after two mornings of back and forth about the issues, it turned out there was a light switch hidden behind the drapes behind the bed that was preventing the door switch from working and housekeeping stopped using a particular cleaner which reduced but did not eliminate the overpowering smell in the room. The message indicator issue never was resolved and every day, I’d have to unplug my phone when I got back to the room to turn off the light.

The room itself was okay. The bedroom was of average size for the beach. The bathroom was extremely small and very narrow, however. I had to stand sideways in the shower to have enough room to wash raise my arms to wash my hair. My room was at the end of the hall and I had a fair amount of noise from staff and other guests using the stairs. Additionally, there was a fair amount of repainting and refinishing work going on around the hotel while I was there. Between that and the comments some of the staff made, it lead me to believe Marriott had only recently taken over. Most of the staff was very nice and helpful, however. The only exception was the clerk who was very condescending about the phone issue. I would have to stay at this property again to see if they’ve ironed out some of the issues before I could fully recommend to friends/family, but all in all, not bad.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not face Collins as you'll pick up street noise all night long.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EMS_Ohio
Dear EMS,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Blue Moon. I read about the issues that you experienced during your stay. We recently went through a tough renovation and became Autograph Collection by Marriott. It seems that you actually had stay while the renovation was taken place. I would like to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience you had gone through. I hope your overall experience was not affected by this and you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know. Emar erodriguez@bluemoonhotel.com
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

First i want to say thank u very much for the great service&attention that they give us, Emar ur the best manager and by the way ur team that works with u there awesome.This is not our first time in Miami, me and my wife we go at least no less than 3 or 4 times a year to Miami,we always stay on Sobe and this time we want to try a new hotel,we check reviews and also a heard great thinks about Blue Moon Hotel,so finally we decide to make a reservation from feb 23 thru feb 27 2013. From the day that we check in the door man was so attentive ,they give us our room right away to fast,we walk in to the room everything was great,very nice and clean,after that check the pool so we call front desk and ask Emar for some towels,we get to the pool and everything was set,perfect,the pool super clean very quiet but lovely.So if you want to stay on South beach 1 block from the beach in the middle of everything u just walk to great bars& restaurants and in a Hotel that they just remodel the whole building looks like a brand new Hotel and great service and attentive staff stay at BLUE MOON HOTEL,ur never gonna be disappointed,and ask for Emar he take cares u.Thank u very much again Emar and we promise we cyu very soon. THANK U BLUE MOON. Freddy&Raquel

2 Thank Freddy S
Dear Freddy and Rachel,

Thank you for your 5 star rating and complimentary words about our hotel and our staff! We wish you could have stayed with us longer. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Come join us again soon.

All the best,
Emar.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Small boutique hotel, privately owned and attached to the Marriott Brand. Stair access only to the second floor. Some rooms have a good view of the courtyard and small lovely pool! A walled garden! Very nice! Small rooms and the AC is a little too loud, but lovely fan above bed. great closet and very nice upgraded bathrooms. At first I was disappointed at the size, but then you're right in the heart of the Art Deo Area of South Beach! The hotel was built in 1939 and it has lots of neat nooks and crannies! Small bar area, but nice intimate pool. We had breakfast at the cafe and the food was good. Staff at check in we're attentive and helpful! Valet parking is worth every penny! The attendants gave great service. Apart from the double bed in our room, which was too small for us, we are used to King! It was a great experience and I would recommend a stay here. Pricey, but you are right there with the great bars and restaurants and night life South Beach has to offer. Oh, there is an elevator for wheelchairs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard!
3 Thank Casper10_11
Kells, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once in a blue moon is about how often I can afford to stay at this lovely Marriott boutique hotel on Collins Ave in South Beach! The staff were all wonderful from valet to front desk to maintenance to waitress. The room was perfectly adequate if not spacious and elegant. The nice touch of being given a card requesting our choice of beverage and snack to be delivered to room was enjoyable. A minor maintenance problem was addressed almost before I got off the phone with the front desk! For some reason, a valve was stuck in the bathroom and needed to be "bled" and was. Also, the bedside lights had both been unplugged....easy fixes. The free wifi was a bit slow but acceptable.

Breakfast is not included. A must try is the Rice Krispies Caramel French Toast!!!!! The best of all 4 of our meals. Eggs Benedict were average with little hollandaise and absolutely no garnish on plate; they looked very lonely. Same with sunny side up eggs. A bit of parsley or an orange slice would have improved the presentation immensely. The breakfast sandwich was enjoyed but had too much bread and not enough filling.

Drinks by the pool late in the evening was a nice end to a busy day and the server was attentive even though we were the only ones there and he was also handling the indoor bar area. (Two fabulous leather armchairs in there!)

If you have enough Marriott Reward points to book this, (as our friends did) it's a great location, quiet, well-serviced and pleasant enough. Valet parking car retrieval did take 55 minutes and I wondered if they park the cars in Opa-Locka!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends