“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #22 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Zurich
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Hotel and situation in general: like others have mentioned, this is not a typical "ultra luxurious" Marriott, but it is an absolutely lovely place to stay and we would return in a heartbeat. It is slightly away from the chaos of South Beach, but close enough to walk everywhere. If you walk North, you'll hit all the nightclubs, restaurants and shops. If you walk East, you'll walk straight into the ocean. Walking west will lead you to a lovely residential art deco neighborhood which is also home to the diner PINK which is a legend in itself, and to a small shopping center on Alton Road which offers great deals on clothing and has a Publix supermarket. If you walk south, you'll hit the southern tip of Miami Beach which is lovely and breezy, upscale and mellow, and is also home to Smith and Wollensky's which offers good steaks and a nice view of the cruise ships passing by. There is a nicely maintained park right next to the hotel, where dog-walkers congregate and end up at the hotel's Starbucks.
The rooms: just perfect enough for 2. Always clean, nice amenities, good view, sound proof windows, nice and adequate bathroom, could use a bit more closet space (we like to shop). The cleaning team were helpful and friendly. One does notice some wear and tear in the rooms, although this is not obvious at first glance. The interior door frames should be cleaned once in a while, and the balcony could use a good once-over. Otherwise, we felt totally comfortable in the room and I never had the urge to check under the bedcovers for dust, dirt, or bed-bugs. It was clean.
The staff at the deco-blu restaurant, the front desk, the concierge, the pool, the maintenance staff, and the bus-boys were amazingly friendly and helpful and I really have to thank them for making us feel totally welcome and comfortable at the facility. Nothing was ever too much for them.
The pool area, although nice and clean, could use more shade umbrellas and even more space for lounging.
Free wireless internet is not included in the room, and this was a bit of a disappointment.
The food at the DecoBlu was good and moderately priced for a resort like Miami Beach.
A note for the ladies on 3 salons in walking distance from the South Beach Marriott: I had a (regular) manicure at Nails 111 at 111 Alton Road, which was good, but not excellent, rather a bit uncomfortable due to their unusual-style chairs. The pedicure was excellent (but still uncomfortable due to the sitting arrangement). My next manicure was at the E & M salon, at Alton Road and 9th Street, near Whole Foods. I had asked for gel nails which is a common procedure but it took the owner of the salon 3 hours to complete this, which was almost excruciating to sit through.Perhaps a simple manicure is ok to have done there, but I would not recommend it for gel nails (and I only had a "fill" which should not take more than an hour!). Additionally, the end result was so-so. This was a rather negative experience for me. I had my hair done at the SoFi Salon which is on 300 Alton Road. The hairdresser, José, did a fabulous job and the prices are reasonable. This place is very clean and friendly.
All in all, my husband and I would return at any time to the South Beach Marriott. I am sure there are more exclusive resorts in the area at about the same price level. But for a down to earth, friendly, clean getaway in a really nice area, this did it for us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Turkish first
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We went to Marriott South Beach Oct 1-7 2010. The rooms are very reasonably priced for being directly on the beach. I have never been treated better by hotel staff in my life, everyone working was very friendly and helpful with things to do in the area. I would most definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We got a room on the 9th floor facing Ocean Drive. The "city view" isnt impressive at all due to empty lots and older buildings. Last night we could hear the techno music from across the street and our neighbors loud tv. This morning we were awakened around 8am to the sound of construction noise. Also agree with a previous review about having to guess which valet guy has your keys. The guy who had our key was too busy talking up a cabbie to notice us standing next to our open car doors looking around for someone with our key.

• Stayed October 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed October 9, 2010

A friend and I stayed here and they were absolutely the BEST! They were so accommodating (especially to their Marriott Rewards Members…which I happen to be). Anything my friend and I asked for, they were right there. I needed a menu to the Big Pink; they printed it and brought it to our room in minutes. They gave us free TIDE to wash our clothes with. Also, we needed a shuttle to the malls; they made sure we didn’t miss them by calling us when the shuttle arrived. Also, we were only seconds from the BEACH. We couldn’t have made a better choice for a hotel stay while in MIAMI. Also, we were only seconds from shopping on 5th and Collins, food and the nightlife!!!! I miss the hotel, the hotel staff and MIAMI already!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Alabama
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed over week here and give it pretty high marks. The location is great if you want quiet, yet close to the action. The bus is only two blocks over and is .25, yes a quarter. The room is a little small but was clean and I had a great view of the beach and city. I could watch the cruise ships leave dock and go out to to sea. The pools were nice and beach access great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bigscreen TV outside was great for football. It is very average for a Marriott , but nice.

The cons are the high priced drinks, food, and beach chairs. $12-$14 for a fruity drink is too high. $6.50 for a Bud, c'mon. Frat boys aren't staying in SoFi so no need to scare off everyone with expensive prices, and this is not a 4-5 star Marriott to demand those prices . I didn't see too many drinks being served because most folks there agreed . I bought my own beer, 2 blocks away, and hit the beach. Have a happy hour time is my recommendation. The beach chairs/umbrellas should be included, $10 each too high. Little things like that are what drive me away from places.

I hope the groups of ladies from Ohio, Atlanta, and Dallas all made it home safe. It was a pleasure meeting all of you. Between the down season and lack of commnication with Europeans you ladies added a little zest to the day.

Odds are I will stay at this hotel again, but I will look around. The few changes I mentioned I think would go a long way with the majority of guests.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Bama007
Reviewed September 26, 2010

A buddy of mine and I take a mancation every year. This year was South Beach. The Marriott was a nice place to stay. Location was great. Not long walk to center of the strip.

The biggest pro was the pool area (hot tub included) overlooking the beach. Very nice.

Biggest con was that house keeping cleaned room late everyday. They also took forever to answer the phone when calling downstairs.

Valet service was quick. Also the City View wasn't a bad compromise for the price.

All and all Marriot was a very good experience. Would return.

• Stayed September 2010
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2010

There are many less expensive, better hotels on the beach, and this one is way down on the end, that you can hear other people having a good time, even though you've got to hoof it to get to where the action is.

And it is EXPENSIVE. Boy, is this hotel EXPENSIVE...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple