WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“3.5 stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

If i could, i would give 3.5 stars. But, all things considered it is closer to 4 than to 3. From a positive perspective, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly. Particularly the wait staff that serve cocktails and food on the beach as well as the bartenders at the onsite bar. The location is really great for us, as you are within walking distance of a lot of great restaurants, parks, and the marina. And in comparison to other locations (like the w), is pretty quiet for south beach. But, still dont plan on it being quiet, just more so than other areas. From a negative perspective, the pool is pretty bad. The space is way too small, probably not big enough to accomodate 10% of guests. There is space on an upper terrace that is under utilized and i think should be used for additional lounge chairs during the day to accomodate more guests in close proximity to the pool. However, if you are a beach person, the water is warm and clear and the lounge chairs that can be rented at the hotel are comfortable.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aaron b
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

I’d like to thank you for sharing your experience at The Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, location and staff, though we apologize for the lack of space by the pool. We are renovating our public spaces within the next couple of months and will have much more beach chairs available. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day. I hope that you will consider returning to our property in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Redondo Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

In case you haven't noticed I stay at Marriotts quite a bit. I also visit Florida frequently. I have enjoyed both for over 30 yrs.
The Marriott Stanton is another great location. Within walking distance of South Beach action but not too close so that you get all the noise, crowds and traffic. You are welcomed with a Mojito, which for being complimentary is actually quite good(see real alcohol). The staff is extremely attentive and polite. Rooms while small reflect the atmosphere of South Beach. Concierge Lounge has excellent view and good snacks. My only regret is that I can't remember names of two young ladies who went above and beyond to make my stay memorable. Definitely would stay here when in South Florida.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
5 Thank Life2Shrt
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you were impressed by our staff and love our location. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back so you can enjoy another mojito!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We chose this hotel based on its location and the high level of service so many contributors have discussed - while the location didn't disappoint, the service did. As a family of 5 that need 2 rooms, it never ceases to amaze me that hotels around the world repeatedly ignore directions given on the booking website for either connecting rooms or an additional bed - in this respect this Marriott was like many others. We were originally put on different floors but after some petitioning we did manage to get two rooms at least on the same floor although we had to make do with a cheaper room to achieve this. In return we got free wi-fi but, honestly, $12.95 a day for browsing speed wi-fi is ridiculously expensive in a hotel of this standard. And if you are hiring a car and want to leave it at the hotel, allow for an extra $37 per day in your budget.

Even though this is a Marriott hotel, it does have a boutique feel to it - that is, everything is smaller than you would normally expect for a Marriott in terms of room size but that wasn't a particular problem. There are lots of great restaurants nearby which was great for my family and concierge were helpful in terms of getting bookings as needed.

The pools are small but fine for us and the pool service girls were very efficient and helpful - the beach is just a walk away from the hotel and hence why it is such a good location.

Our main service issues were with morning breakfast where the 18% mandatory service charge was not consistent with the service we received - in the space of 8 mornings we managed to experience only a couple of breakfasts where I would say the service met the standards I would have expected. Slow to service us, serving only half of us with breakfast, forgetting things that we'd ordered and needing to be reminded - if I'd be in a 2 star hotel I'd have expected this, but not at a Marriott.

We needed to use the business centre during our stay for printing off baseball tickets and it was disappointing that of the two available computers, one had a printer that needed a replacement ink cartridge, the other had a monitor that was broken - the team at reception did manage to print off our tickets using their facilities but again I wouldn't expect this standard of a Marriott.

To sum up, this hotel has a great location and good facilities but I wouldn't pay the prices I did for this hotel again as the service just doesn't justify it

Room Tip: rooms with an ocean view are worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest:

Marriott Stanton South Beach aims to exceed your expectations, which is why I am disappointed to hear about your inconveniences with the internet, service in the restaurant, and business center while staying at our hotel. While I am regretful of your troubles, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the readers on TripAdvisor. We take your review very seriously and will share your comments with our team in an effort to better our services going forward. I sincerely apologize that your time spent at the Marriott Stanton South Beach was not ideal.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Marriott at 161 Ocean Drive just blew me away from the moment got there, just as it did on my last trip to Miami Beach 5 years ago! Everything was just amazing! The concierge was really helpful in helping us find a good restaurant and in checking us in and out. Everything was clean and a beautiful white as well as the architecture (Art Deco style).

The newly refurbished rooms are fabulous. We had a room with a ocean view and the blue ocean meeting the white beach was just superb. Downstairs, the aviary was like a little piece of a rainforest, where you can see some small tropical birds - well, I think they are tropical birds. Both pools and the hot tub were awesome, but why stay in the pool when you have the beach?

The water was warm even at 8:00 am. In Virginia, it's not even close to warm at 10:00 am. That was a treat. But then, all of my stay there was a treat!

I know this is not too significant, but let me just say that that was the first elevator I saw in my life having a touch-screen control panel as well as a normal one. Unfortunately, out of the two elevators, the East elevator was out of order for upgrading. However, that will not set back my opinion towards the hotel because it will probably re enter service soon.

The location was very good, close to great restaurants with mouthwatering, delicious foods. Well, some of them.

All in all, I give this hotel 5 stars for cleanliness, 5 stars for location, being next to shops and restaurants on the renowned Ocean Drive, 5 stars for staff, and of course, 5 stars for the room!
I definitely recommend you to stay here! :D

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank L D
Natalie M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you like our renovated rooms, as well as our pool, and found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review. We hope you visit again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

So here is where I have a dilemma about Trip Advisor ratings. If I rate it as three then it is deemed to be average and if I rate it as four then it is very good and the Marriott Stanton falls in between the two. Maybe time for trip advisor to drop the "poor" and "terrible" and put in a "good" category.
There are some real positives about the hotel so let me start with those. It is in a really good location at the southern end of South beach close enough to restaurants but far enough away from the "noise". It is also fit on the beach and has a very nice pool area. Catherine who worked at the pool is excellent. The rooms are also well designed although, by American standards, a bit on the small side. If you have access to the executive club lounge then use that. Breakfast was good and the views are great from the roof
In terms of things that need improving the gym is very small and in a room with no windows which is a shame given the location. It feels like an after thought and the equipment is a bit old. One side of reception is nice and modern while the other side is rather drab.
And then there are things that need to be improved. The internet is painfully slow. Not acceptable these days Marriotts. It is also expensive at $13/day. Secondly charging for sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach is ridiculous. It is$13/lounger and the same for an umbrella so $40 per couple for a day. That is just mad. And finally charging $14 for a glass of wine in your exec club is over the top.
This is a good hotel but there are just a few things that let it down. However, if you want a good location then worth staying here.
P.S. There is a lot of construction work going on near the hotel so there is a lot of noise and given these are new apartment buildings this will go on for some time.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David J
Dear guest

I’d like to thank you for sharing your experience at Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and our pool area, though we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day.. In reference to the beach, we would like to clarify that South Beach is a public beach and local vendors get special permits from the city to rent chairs and umbrellas. All hotels in the area are subject to the same situation; however, all chairs and umbrellas are free of charge at our pools. We are also going through a renovation of our spa, gym, and lobby area within the next couple of months. I hope that you will consider returning to Marriott Stanton South Beach to see our exciting renovations!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have not been to your hotel, but my son was there this past weekend for his birthday with friends. I called yesterday am and spoke with Brandon Cooke, and asked if he could help me with a surprise for my son. Not only was his personality sweet, but he was also very excited to help me as if he were helping someone in his own family. He went to his supervisor and got an approval to leave the hotel and shop for me. I asked for something specific, a giraffe. He went to the toy store for me, took pictures and then sent them to me. I picked the largest one they had. My son is an adult so this was even funnier. He then gave his phone to the Manager of the store and I paid for this giant giraffe. Brandon then hand delivered this giraffe that was over five feet tall to my sons room. It was a wonderful experience and I am thrilled. I have never experienced this level of customer service at any hotel I have stayed, and I have been to many. I am looking forward to my stay at this hotel due to this experience. So many people only do what they need just to get the job done, and then there are those who are far and few between like Brandon who add a personal touch that has so much more meaning. Thank you Brandon for all of your efforts in making this a fun birthday not only my son but for me. I appreciate all of your enthusiasm. You will never know how much this meant to me. You are a special individual who went well above and beyond what I expected, and I will never forget how much fun we all had with this whole thing because of you. This company is very lucky to have an individual such as yourself. I also want to thank you for using your phone and accepting my call the next morning when you were not at work, because I needed a suggestion how to wrap this giraffe so my son could take this fabulous South Beach souvenir home. You gave me suggestions and did not act bothered that I called you on your own time. I have never seen anything like it. Thank you so much.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Lise W
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for your feedback! Brandon was truly excited to assist you and make your son's stay brilliant. We will make sure Brandon's level of service is recognized. We take pride in going above and beyond for our guests. We invite you to visit the Marriott Stanton South Beach personally so we can show you all we have to offer!
Littleton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

When I travel to South Beach this is the hotel of choice. Yes there are tons of other hotels to stay at, and I have, but this hotel is one of a handful that actually is on the ocean AND allows you to see the water! The pool is up high with minimal wire fence so you get un obstructed views of the beach and the all the people walking, jogging along the boardwalk. Staff is super friendly. Easy location to walk to everything, restaurants, shopping etc, yet just far enough away not to be crazy noisy. Great sun at the pool, which if you stay at other hotels you can notice some only get sun for a couple hours before the hotel next door blocks it. This locations allows you to turn your lounge chair at the pool and stare at the ocean all day or simply walk down to the beach and they have chairs and umbrellas for you. I've stayed at the W Hotel further North up the beach which was nice but you would never know you were next to the ocean as they wall off the hotel. Cant wait to return to the Marriott!

Room Tip: Email ahead of time to ask, nicely of course, for an upgraded room. They are happy to assist you pos...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter H
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Stanton South Beach Marriott! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you enjoyed our pool, location, staff, and found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review. We are anticipating your next arrival!