“Welcome to your closet”

Marriott Stanton South Beach
Ranked #24 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 8, 2014

great location.... the end. "Upgraded" room tad larger than my closet. No coffee maker... no bathrobe, no slippers... Concierge lounge very small and terrible crowded. Worst one I have ever see in a Marriott, and I am Black Platinum... I stay in Marriotts 100 nights a year or more often. Would never come back here. Supposed to have room by the elevator.. My room is far from elevator. Is clean, nice bed. But room so small... Must be an old hotel was remodeled. If you want to pay to be on the beach, have at it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Don M
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest:
I appreciate your feedback on your most recent stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. We are always looking for ways to improve. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the size of your room, however, it is important for us to point out; we are a boutique style hotel, just like the rest of the hotels on Ocean Drive. What our rooms lack in space they more than make up for in style and modernism. In reference to your comment about not having a coffee maker or a bathrobe in your room, we have a coffee maker in every single one of our rooms and it's placed in the closet, we also place two bathrobes in all our room’s closets; sleepers are available upon request. I hope you will consider giving the Marriott Stanton South Beach another opportunity to impress you. We value your business and your input, and I hope that you will consider letting us host you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,525)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this property for one night prior to our cruise and the location and view was very nice.

The newly remodeled rooms where very clean and bright. The Concierge was fantastic in helping with our travel plans.

The only draw back was the staff at dinner in the hotels restaurant. The waiter was not very friendly and did not like to take requests to substitute items.

If I was to go back to Miami I would consider this property but for the price more likely the Ritz

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest:
I’d like to thank for sharing your experience at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am pleased to hear that you liked our re-designed new rooms though we apologize for the service failures you encountered at our restaurant. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day. Let us know when you head back to South Beach; we'd love for you to see the improvements we've made and show you a hassle free vacation!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We got placed in a newly renovated room on the top floor which was nice for the view. Pity one elevator was in maintenance so the journey from lobby to top floor was a very tedious one! Rooms are small and the newly renovated ones have a fake wood floor which is probably more hygienic but not at all homely. The beach sand is gritty and doesn't make for a $600 a night experience! The location is brilliant with direct access to the beach and a great pool bar though so if location and access to beach is important then it is a win.
Valet service excellent with a QR code scanner that works well with mobiles to retrieve vehicle. Starbucks lovers will appreciate the Sb in the lower lobby :)

Room Tip: Check the elevators in service and get a lower room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. While I am happy to hear you liked the location of your room, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience which you may have experienced as a consequence of the unexpected maintenance issue we had with one of our elevators, I can assured you we tried to do everything that it was in our hands to get the issue resolved as soon as possible. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the design of our new rooms; we will seriously take it into consideration since our main goal is to improve our guest's satisfaction every day. In reference to your comment about our rates over the holidays, I can assure you our rates are very competitive with the rates offered at the hotels in the area. We value your business and your input, and I hope that you will consider letting us host you again!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

OK....I am a Platinum Reward Member, so I travel a lot. This hotel knows the true meaning of Customer Service! I will name names....... Natalie Morgan, The Rooms Operations Manger as well as John Crandall in Security, they both deserve a raise. There was incident where one of the other guests stole, (yes you heard me right) my expensive pair of sunglasses. Natalie and John went above and beyond and reviewed the video from the front desk and they were able to get my sunglasses back. They were very apologetic, but of course, not their fault.

Another asset to the Marriott is Patty at the pool. Incredible attention to customer service there as well.

The renovations are great, rooms, etc. etc. Had a great massage. This hotel knows how to treat their guests. I highly recommend this place. Great location, Beautiful setting, Great food, Concierge lounge, .A++++ across the board. I will be back soon. Thanks.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank palmbeachflguy

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. We look forward to serving you again soon and hearing your feedback after your return stay.

#TravelBrilliantly

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed in one of the "newly remodeled" rooms before a cruise. This was good preparation because the room is about the size of a ship's cabin. Don't try to turn around in a hurry. And watch your step over the 4" lip to the balcony! You may be taking a quick "trip" down to the lobby. The decor and fake wood floors are cold and uninviting - certainly not what I'm used to at beach resorts. The stylish sliding doors would be nice for closets but not for a bathroom door. They don't close all the way so don't expect a lot of privacy.

Room Tip: City views are more interesting than ocean front but there are a lot of surrounding buildings that m...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for providing such a detailed description of your stay at the Marriott Stanton South Beach. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the size of your room, however, it is important for us to point out; we are a boutique style hotel, just like the rest of the hotels on Ocean Drive. What they lack in space they more than make up for in style and modernism. In regards to the design of the bathroom door as well as the room's decor, we really appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that all feedback we receive is taken into serious consideration since our main goal is to improve our guest’s satisfaction every day. In reference to the lip to the balcony, they are purposely placed in order to prevent flooding from the balcony to the room during strong rain showers. However we do care about your safety and we have a visible sign on every balcony door. Above all, we wish for our guests to have the most attentive and superior service possible, and we make it our priority to provide that. Let us know when you head back to South Beach; we'd love to have you back!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have used TripAdvisor on all my previous vacations but the experience I had at this hotel has caused me to write my first review.
PROS - the staff for the pool and bar
CONS - This is going to take a minute. Where to start? The couple that booked the reservation are Marriott Platinum Elite members. The main reason I point this out, is because they spend a lot of nights at Marriott hotels, so they know what kind of service to expect. The Marriott South Beach, however does not bother to comply with Marriott member benefits and was not shy in telling them as such. Without going into too many details, trust me when I say if management agrees to anything, I suggest you get it in writing because the story may/will change.

Here is just a sampling - As an Platinum Elite member our friends were told the hotel was sold out, so no upgrades where available. Upon arriving we could see the hotel was far from sold-out. Then the story changed to, 'no ocean front rooms were available' (due to construction - not because of occupancy), however sitting at the pool we could see the rooms were available as guests were on a couple of the balconies. This upgrade story changed every time our friends tried to get to the bottom. (Note: we did receive a one category upgrade, however as an Platinum Elite, the upgrade policy is for best available - not just one category. Our friends even called the member hotline to confirm this was the case).

Construction is currently on going at this hotel (which I understand), however the following scenario happened and I will let you decide if management handled it correctly. Coming out of the bathroom, after a shower, two men where on my balcony. Frankly, I could care less what they saw, however I was surprised. This same scenario also happened to the couple we were with (they were on a different floor), but this time it was the wife. Management's answer to this issue was, "keep your blinds closed". I asked what good does an ocean-view room have, if 'I have to keep my blinds closed?' The response was, 'closing your blinds shouldn't be a big deal'. Remember this was our 'upgraded room'.

As I mentioned construction is on going, but it was on going in the rooms directly above & below our room. It takes a lot for me to complain, but when I asked about the construction times and locations, I was told it was from 8am - 9pm. I once again asked about when these particular rooms would be done and the answer I received was (I'm not making this up), 'we have no idea what room or location they will work on, so I could move you, but the construction may move to that location tomorrow'. I asked her just to be clear, 'so a major construction job on your hotel is in progress and you have no idea what room or location they would move to next?' (I was a little offended that they thought I was that dumb).

While the hotel may turn out nice once the construction is complete, I would have to recommend that you stay clear of this hotel while it is under the current management. Their are much better options on Ocean Drive.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank BC80
Erenia M, General Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Community,

As you see, we do our best to respond to and acknowledge every post on TripAdvisor, good or bad, and we respect and encourage your feedback and experiences in order to help us continually maintain and improve on the experiences we provide. That said, there is certainly another side to this story and we find it in everyone’s best interest not to ignite the fire so to speak by continuing the conversation further on this forum. This guest was asked to not return to the Marriott Stanton South Beach. No successful hotel would operate in the manner described in his posts and our Management & Associates have been successfully operating Marriott Stanton South Beach for years and have years of professional experience that wouldn’t allow for such a situation to occur. We welcome you to contact us directly with any questions concerning this post.

We look forward to welcoming you and having you be our guest to experience our newly renovated resort for yourself!

Thank you for your consideration and understanding.

David Cronin

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked the hotel for one night so my boyfriend and I could stay on the beach for his birthday (we live in Kendall) When we booked the hotel we were told we would be given an additional promotional discount. Upon arrival the the lady who checked us in had no idea what we were talking and was unwilling to help us look into it. We gave up. I went back down on my own, while my boyfriend was showering, and old them that this trip was very special to us as he is going away for a long time and we won't be seeing each other for at least a year. I explained that he was upset at their lack of willingness to help with the promotion we had been given by expedia. The response I was given after explaining all that was from a man and woman who were extremely rude. They took my saying that "my boyfriend was really upset" as an opportunity to make a joke as if he was going to abusive to me. They said "do we need to call in security?" I couldn't even believe what I was hearing!! I simply said he was angry and they laughed and made it a joke. I said of course, absolutely not and walked away. I will not be staying at this hotel or be recommending it to anyone simply based on that.
Other than that, the hotel was clean and I enjoyed the chilled water they had set up at the front lobby. During my stay they were reservations on other floors so it was very noisy around 9am, but to be fair they had warned us about that.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank genostien
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest:

The Marriott Stanton South Beach aims to exceed your expectations, which is why I am disappointed to hear about your experience while staying at our hotel. In regards to your comment about the additional discount that was offered to you by Expedia, all Expedia discounts are automatically applied when you make your reservation, unfortunately the hotel does not apply any additional discounts, you are more than welcome to confirm this information directly with Expedia. In reference to the situation that took place at the front desk, I am very confused and surprised at the same time since this is not typical of our staff. I would love to get more details about this particular situation, please contact me directly at erenia.moya@marriott.com. While I am regretful of your troubles, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the readers on TripAdvisor. We take your review very seriously and will share your comments with our team in an effort to better our services going forward. My sincerest apologies that your time spent at Marriott Stanton South Beach was not ideal.