“Good, not great”

Marriott Stanton South Beach
Ranked #22 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I traveled to South Beach in May for a few days of fun and relaxation. Our first stop was two nights at the Marriott South Beach.

CHECK IN - was smooth and orderly. We arrived about 4 pm and we were greated with complimentary mojitos.

ROOM - we had an ocean front king on the 8th floor. We were told that these were better than the suites because they were ocean front. The view was nice, but the room was a little tired. They are currently renovating the property to upgrade the rooms and address this problem. The bathroom felt a little cramped and worn.

BEACH - we spent one day at the beach. The staff was very helpful in getting our loungers, towels and umbrella set up. The food staff was hard to find, and we ended up going to the restaurant. Beautiful beach.

POOL - the pools and hot tube are very nice.

CONCIERGE - the concierge and the hotel staff were great in assisting us with reservations, food, drinks, etc. They seemed to be in charge of the happy hour food spread, which was a nice touch.

DECOBLUE - we visited this restaurant for breakfast, lunch and drinks. We included breakfast in the price of our room, and the breakfast buffet was great. While the servers are very friendly, they were mostly very slow. Every one of our drink orders and our lunch order took a looooong time. Also, everything is expensive. Expect New York City prices.

SPA - hard to really call this a spa. This was more like a closet with a massage table. The smell was bad, there was no music and the massage was not good. While I didn't ask for it, I wanted my money back. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

LOCATION - one of the great things about this hotel is the location. There are a lot of great restaurants within a short walking distance, and the art/deco district and party scene is about a 10 minute walk away.

FINAL THOUGHTS - this is a good hotel, but not a great hotel. I think it would be great if I were in town for business with some significant down time. Not ideal for a vacation getaway.

Room Tip: Ocean front, high floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Guest:
I’d like to thank for sharing your experience at South Beach Marriott. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel amenities though we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. You can be rest assured that we take all feedback we receive under serious consideration and use it to improve our guests' experiences every day. . I hope that you will consider returning to South Beach Marriott to stay in one of our reinvented rooms upon completion of our $9 million redesign; we would love your experienced opinion on the changes we make!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I travel to Miami for work every few months and the Marriott on South Beach is by far my favorite place to stay. I've occasionally tried other hotels in other parts of town, but keep coming back to this one. The entier staff is friendly and helpful without being intrusive. For example, they always offer to help with your bags, but respect your wishes if you say "I've got it, thanks." Everything is always clean and well-maintained, from the rooms to the bar/restaurant to the pool. I was also there during the city-induced water outage mentioned by Peter B below, and thought the hotel management handeld it all very well...especially the free happy hour drinks/hors d'ouevres for the guests. The location is wonderful, close to many bars, restaurants, shops, and it's right on the beach...you literally see the beach/ocean from the pool and restaurant. I had my kids with me this time and they loved the fact that there is a nice park/playground right next door in addition to the beach & pool. Finally, if you have concierge access, the conceirge lounge has great food for breakfast with loads of fresh fruit, eggs, toast, pastries, cold cuts & cheese, etc. Plenty to fill up on.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have an angled partial ocean view. Street side room was surprisingly quiet.

Dear Guest:
It is always a pleasure to welcome our previous guests back. Thank you for selecting The South Beach Marriott for your home. Thank you also for your positive comments on our staff's level of service, we take great pride in their accomplishments. Thank you for your feedback. I hope you will consider The South beach Marriott as your host hotel when traveling back to area.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here on business for a week in May 2013. I come out here several times a year from St Louis. Location is very good right on South Beach about 10 min walk from the famous art decco looking South Beach boutique hotels. The staff was fantastic. Seth was offering anything you could think of to make the stay more enjoyable. Everyone was eager to assist and offer any help, but not too pushy. Great pool/hot tub/outdoor patio setup. Right next to the beach. On the beach they extend their services including beverages. There is a corner liquor store just down the street and Big Pink's diner which has great prices and tons of food selections near by too. I normally stay in Coconut Grove, but I am now sold on South Beach solely beacuse of this Marriott hotel. Going to be staying at this hotel again two more times this year because of the staff, location, accomodations, and price. I give this place my highest recommendation.

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you had time away from your meetings to relax and enjoy our amenities. For business or pleasure, should you plan to visit our area again, I hope The South beach Marriott will be your preferred choice for your home away from home.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Thanks to Mr. Jay with Adventurous Travel &Cruises. He hooked us up.Everything I wanted.The hotel and staff is outstanding!! No other word I can say or use to describe. We had the pleasure to stay at this hotel before going on a cruise out of Miami. Wanted to let our hair down and then relax before cruise. A change of pace was want we wanted and that is what we got. Excellent !!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at South Beach Marriott! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you enjoyed our relaxing environment and found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back to experience our newly re-designed rooms in 2014 to get your "before" and "after" opinion!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Comfortable, modern hotel in a truly incredible location! Friendly, prompt and attentive service by everyone from the front desk to the valets to the restaurant hostess. I travel to Miami for work regularly and this hotel is my new go-to spot. It has all the amenities (including peace and quiet) for work, plus immediate access to all the excitement of South Beach. Everything you could want is within walking distance: Starbucks, pubs, night clubs, restaurants, convenience store, etc, etc, etc. Simply an overall exceptional experience!

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at South Beach Marriott! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate South Beach experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you liked our location and found our hotel to be such an ideal vacation spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review; we'd love to have you back to experience our newly re-designed rooms in 2014 to get your "before" and "after" opinion!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Two weeks before I was to arrive at this hotel I received an email stating they were starting renovations at the hotel. The noise was horrible and was woken up at 9 AM each morning. The hotel knew 2 weeks prior they were going to do rennovations to the rooms so why did they wait until 2 weeks out to notify me? And all the hotels in South Beach were booked so it wasn't like I had other opttions. I even called the front desk to explain how they didn't bother to notify me more than 2 weeks out. They told me they were waiting for a start date from the contractors before they let their guests know. Not acceptable and they knew we were stuck and could not book at another hotel because it was 2 weeks out. They could care less and if you think they care about their platnium elite members.. Guess again! Anyone who is a Marriott Rewards member will do better to switch to another rewards program!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kenya B
Erenia M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest:
Thank you for staying at the South Beach Marriott. I apologize for any construction noise you heard while on property, our goal is to ensure you have a great stay while you are here. It is important to mention two weeks before your arrival to our hotel and also during your stay with us, all the Marriott properties in the area had availability to relocate your reservation if that is what you were interested in doing, I really wish you would have communicated it to us that way we could have assisted you to do so. As much as we loved to have you as guest, your comfort is our priority. While I am regretful of your troubles, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the readers on TripAdvisor. We take your review very seriously and will share your comments with our team in an effort to better our services going forward. My sincerest apologies that your time spent at South Beach Marriott was not ideal. I hope that you will consider returning to the South Beach Marriott to stay in one of our reinvented rooms upon completion of our $9 million redesign; we would love your experienced opinion on the changes we make!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Outstanding service...every employee was happy to work there and it showed in their attitude and reflected back to the customer experience thru out the entire 5 days I was there. The City turned off a water pipe unexpectedly which only affected some guests, and only for 45 minutes, but the hotel held a free Happy Hour that night as a compensation for all the guests for any inconvenience! It wasn't even Marriott's fault...that's a sign of a hotel that cares about their customers stay!

Rooms were fantastic...quiet, clean, comfortable, spacious and modern. You almost have no reason to go more than two blocks from the hotel for anything...Starbucks coffee shop attached to the hotel, Ted's - a local dive bar just up the street for cheap drinks and local environment, Story's - a hot club open until 5 am, Big Pinks - fantastic diner and great food, plus a local market store, CVS-like all-purpose store and a liquor store all within a very very short walk from the hotel. In short the location could truly not be better!

I stay for business, but it always feels like a vacation. I've been traveling to South Beach for work for the last 5 years and this will now be my regular hotel. Outstanding!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place.

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you had time away from your meetings to enjoy our amenities and the reception we had for our guests after the inconvenient water shut off. We are glad The South Beach Marriott will be your preferred choice for your home away from home