“Nice but looking a bit worn”

Marriott Stanton South Beach
Ranked #22 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
St Petersburg, Fl
“Nice but looking a bit worn”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is in a decent location, about a 10 min walk up Ocean Dr to the shops and restaurants in South Beach. Our room was an ocean front king. The room is a bit on the small size but OK but everything in the room needs a face lift, it just looks and feels dated. The bed was very uncomfortable (most Marriott's have great beds). The staff were pleasant and helpful. I can't complain much because I used Marriott points for the night so, other than the $35 for parking (which seems excessive) the room was free. If we'd paid the rack rate for the room though, I'd have been very unhappy.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms have a beautiful view of the beach and sunrise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kiri61
Erenia M, Guest Services Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us and our Trip Advisor readers. We trully appreciate your feedbak. I am very sorry your hotel room did not meet your expectations. Our hotel will be going into renovations on 2013. We really hope you decide to give us a second chance. Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Hotels guest, we are looking forward to welcoming you back on your future trip to South Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Turkish first
houston
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had a one night stay here before our cruise. Everything was really good! No complaints at all! We had a very relaxing time! We were able to check in early, the food was great, the view from the room was great, the beach was beautiful, the pool was heated (our kids were thrilled!), the weather was perfect, room service was quick, the staff always went above and beyond, the concierge lounge was open (even on thanksgiving), the rooms were quiet and omfortable! What more could you ask for!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank runningtravelers
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us and our Trip Advisor readers. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your future vacation to Miami!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2012

great staff team that made our event a great success - helped put out some fires and made sure any problem we were having were handled with their support, flexibility and understanding.
Would definately go back, the hotel was so so, but priced accordingly, but the staff in the event area were of a five staff level

Room Tip: Business event coordinator and staff were excellent!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Erenia M, Manager at Marriott Stanton South Beach, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us and our Trip Advisor readers. We are very pleased to learn that your event was a success and that our staff responded the way we expected, the Marriott way!

We are looking forward to hosting your next event or vacation here in Miami.

Boston, MA
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was in Miami for business last week at rhe Eden Roc, and my husband joined me and we added on two days in South Beach at the Marriott for some relaxation. Although the hotel is very clean and the rooms are pleasant, we were disppointed with our stay here at the hotel for several reasons. First, the hotel is about 10-14 blocks from the heart of South Beach. This obviously is not insurmountable, but if the idea of staying in South Beach is to walk around and enjoy all the sights and the people-watching, you will have to alter your plans a bit to do it from here. This area is advertised as "up and coming" and "trendy" but we found it to be neither. In fact, there is very little in the area that you would want to see, almost no restaurants and definitely no shops, though there are a number of vacant lots. Second, the hotel staff was not unpleasant, but distinctly not very helpful. On both Saturday and Sunday morning the maids gathered at 8 am in the middle of the hallway outside of our room (which was in the middle of the floor) and spoke VERY loudly. We thought there was a party going on outside the door! Very annoying. The valet and bellmen were also very inattentive. They would stand there talking and laughing as we brought our own suitcases down the stairs. We had to go over and ask them to help us with a cab. On our second evening, we just went and got he cab ourselves, even though there were four of them standing there chatting. The bartender at the pool bar (inside) was equally inattentive. With almost a dozen patrons at the bar, several of us recent arrivals, he stood talking to two younger women for a vey long time until my husband finally got up, walked aroud to the part of the bar where he was standing and chatting, and asked if we could PLEASE order a drink. He was perfectly pleasant after that, but you hate to see a hotel run like this. Finally, the thing that really sent us around the bend was the group from the Cruise. They arrived at some point mid-day on Saturday after their cruise ship ended its trip back in Miami. It was a large group of early 30-somethngs, most of whom were very drunk. They took over the deck area ouside of the bar and turned on the Penn State Football game and basically acted like it was Spring Break. They were foul-mouthed and completely inconsiderate of the other hotel guests. They brought enormous coolers with their own beer (Busch in cans -- that says something), and were smoking up a storm (the Mariott is allegedly a "smoke -free" hotel -- I guess not?). We moved twice to get away from the smoke and the scene, but eventually gave up and returned to our room. It was basically a giant scene out of Animal House.

The hotel is not terrible. The front desk folks really were very peasant and the rooms on the higher floors closer to the ocean have lovely balconies and nice views. The beach way down at this end of South Beach is quieter and peaceful, and the walk is not too bad, as long as you factor it in to your plans. The problem is that this hotel's probems are entirely of their own making (other than the location). They make no effort to be better than average. Compared to the Eden Roc -- a Renaissance Hotel and part of the Marriott Family of hotels, the Marriott South Beach is not even a close contender, even though it is MORE expensive, and required more points for a weekend stay. For the 80,000 Marriott spoints we spent here for a two night stay, we were incredibly disappointed.

PS. Concierge Lounge is closed for the entire weekend! Seriously? I guess the "upgrade" we got the Concierge level didn't mean a whole lot!

Room Tip: The rooms on the Second Avenue side fo the hotel have a great view of the ocean. Ask for a high flo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the constructive feedback you have posted in your review. Our team has taken the liberty to utilize your comments to continue to improve our services and make our guest experiences more memorable.

We are very disappointed to learn about the lack of response from our valet and bar staff as our management team continually focus on training and developing better hospitality and service skills. Our head of housekeeping has also addressed the entire staff regarding being more attentive to our guest needs and avoid unnecessary noise.

On behalf of our staff, please accept our most sincere apologies for your poor experience at our Resort. Please contact me at any time if there is anything else we can do to regain your confidence.

Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Marriott South Beach was the place for us. The parking was valet (make sure you have your ticket). If you want to handle all your bags yourself, this property has a steep staircase in the front. But, don't worry there is an elevator on side you can use. The staff was very friendly and willing to help! In the lobby the staff greeted us with a cheerful chant and some cool beverages! When we checked in, we were placed in a ocean view room as an upgrade for one night (she specifically told me that). And, due to my plans changing- I extended our stay and the hotel was sold out of ocean view rooms. So, we were warmly relocated to a different room- equally as great the first (room & balcony was just smaller. But it was a corner room- our view was Ocean drive buildings, palm trees, and the beach! I felt at ease and I can't complain).

The pools were a good size and had a jacuzzi as well. They give you beach towels to use on your lounging chairs. Also, they have private lounges on the deck near the bar where you can use to have a meeting, watch TV, or just relax with loved ones. And, hotel is right near water and a quaint park. So there was minimal noise when it was time for sleep or sitting on the balcony to enjoy the view (the sunrise and the fireworks= amazing!!!!). Also, the hotel is attached to a Starbucks! That is a must in my life!

When you want to party, the South Beach bars, parties and fun were starting less than a 1/4 mile away. The hotels has a restaurant and bar for lunch type foods. And, this hotel is a short distance from tons of restaurants (a lot of Italian and Cuban food).

In end, it was July 4th week and South Beach was live! My family enjoyed the amenities (including the gift shop) the hotel had to offer. The parking staff, bartender/ waiter, front desk staff, and housekeeping staff was great! Very honest, accommodating and proactive bunch! I love that in a hotel team!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms up high are the way to go! :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to learn about your vacation experience with us. Our staff works very hard in being part and help create wonderful memories for our guests! Thank you for taking the time to share those experiences with us and our Trip Advisor readers.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back for any future visits to Miami.

Best Regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here and they gave us a room on the 9th floor. My brother who was a Marriott Platinum member was dissapointed once we saw the room. The bathroom was so cramped, small sink. Toilet was right in front of the bathroom door which was rotting at the bottom. The bed was 'ok' I think they need to change the linens and comforter. The drapes was also very worn. The balcony gives a great view of the South Beach. Parking cost $35.00 PER NIGHT. The housekeepers are very nice and friendly. Front desk were also.
At the concierge lounge breakfast was great. They had muffins, danishes, smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and bacon. Cereals and oatmeal. VERY NICE although they seems to be short of plates (only 7 stack of plates at a time). The staff seems to be washing and putting them out probably reusing the same plates quickly. Same case with the evening concierge. Not very many plates again. I got there and shared 1 plate with the family. They had some kind of fried rice with pork, which we couldn't eat. They also had cut up pork sausages that we also couldn't eat. There were some veggies with dip but only 4 pieces in a cup, and when we asked if there are more she said no. So we had cheese and crackers only. We stay at many different Marriott hotels and normally we could make a dinner meal out of what they serve. Don't expect that at this Marriott. The dessert time came and the only thing they served was tiny pieces of cake with strawberry sauce. Again breakfast was great, they need to do the same in the evening. The balcony in the concierge lounge was great though. but I personally would not come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SillygirlP
Dear Guest,

As a Platinum Marriott Rewards member we sincerely appreciate your loyalty and the feedback you have provided us regarding our Concierge Lounge. Our Management team is very careful in following Marriott's standards as it relates to Concierge Lounge service and operating hours therefore your comments regarding the difference in the food service from other Marriott's is a bit surprising. Our team will review the standards again to insure we are providing the best possible service in that particular area.

Thank you once again for allowing us the privilege to serve you and we look forward to regaining your confidence for a future trip to Miami.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I would like to tell you about a recent experience my family had with the Marriott South Beach. This was my family’s first trip to south beach and they had a fun weekend. When we got home to Tampa I realized my daughter left the t-shirts she bought and my son left his stuffed dog “Rex”. Rex has been with my son since he was a baby and makes every trip with us. My wife called the Marriott and got frustrated with the front desk and their “oh well” attitude. Thankfully my wife was transferred to the Manager Seth. Problems are opportunities and it’s not how you act when things are going good but how you deal with issues. Seth went above and beyond what anyone could expect. He lived the Marriott values and reminded me through his actions why I am loyal to Marriott. Seth immediately realized how important my son’s dog was to him. As my son Ben lay in bed crying Seth kept looking and updating me on what was being done. Later that night Seth called to let me know they had Rex and would overnight him back to us. My son was so happy to hear Rex had been found. Seth then asked for the dog’s name and my son’s name. He also asked for my daughters t-shirt sizes, where we got the t-shirts and what they looked like. The next day Seth gave me another call to update me and to make sure my son, Ben knew that Rex was safe and on his way home and to get my email address so I would have the tracking number. So far I was thinking “wow this manager really gets it” boy was that an understatement. The next day Seth calls to make sure we got the package. Unfortunately I was traveling and staying in a Marriott so I could not open the package. I called my wife and she went out to get the package. My wife called back crying because she was so happy and amazed at what Seth had done. Seth had taken Rex and took pictures of him at the pool, by the buffet, working on the computer and so on. In one picture Rex had typed a message to Ben that he had decided to stay an extra day and would be home soon. The pictures were put into a little photo album. Seth had also gotten my daughter four t-shirts. Amazing. My son took the photo album to school and showed his class. Thank You Seth!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family