2,858 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungedeco bluesouth beachocean driveocean frontsouth endpool attendantnikki beachpool areafront desk staffoceanfront roomfew blockscity viewbeach chairsbeach servicean umbrellarestaurants and bars
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott over the New Year's holiday. It was also my husband's and my first anniversary. I think we were most dissappointed in how expensive it was vs. what you get. We had a room that overlooked the property next door that was being built. Most days the pounding started at 8:00 am and lasted until 5:00 pm. It was dissappointing to not have been told this was going on before our stay. We asked to switch rooms, but they said they were booked. I was really looking forward to the new pool they had been renovating, because I prefer pools to beaches. It was the smallest pool I've ever seen. All it takes is 7 kids to be in it to make it crowded. Overall, we were dissappointed in the ammenties for the price we were paying. We wouldn't reccommend or go back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jboushehry
Reviewed January 4, 2008

There are those places where the hotel is the destination. Then there are those places where the hotel is a passing thought. The Marriott South Beach falls squarely into the latter. And at $500/night it is an expensive passing thought. Yes, this hotel is in fine location – on the beach and a few blocks away from the action. And yes, the tiled walls and blue-lighted restaurant are distinctly South Beach/Florida. But other than these touches, a weary traveler might think he was still at the Marriott Kansas City Airport. Everything is standard Marriott – the rooms, the pool, and the fitness center. This would be all well and good if you were not in South Beach surrounded by lovely boutique hotels. And paying upwards of $500 for the room. If you are headed to South Beach to enjoy the beaches, stream of restaurants, and the world-renowned nightlife, save your dollars for these indulgences and stay somewhere else. Even if you are looking to treat yourself to a top-notch hotel experience, keep looking. This is not the destination.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scl44
Reviewed December 15, 2007

South Beach is definitley the place for fun. I call it the "fantasy land" because its almost not real. When you get home it was like you were dreaming since its such a different place. I've been to Sobe numerous times, but staying at an ocean front hotel with nice accomodations and the feeling "better then at home" is hard to come by unless you have lots of $$$. The Marriott is great! Balcony, The utmost comfortable bed ever. I almost didn't want to leave the bed and usually I'm up at the crack of dawn to enjoy my vacation. Its a wonderful hotel. The food is so so...almost too pretty to be good, but it works. I recommend if you are going to Sobe, forget the small hotels, they aren't very attractive. Its almost like you commited yourself to a vacation and a shoebox. The Marriott is a great place to stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Thevacationer00
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Really pleased with the hotel.

The bedroom was pretty big for a Marriott/city hotel. The hotel was tastefully furnished.

We had access to the members lounge on the top floor which was great, the complimentary breakfast that was provided was better than you would find in some hotels, plus free Starbucks coffee on tap. The lounge was generally quite quiet so was really nice to be able to eat breakfast on the balcony overlooking Miami.

The location is good, there are a couple of great restaurants close by, Joe's Stone Crab being one. The hotel is also close to a nice part of the beach.

As Marriott members we used points to pay for the stay so I'm not sure how the hotel was in terms of value for money.

• Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank AnnieDLondon4
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Went down to South Beach for a couple nights (Friday/Saturday) in late September. Wanted to combine some relaxing on the beach with visiting a buddy and his girlfriend living in Miami. Was able to get a great rate at this place so I took advantage and stayed here. I noticed before staying that this was a category 7 Marriott Rewards property so I had high expectations.

Check In: VERY friendly front desk staff. Quick service. Request for an upgrade (as MR Platinum member) to an ocean-view, concierge level room was honored, despite the low rate I was paying.

Room: A little bit on the small side. Of course, I was not going to SB to hang out in the hotel room. Nice balcony overlooking the ocean. Bathroom was nice, bed comfortable. Nice TV, though I really didn't watch much tv other than a few minutes each night after getting back to the room. No complimentary water bottles provided in room.

Concierge Lounge: Great views of the city. Open 7 days/week, which is nice (and unusual among Marriotts I've stayed). Perhaps I just hit the lounge at the wrong times, but I was not impressed. One morning I stopped in around 11 to get some water and the lounge was empty. Breakfast dishes were sitting on the tables, with no attendant in sight. Service in the evening was a bit better, but both nights when I made quick stops before heading out, the selection of snacks/desserts was limited.

Pool/Beach: Pool was closed. Not a problem, though. This hotel has an amazing beach location. They also provided free beach chairs for registered guests. Really, who needs a pool when you've got the Atlantic Ocean?

Location: Just about perfect. Located in South Beach, but a few blocks south of where all the action is. So you can take a very quick cab ride or walk up a few blocks and be near all the restaurants, clubs, etc. It's nice to be close without being right on top of everything.

Other: Hotel definitely has more of a boutique feel than your standard Marriott. This is a good thing, especially in South Beach. Starbucks located in lobby/front of hotel. Great for all the coffee drinkers. DId not try room service or dining at hotel restaurants. Only parking option is valet ($30/night), but in this location that's expected. Great staff, who didn't have any of the so-called South Beach attitude.

Final Thoughts: I liked this place, though I suspect its category 7 Marriott Rewards (highest category) status is due more to location than luxury or service. I would stay here again on a trip to Miami Beach assuming I could get a decent rate.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo