“We had a good time”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Abuja, Nigeria
“We had a good time”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We checked this hotel online and booked it. The check in guy seemed to not like us very much. They ask for 150usd on your card for incidentals which I felt was high. Our room didn't have a really nice view. The pool is open 24hrs with direct access to the beach and the pool staff were more than helpful. The night staff were actually friendlier and quite cute. Drinks are quite expensive here but it's a good stay all in all. Yeah and it's about 40dollars for all day valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ugwu N
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Ugwu N-

I am very sorry we let you down with a less than perfect stay. We do ask for incidental charges so that our guests are able to charge delicious food and drinks to their room. This is a standard practice for all hotels. We do hope you return so you can experience a better check in.

Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Hotel is like the many other South Beach boutique style hotels with the art deco design and all the amenities needed for an enjoyable stay. Location is ideal for all your needs as it backs onto the beach, is very close to the Lincoln Pedestrian Mall and offers many dining options at your doorstep etc.

What I feel sets this property apart from others is the most welcoming, professional, personable staff that you would ever hope for while travelling abroad.

From the initial upfront dealings with Don Mathews in Corporate Sales, Concierge Nicole / Michelle then while staying their the excellent experience of; Valet/Doorman Brian etc, Restaurant staff "Ricky" (too many names to remember but they know who they are) and finally the wonderful pool staff managed by Robert and his staff of Jonathon, Marcus etc.etc.etc.

Thanks again for a wonderful stay.

Glen

Room Tip: Might want to move up to a larger room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank G C
G C-

Thank you for the recent stay at Surfcomber! You did a great job remembering a lot of names!! I think I'm going to get a bigger nametag... Really, we appreciate the great feedback. We hope to see you soon.

Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We decided to treat ourselves and book at the Surfcomber, best choice ever!! The staff were wonderful, so lovely. The hotel is beautiful and quirky, lots of cool statues and colours. The pool and beach are gorgeous, very relaxing. The staff once again were very attentive, always asking if I needed anything. At the concierge I mentioned that I was celebrating my 21st birthday the weekend before, when I returned to my room there was a bottle of champaign and a birthday card. Couldn't get the smile off my face. Thank you to all the staff, I wish I could have stayed here longer, it truly is amazing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S-

Whew- it is great to hear you made it back okay after celebrating your 21st birthday in South Beach! We are happy we helped make this birthday special. We look foward to seeing you for the big 22!

Thanks again,

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My spouse and I stayed here in july. I have to say that the moment you walk onto there premises staring from Valet , the staff is excellent, very professional always greeting with a smile and kind words. they were very helpful and informative, especially staff member Travis R. He was extremely courteous and attentive to our needs. He made us feel at home there and is one of the many reasons we would visit again and again. The room was very nice! clean and modern. The pool area was nice with the private cabanas and both Chris's at the pool were there every time you needed them. they were very thoughtful, bringing you towels and cold flavored water or other beverages upon your request. We never had to look far for any help. It was wonderful. Oh and I almost forgot, there was a gentleman staff member in the Dining area named Karr I believe thats his name anyway he was extremely nice and engaging. We had lots of small interesting conversations during dinner with him. Very nice man. I cant say enough about that staff there. The Surfcomber has done an excellent job at choosing the perfect employees to represent their establishment.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the back entrance near the pool on the ground floor are great if you want easy a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ladywildbill-

Thank you for sharing the great experience! A shiny, well appointed building is nothing without a great team of employees with personality! We really appreciate the kind words. Thank you for your business and we look foward to seeing again.

newtownards,Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently for seven nights along with my wife and daughter and chose this hotel on the basis of very good reviews on TripAdvisor and I must say we were not disappointed.

All the staff were excellent right from our arrival until the moment we left. It just seems that they want to please the customer and even when I was waiting for my wife on one occasion in the foyer a member of staff engaged me in conversation asking about my stay and what I was planning to do.

The room we were in was relatively small as other reviewers have noted but it met our needs well. The bed was very comfortable and we had no problem sleeping. The only issue we had during our stay was one night upon returning back to the hotel our room had not been made up. We had been planning to have a pizza delivered to the room and I had to ask reception a couple of times for the room to be made up and this took about an hour to complete. I didn't complain about this at the time but did inform the hotel via a customer survey after we had returned home and they were very quickly in contact with an apology. I was pleased with their response and that is why I still give the hotel 5 stars because this seemed to emphasize how customer focused they are.

The pool area was excellent and again a lot of staff ensuring your comfort from placing towels on the sunbeds to positioning umbrellas when required and also providing iced water and cold flannels during the day. The area around the pool is nice and not very busy which made it so enjoyable. Getting to the beach was also easy and the hotel has an area for its customers where they can have umbrellas and sunbeds though it should be noted there is a $15 charge for an umbrella.

Chris in customer relations( not sure if this is his official title) was excellent chatting to all the customers around the pool area and he also led an art deco walking tour and a bicycle ride which were both very good and were complimentary.
Nicole the concierge was another excellent member of staff and gave several excellent tips to make our stay in Miami more enjoyable. My daughter was also able to have some online shopping sent to the hotel which meant we didn't have to go to one of the malls to specifically go to the shop which saved on time.

We also thought the location of the hotel was very good. It is a couple of blocks away from Ocean drive for those who like that busyness but we preferred the position of the Surfcomber as it is quieter although the SLS hotel next door can be a bit noisy at times. The Lincoln Road shopping/restaurant area is also a couple of blocks away and there is a Walgreens and CVS closeby to buy snacks etc.

We loved the Surfcomber and when we are back in Miami will stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
scbrown-

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. It is great to hear that we lived up to the positive reviews which many have shared on this site. My apologies again for the service hiccup; we will certainly remedy. Chris and Nicole are truly gifted in their ability to take care of guests. I am very happy they were able to help create a memorable experience. We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

Glasgow
Reviewed August 11, 2013

we stayed here on 2 separate occasions in June and July..had a courtyard room both times and it was nice to look out onto lovely plants and foliage rather than be on the side of the hotel looking at the exterior wall of an adjacent hotel..rooms are decent size with small, but very modern bathroom...is wrong to call it a bathroom really as has no bath, only a shower but well equipped and nice toiletries supplied..we joined the loyalty scheme which gets you a few freebies including very good free wifi and some dollar rebates if you eat or drink anything in the hotel..we did eat here a couple of times and found it a bit hit and miss but was fine for what we paid.. free coffee in the lobby in the morning, free wine hour in the late afternoon and water coolers with cold fruit filled water available too..
overall it is a great hotel, relaxed, great service, pool guys like Eric, Bryan and Marco so helpful and good at their jobs..and the best part is that it is small and comfortable and not brash and loud and in your face like many of the large neighbouring hotels... loved our stay and will definitely return..

Room Tip: the courtyard rooms are very good from the view aspect, worth a few dollars more
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank themaw
themaw-

Thank you for the continued loyalty and candid feedback. We do not want to be 'hit or miss'! We will certainly take that feedback to the team as motivation to consistently provide an excellent experience. We are glad to have you as part of our loyalty program so you can take advantage of the great perks. Our amazing pool team is looking foward to your return. Come back soon!

Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The staff at Surfcomber went above and beyond during my stay!! The room was BEAUTIFUL and well designed, with artistic flare that left you imagining you were in a posh European hotel. A bottle of champagne and artisan cheese greeted my friend and I. We sipped our bubbles and nibbled our cheese on the sprawling private balcony, overlooking the pool and beach. It was perfectly delicious! I can honestly say everything was so well executed; from check in, to check out. Cheers to that!

I was truly impressed with how clever the hotel was decorated, how friendly and outgoing the staff was. The bartenders were killing it, with staying hip to the cocktail trends. The drinks felt personally designed for my lips. You have a stellar team and I am so thankful to have experienced it all!

Thanks again Surfcomber!

Room Tip: The Corner room with a balcony over looking the pool.
Green Features: Local grub and organic grub. "Green" products and recycles bins. Totally RAD.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
christina e-

Our bartenders are pretty amazing...loved the comment about the drinks being designed personally for your lips! Thank you again for the recent stay. We look foward to serving you another round soon!