“Surfcomber by the sea”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #43 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Loved, loved, loved our stay at Surfcomber in South Beach! As Kimpton Inner Circle members, we were welcomed with a glass of prosecco and upgraded to a gorgeous suite overlooking the art deco architecture of the historic district. The location was great - boardwalk out the back and right in the thick of things - walkable to Lincoln Rd.. Espanola Way and the Wolfsonian museum. We were unexpectedly there during the Food and Wine Festival so got to see Ziggy Marley perform (from the other side of the fence!) on the beach right in back of the hotel. the outdoor pool was great - we were fortunate to have warm weather for Feb. - with a mosaic backed waterfall and a poolside bar. a complimentary wine hour is held by the pool each night. The cabana was a nice bennie for my husband who can't take the sun and we enjoyed a fruit platter and frozen drinks in the shade away from the poolside crowd. We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant out in front and enjoyed our Cuban sandwiches though it was very warm and I would have welcomed eating indoors if the restaurant had been open. Also stopped by the bar after dinner and enjoyed talking with the friendly staff there. All of the staff really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Not sure what kept me awake one night but i suspect it was the ice machine clonking so might want to...
1  Thank cookieadge
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

cookieadge-
Thank you for the fantastic posting.
Thank you also for the recommendation.
We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I loved my stay at this hotel. Though the rooms are a little on the smaller size (this is South Beach), they were very modern, clean, and comfortable. Where this hotel shines most is its service. The staff is extremely friendly and they go the extra mile to make you feel special. If you forget any toiletries - they have a list of complimentary items they will bring to your room.

Additionally, it's one of the ONLY hotels in South Beach to take in pets (thanks Kimpton) and they treat pets like they are a member of the family. The hotel has a large grassy area in the rear where dogs can run, play, and use the restroom. My only concern was there are no poopy pickup bag stations. That's a minor issue and could be addressed rather quickly.

If you join the Kimpton reward loyalty plan (it's free) they will give you free WiFi. It's definitely worth it. Beside you will fall in love with the Kimpton brand and like me you'll be seeking them out for every vacation you take.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Alex A-
Thank you for the great posting.
We love people & pets, probably a few other things to.
Wine.
We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was overall pleased with out stay. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are small but its very clean, trendy, and nice. Hotel bar was good and the complimentary reception is always great with Kimpton!
The pool and beach area are great and we loved the location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rolltide7
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

rolltide7-
Thank you for the short and sweet posting.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Surfcomber for the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. It is a boutique hotel, only 3 floors, compared to the much larger high rise hotels that surround it. Since we are part of the Kimpton Intouch Loyalty program we got the perks of a $10 minibar credit and free prosecco upon check in. We had an ocean view room but with all the palm trees it was more a view of the pool and palm trees with a little bit of the ocean in the background. It seemed most rooms at the hotel don't have a view. We loved the location, right on the boardwalk and a quick walk to Lincoln Rd with all the shops and restaurants. They have city bikes on property that you can rent for $5 for an hour, which we took advantage of. The pool service was attentive and we enjoyed the complementary sun tan lotion and nightly wine hours. They have a beach bar, floats to use in the pool and ping pong. As with all Kimpton Hotels, The Surfcomber is very dog friendly and I noticed some people even put their little dogs on the floats in the pool.

So why only 4 stars instead of 5? There were a few negatives for us. #1 - The hotel restaurant by the pool had a great lunch menu but was always closed for lunch while we were there. We therefore ate at the restaurant at the front of the hotel, where the menu selection just wasn't as appealing for us. In general we weren't impressed with the food. We had breakfast at the restaurant by the pool and the muffin and bagel both tasted like they were from Costco, definitely not fresh. I ordered a $20 fruit plate by the beach ($15 plus tip/tax) and half of the fruit was moldy and not editable. Even the waiter apologized for it, said he added some more fruit (but didn't discount it or remove the moldy fruit). Another negative was that people were smoking in their lounge chairs by the pool. Since the lounge chairs are close together and it was very crowded while we were there, if someone started smoking next to you there wasn't really anywhere you could move to. I wish they would ban smoking by the pool. Also, while we were there they were doing a photo shoot for the hotel's website. As a result they had half of the pool area closed off one morning until about 11am or so. They spent quite a few hours setting up, placing flowers on chairs and on a chuppah. It would of been nice if they had this done earlier in the morning before people arrived at the pool. I must say though the pool boy was great and definitely did his best trying to please everyone and apologizing for the inconvenience.

amyanderlonis-
Thank you for staying with us and for posting your experience.
I like your suggestion about limiting smoking on the pool deck.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I do not even know where to begin. First and foremost I have never felt compelled to write a review on trip advisor until my stay at the surfcomber. The overarching problem is the party thrown at the pool's hotel. Had I known about it, I would have 100% opted to stay elsewhere, however when I booked I was not made aware of of this. When I arrived I quickly checked in, dropped off my bags and proceeded to the beach. I walked thru the pool area to get there but was not sure where the exit for the beach was, so I politely asked one of the security guards how I could get to beach to only be screamed at that there was no re-entry and to move along. I was baffled considering I hadn't even left the property yet and was simply asking how to get to the beach! Then when I got to my beach chair I tried to order a mojito but was informed they only sold mojitos by the pitcher for $55. I then tried to order a kettle one and soda to be informed that they only had one type of vodka and it wasn't kettle one. After laying on the beach for an hour and enjoying my sub-par drink with who knows what vodka, I returned to my room and ordered room service. DO NOT order the braised beef flatbread pizza, it made me exceptionally ill to the point where I could not leave my room. And the worst part was I couldn't even sleep to attempt to feel better bc the music from the pool party was overwhelmingly loud and went until 11 pm. Rather than being able to go out and have a nice dinner in Miami I was confined to my room listening to the party in the room next door and hours upon hours of house music. I wish the nightmare ended here, but it did not. The next morning I took the stairs to the lobby to find a used tampon laying in the middle of the staircase, disgusting. I then asked one of the gentleman at the front for assistance with getting a cab, just to be told to get my own. Unreal. And to top it off, when I returned to my hotel that night, I found that someone either decided to have a food fight or went on an angry tirade in the hallway as there was food and broken plates everywhere right outside my door. All in all I was behind disgusted and disappointed. It's a shame the hotel sacrifices the hotel guests experience in favor of the pool party. I will have to say pepe and heather at the beach were wonderful, however, it was not enough to make up for the awful stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Rachael K

Rachyk1339-
Wow, we are so sorry about this experience.
There are only 2 times of year where we host events of this magnitude; Winter Music Conference & the Fourth of July. I will reach out to you to discuss further and win back your faith in our product & service.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

OK - so its not the Fontainbleau, or the Ritz, BUT its a clean property that usually runs about half the cost of SoBe's finest. The pool is fun, the walk to the beach is short, and yes, it boasts Kimpton's free wine hour! Hey - that never hurts. Rooms were a little small, but we didn't care we were never in it! The pool area is nice and very convenient to the beach. Just a short walk across the boardwalk. So, when looking for a fun stay in SoBe, the Surfcomber is a great choice and will help save some extra cash for out on the town.

1  Thank Ryan P
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Ryan P-
Thank you for staying with us and the nice posting.
We appreciate that you mention the value of staying at the Surfcomber.
Beautiful dog.
See you again soon

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am a new Kimpton member, and am very disappointed with my stay in South Beach. The pool is closed, the gym is closed, access to the beach is closed and as I sit in my room at 8:40PM, housekeeping has still not serviced it. I have taken two showers since this morning. This is the latest i have ever seen a hotel not service a room. There is a music event that was not disclosed on either booking nor the hotel website. Although I am certain this brings in significant revenue for the hotel, it significantly inconveniences guests. If I had been advised, I would have booked an alternate hotel.
For the cost, I am sure alternate locations would have far superseded this Kimpton.
In fact, the 'alternate' pool, located a block away, not exactly the full service vacation I had paid for (the lovely, peaceful, customer service oriented Sagamore), had much better customer service and attentiveness. I am still sitting in my room, after personally visiting the front the desk to alert them that my room hadn't been serviced, say 20 minutes now and counting. A cart sits outside my room, but no service.
Absolutely not what I expected from a Kimpton hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank gigi646

gigi646-
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences which you encountered during your stay with us.
I would love to invite you back to truly experience the Surfcomber. I will reach out personally.
On a side note we have placed messaging about our events on every booking channel.