“Amazing Experience - so accommodating!!”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #43 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was traveling to Miami on business and learned, with great dismay, that I left my toiletry bag at home. I called downstairs and the Kimpton team were able to replace EVERYTHING in my bag, no extra charge. And they didn't replace things, like my contact solution, with no-name generics. No, they sent up the real deal. Overall, the location and the property are great - but the staff are what makes it truly amazing. Recommended!!

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton Intouch member for some additional perks. If the courtyard music is still playing w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

teaism-
Thank you for the amazing posting.
We are so happy that we were able to help you out in a time of need.
Thx for the recommendation; come see us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don't know where to begin.. from the early check in to the personalized accommodation, The Surfcomber Hotel was the best!! I stayed here for 3 beautiful nights and had an amazing time. Everyone was so friendly, the food was great, rooms were clean, and the ambience was BLISS.

The poolside experience was beautiful and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday trip. I will definitely make it back there within the next few months.. GREAT JOB!!

I would especially like to acknowledge the concierge and service staff namely Andrew L who attended to my every need with such a warm spirit... I hope to see him when I return :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dee-Dee F-
Happy belated birthday.
Thank you for the fantastic posting.
We are excited for your return.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very recently, my husband and I stayed at the Riverplace Hotel in Portland, which is a Kimpton hotel. We are fairly new to the Kimpton chain but we enjoyed our Portland experience so much that we were eager to try another Kimpton--the Miami Surfcomber. The Surfcomber was not the same experience as the Riverplace--not by a long shot but it's not terrible. Perhaps the Riverplace spoiled us with too high expectations.

Here are the pros:

GREAT location in SoBe. We could walk to all the great shops and restaurants in the area.

Because we joined the Kimpton rewards program, we were given free Internet access, $10.00 off our minibar, and with our package came a 1.00 drink or breakfast option, which was generous.

They have a really great restaurant in the back, with fantastically comfortable couches, which for someone with a bad back (like me) will love. The chef at the restaurant is also *very* good. We really enjoyed our drinks and meals. The chef came out and said hello, which was a nice touch. We also had a sandwich at the bar the next afternoon--and their Cuban sandwich is excellent.

The bed is really comfortable--but I love soft, "feel like you are on a cloud" beds. If you like very firm mattresses, this might not suit you--but I loved it.

Cons:

Whereas the friendliness and helpful attitude of the staff at the Portland Kimpton seemed genuine and the folks truly went out of their way to make us feel special and well taken care of, the Surfcomber seemed to display an almost over-the-top welcome (which is fine) but compared to the service we experienced, they talk the talk but don't quite walk the walk.

We ordered room service one night (we had just had an exhausting week in Key West) and the person who took the order at the front desk forgot to tell the restaurant about our order and after waiting an hour for our meal (which was to take between 30 - 45 minutes they said), we called back only to find out that our order had never been placed! So, we had to wait another 35 - 40 minutes, by which time we were starving. They had asked if we wanted a free bottle of wine to make it up to us, but we had bought our own so said no. However, when the dinner finally did come, the unwanted wine was brought, as well as 2 pieces of cheesecake, which while nice, wasn't wanted as my husband and I are trying to cut down on late night sweet calories. It would have been nicer if they had actually listened and not brought any "gifts" but just taken a bit off the bill.

The housekeeping staff did not do a great job in cleaning our room, even though we left a tip every night we were there (and we were there an extra day due to the NE hurricane and our inability to get a flight to Boston). She gave us several bottles of hair conditioner for some reason but didn't replace the things were actually used and were out of (body lotion). I also didn't like the fact that after the "cleaning" our bathroom floor felt gritty with sand from the beach from the day before.

I'd like to give this hotel 3.5 stars, but that's not an option, so I'm going to have to give it only a 3. The missing food service--plus the disingenuous of the staff (over-wide smiles, while under-performing service), plus the upgrade that seemed more like a downgrade (I'd hate to see their small rooms!!!), I have to give this hotel only 3 stars.

But I'm not giving up on Kimptons. Our Riverplace experience was so terrific and there are enough good ideas on this chain overall definitely will give us reason enough to stay at more of their hotels. Probably not the Surfcomber, though!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room--or at least ask the dimensions of the room they are going to give you. My hu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

melindaville-
Thank you for the posting. We sincerely apologize for coming up a bit short regarding your stay with us. What is distinctive of Kimpton hotels is the uniqueness of each of our properties and the varied experiences they enable us to provide. That being said; we clearly have some work to do. Thank you again for the feedback, I can assure you upon your return your stay will be significantly better.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family originally booked in at The Perry down the road and fled the construction site that it was in disgust (but that's another review....) Thankfully the Surfcomber was an oasis of peace and tranquility after the Perry's incessant jackhammering and war zone decor. Staff at the front desk were very helpful and (probably the best hotel staff I have encountered - particular thanks to Vanessa) and they informed me that they had had numerous groups of refugees fleeing the Perry.

The hotel location was fantastic - just a street away from Lincoln Rd Mall. The hotel is quite an old building but has been renovated to try and keep up with the times. Having said that I'm not exactly sure if the life size plastic animals in the lobby are particularly cool.

My brother & I stayed in a double room (2 double beds). The rooms have been renovated to modern standards and are very clean and very comfortable with top quality linen on nice beds. Best of all the room was wonderfully quiet. The only two down sides are

A couple of comments though - the rooms are very small with very little space and almost no cupboard space. he beds in the room were short doubles rather than normal queen size which mean i had to sleep on a diagonal or my feet would have hung off the bed (I'm 6'3"). The bathroom was similarly very small and probably one of the smallest hotel bathrooms I can remember.

Outside the pool area was great with a very relaxed sandy area at the back leading to a rustic fence that blended nicely with the beach itself. Probably one of the nicest, low key and unpretentious hotel areas in Miami.

I would have given this hotel 5 stars but despite the excellent service, room rates were over $200 a night and despite this being Miami Beach the rooms were too small and the hotel too old to justify such prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shmemley
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Shmemley-
Well, thank you for staying and the great posting.
Historic buildings truly have limitations on guest room space.
Albeit, we are so happy that you enjoyed the service.
It’s true the cows aren't cool; nor are we.
We pride ourselves on friendliness and delivering genuinely comfortable guest experiences.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Surfcomber for two nights on our wedding anniversary, after a week in Orlando. Our plan was to rest from all the parks and shopping before coming back home. And rest we did! The hotel has a great pool, excellent service and is very well located, very close to great restaurants like Pied a Terre and Casa Tua and a walking distance aways from the northern end of Ocean Drive. Prices are not the best, but it's worth it if you're looking for a nice place to relax in Miami.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

markusbkoch-
Happy Anniversary.
I love Casa Tau; absolutely the best Italian.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I found our experience here so extraordinary that I found ti neccessary to have this be my first trip advisor review. We arrived at 6 AM and our room was ready. The customer service starting with checkin was all superb. They mastered customer service. The hotel was a very cool hotel, very clean, and very comfortable. We are going to make an effort to come back here and to stay at as many Kimpton hotels as possible. I would be shocked to hear a valid complaint about this place! Nice work Kimpton!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

ReneeGallz-
Welcome to tripadvisor.
Thank you for the great posting; we appreciate your generosity & look forward to your loyalty.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My great experience started as soon as I checked in. My room was ready at 9:00 am. and the front desk staff was very pleasant. I had just come from another hotel were the staff didn't even acknowledge my presence. I try to stay at Kimpton Hotels whenever possible as I enjoy their funky ambience. The room was nicely decorated and comfortable and I thought the "blinds" were very South Beach. The pool area was beautiful and the staff very attentive. Customer service was the best.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Gbow-
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for the great posting and for mentioning our guest service.
We look forward to your return.