“Sufficient hotel, trendy boutique style for those who like that”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #39 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Akron, OH
“Sufficient hotel, trendy boutique style for those who like that”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for a business conference. It was the overflow hotel as the Loew's was booked. It was sufficient, clean, comfortable. I had a corner room facing the the main street which I didn't mind. You could see the nightlife and see views of the restaurants and people walking by. One of my colleagues had a room facing a wall. I would have hated that. The other had a room with a view of the terrace leading to the pool. Not bad.

The room was clean, well decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but trendy with glass shower and metallic and glass sink.

I didn't swim but saw the pool. It looked very nice.

I think the reasons I give it a four is because they charge for internet service which annoys me especially when the city offers free wi-fi. Secondly, I saw the accomodations and the pool area at the Loew's when I walked over for the conference. I was stunned at how nice it was. The surfcomber was fine and clean, but I would have rather stayed at the Loew's.

Room Tip: Be specific as to what you want to see from your window.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
chellene -
Thank you for the posting.
We are clearly a different experience from the Loews. We are small and develop personalized experiences.
We do offer complimentary internet for all our loyalty guests, which is complimentary to sign up for. We hope to see you again.
Sean McKeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Surfcomber four days in February, 2012. Our room was freshly decorated with a nice bathroom. Staff was young and very friendly and accommodating. We were warmly greeted every time we entered the hotel. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. Every night at 5 PM, they host a wine happy hour in the super modern lobby. The adjoining bar is cozy and the bartender was very pleasant. Location is great for beach, Lincoln Road shopping and cheap city bus to the airport. Free Internet was certainly appreciated. My only criticism is that the hall-ways are painted black and it is so dark that it is difficult to find your room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Keniston -
We are so happy that you had a great experience with us in February.
We have further developed our guest experience since then.
We hope to see you again soon.
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a blast, Ryan took great care of me and my son during our 1+ week stay. The whole staff was great, but Ryan made sure that my son and I were having an awesome time every time he was around.

I would recommend the surf-comber to anyone and will definitely be staying here every time I am in south beach for work or leisure.

+1 for my man Ryan!

Jr from NY

Room Tip: I stayed in 337 ocean front
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jrtuned -
Thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for recognizing Ryan for exceeding expectations.
See you again soon.
sm
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had an amazing time in Miami and so much of it was due to our wonderful experience at Surfcomber. The rooms were contemporary and fun, the common areas were really quirky (we especially liked the roving sheep statue) and the pool and beach areas were both beautiful. What made the stay even better was the staff. Chris at the front desk was great when we checked in, super friendly and helpful. Louie and Billy in the restaurant were superstars and gave us excellent suggestions of things to do and places to go while we were in town. It was really all about feeling like we were staying with friends and we will definitely be recommending the Surfcomber to everyone who is headed to South Beach!

ahjay -
That’s an awesome posting.
We love hearing that you felt as if you were staying with friends.
Because you are our friends, we can't wait for you to return.
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here - great location, top notch service and great little extras like the 5pm Happy Hour and our early check-in!

Just wouldn't waste your money on a cabana...they are "indoor" cabanas which I found to be a little weird - however, they came in handy when it started to rain.

2 Thank JanetC
JanetC -
Thank you for posting your experience with us.
We are designing a few open air cabanas as we speak.
We hope you will be back soon to experience them as well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've been spoiled by Kimpton for years...I travel for business and found this brand and converted my companies three jobs ago....but during my second time at Surfcomber, this hotel stands out from the rest with the level of service and sincere smiles coming from the entire team. Not only do they want to help you, they want to know you're enjoying yourself and will ask you the right questions to find out exactly what you need now. The hotel is hands down perfect with the lovely rooms, its unique pool (where did the cows go from the waterfall?) and right on beachfront and has all the Kimpton touches throughout (who is the lucky person who gets to decorate??) that has now become like my second home...but its really the people, Jessica, Jorge, Sonja, Melissa, Lucia, Brian....sorry if I missed anyone else who rocked my stay...I will remember. Great job Sean...can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade, as rooms are from another era and a bit small.
1 Thank Ellery P
Ellery P -
Thank you so much for the amazing posting.
I will look into where the cows went.
We look forward to your return.
Casey, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was our first trip to the Miami Beach area. We booked our hotel based on reviews that we had read. When we arrived we were greeted by Dorgis, "Gorgeous Dorgis." Dorgis was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Each time that Dorgis saw the two of us during our time at the Surfcomber, he made us feel very welcome and always took the time to speak to us, ask us how we were doing, and was so genuinely friendly. Chris and Brent were two young men that wrked the front desk during the evening. Both Chris and Brent were exceptionally friendly and very helpful with directions, dining options, and clubs/entertainment. All of these gentlemen were also had a great sense of humor and were very real and easy to talk with. They made our stay at the Surfcomber a great experience and we will definitely stay there once again.

To complete our great experience, the folks that rented the beach chairs and umbrellas were also the very best. They were funny, friendly and amazing. They reocgnized us every day and went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of...and made sure they saw us on our last day and wished us a safe trip home.

Everyone was more than nice...they were real and genuine. We highly recommend the Surfcomber to anyone and everyone...all because of the great people we mentioned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell R
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Russell R -
Thank you for the fantastic posting.
We truly appreciate that you mentioned how friendly & genuine the employees are.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.