“Wonderful weekend getaway...that exceeded my expectations”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #39 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Wonderful weekend getaway...that exceeded my expectations”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here from April 19-22nd with my friends for a girls getaway celebrating my friend who was getting married.This hotel was wonderful from the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out on Sunday. The staff was beyond friendly and willing to help you with anything you needed. The hotel was very clean and located within walking distance of everything from Collins, Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, and Espanola Way. The free happy hour from everyday was an added bonus and a nice way to wind down after a day at the pool/beach. The pool staff was friendly and willing to get you towels, or move umbrellas. The free water by the pool and sunscreen was also an added bonus. This hotel has everything you many need for a getaway, they made everything so easy and carefree. I would definitely recommend the hotel to everyone, and I will definitely be coming back for another stay. The hotel was recently renovated which was also nice, the rooms were great and the beds were comfy. I liked the decor of the hotel as well.

I would like to say a special thank you to Lucia at the front desk who was so helpful and sweet sending us something special to our room and helping us book reservations for dinner, the concierge was also helpful, Ben who checked us in the night we arrived, Jonathan and everyone else working at the pool on Friday April 20th, the maids who cleaned our room, and the doormen who went out of their way to get us a cab so that none of us would be separated. We all enjoyed our weekend in Miami at the Surfcomber and the hospitality from everyone who works here was greatly appreciated and certainly remembered!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Teemarie4 -
That’s awesome; we love to hear that we exceeded expectations.
Come back soon.
sm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This hotel was outstanding, from the location, to the restaurant, to the pool down to the customer service provided. I booked my hotel through priceline.com from a Thursday-Tuesday so I couldn't be accomdate on the first few night for a double bed. However, Jennifer (The FrontDesk manager) made sure I was accomdate on Sunday. The restaurant food was very tasty! I have rave about this so much that I told all of my family and friends when you are visiting Miami stay only at the Surfcomber hotel! I will be back very soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christian D
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Christian D -
Thank you so much for the outstanding service posting.
We look forward to both you and your families return.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Reviewed May 4, 2012

A colleague and I ended up needing to stay in Miami on short notice and decided that a night on Miami Beach would be a good choice. We chose the Surfcomber because of its location and my very positive experiences with Kimpton hotels. The Surfcomber did not disappoint. We were greeted cheerfully by Michie when we arrived. I stayed in a beautiful suite (304) that was nicely appointed and very clean. I can confirm that the bathrooms are very small but are clean and well maintained. I stay at Kimpton hotels frequently and can say that the folks at the Surfcomber are perhaps the most friendly and helpful of any hotel Kimpton hotel I have visited. Furthermore, I am a member of their loyalty program and their attention to my preferences was spot on and well above average. We ate dinner out on Lincoln Street based on a nice recommendation from the Surfcomber staff. We also had a great breakfast sitting on the patio at Lantao in the morning. I am returning to the hotel in two weeks with my wife to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (and compete in a triathlon) and I could not be more excited based on my brief first experience. Well done, Surfcomber.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jason W -
Wow, most friendly and helpful of all Kimpton’s; that’s a bold statement.
So, happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return with wifey.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 4, 2012

y twin daughters & I spent 4 days at the Surfcomber. We arrived early & went I asked if I could store my luggaue I was informed that my room was already ready. The staff was kind & refreshing helping make the best of a rainy 2 days. I asked them prior to arrival to do 'something special' for my daughters sweet 16th bday. Spear headed by Michelle the staff decorated the room w/ balloons, card, water & personal individual cakes. The hotel is very beautiful & the pictures don't do it justice. From the pictures I thought the pool area would have been a little dated but that's not the case at all. Our room (202) faced Collins Ave, modern decor, very clean and surprisingly roomy for 3 adults. The lobby is absolutely beautiful & they have a daily complementary wine hr (5-6 pm) that was very cool. Kudos to the staff from front desk to housekeeping ... keep up the great work ... Kimpton should be very proud of the South Beach staff!!

Room Tip: Ask question prior to arriving & you get more done if you have a positive attitude.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Twzplus1 -
Thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy we enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to your return.
Dulles, Virginia
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I got a deal through Hotwire but it was still overpriced. And yes, I know, Miami Beach hotels are expensive but, still, it was overpriced. Actually, there were soap residues in the shower area and hairs on the bathroom floor. As I wanted to look what was the "snack box", I found snacks, yes, but also dust, a lot of dust, which was pretty disgusting.
No matter the price you pay, no matter the location of the hotel, if it's not clean, it's a failure.

On the bright side, the front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Swissworld_traveller
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Swissworld_traveller -
Wow, so disappointed in this posting.
We have discussed your feedback in detail and will be making adjustments.
Thank you for praising the employees.
Sean McKeen
Kingston, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed here for only one night after our first cruise. I am so glad I sprang a little extra $ to spend one last night here in Miami. The rooms are cute, modern eclectic style decor with super comfy beds and a great shower. Fantastic pool with lots of places to lounge. If you tire of the pool, the crystal clear waters and sugar sands of Miami beach are literally steps away. I wish we spent our whole vacation here. We arrived off the cruise super early, before 10 AM and we were not only allowed to check in but were welcomed with open arms. Our room was ready and they were happy to give us the keys. The attendants that greeted us and took our bags were so amazingly friendly. They made us immediately feel relaxed and comfortable. The cruise line that touts itself on guest service could definitely learn a few things from this hotel. Honestly, this was by far the best part of our trip. I wish we could have spent our whole week here. Don't miss out on the on site restaurant, Lantao. So refreshing after a week of bland cruise dining. I am craving the sticky coconut rice like crazy. Again, wow. What a great find, I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
eloci63
Wow, thank you for the glowing posting.
We miss you too.
boston
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. The beach is great and a nice pool area. The room was very small. In particular the bathroom. Only one person can fit in it at a time. My TV didn't work properly for the entire three nights. Only a few stations on it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
chris50Boston -
Thank you for the great location posting.
We are have remedied our opportunities with our new HD Lodgenet system.
We look forward to your return.
Sean McKeen