“Great new Kimpton”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Check-in: Excellent check-in experience as is expected at any Kimpton. We brought our dog (Einstein) and loved the true welcome that our dog receivedd.

Room: it was small but immaculately clean and perfect for our needs (and the great price for the location). A few items still need fine tuned (like masking tape on the back of the TV remote).

Pool area: still under construction and it seemed that no one monitored the area as is expected at Kimptons. I would think when the cabanas are finished the area would be fully staffed.

My only issue was with lack of professional appearance of some of the staff. All service was excellent but some employees were dressed professionally and others wore wrinkled unlabled polo shirts. Some staff just wore plain clothes which made it difficult to distinguish them from guests. I have been to numerous Kimptons and found this detail quite abnormal.

• Stayed: December 2011
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

kwbts124 -
Thank you for posting your experience with us.
Lots for great feedback. We are developing our pool deck experience; which will blow you away upon your return. That’s a promise. As for uniforms, we may need to revisit.
We look forward to your return w/ Einstein.
Sean McKeen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)

Reviewed December 24, 2011

We have traveled around the world and stayed in some very nice hotels with great service and people. However, Reuben Trane, concierge at the Surfcomber Miami South Beach, went way out of his way to help make the stay something great! He distinguished both himself and the hotel and in the process made Christmas for someone, who was far from home and stuck working, feel just a little more like home.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Murphy G

Murphy G -
Merry Christmas.
We are so happy that Reuben made you feel more at home.
When you are with us you are family.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I have nothing but high commendations for the staff. Everyone there was friendly, professional and helpful. Upon arrival, Lucia checked me in and was very nice and accommodating. She gave me honest recommendations on dancing venues. The room was small but very serene and clean with extraordinarily comfy pillows. I was there for the Latin Music Miami Beach Half Marathon so the location was perfect. The hotel has a back exit to the beach path which was a short jog to the start line. Mauricio and the night staff were incredibly helpful bringing out complimentary coffee (earlier than usual - thank God), snacks and fruit before the race. On late dance nights, Mauricio, Rashad, Dorgis, and Brian made sure we were well taken care of offering advice and making sure we had our late night snacks. My friends checked out early and I thought I was gonna be bored but after a couple of days there, I felt I was apart of the family. I really don't know how Kimpton does it but it seems like they hire cream of the crop! I've stayed at other South Beach hotels and none of them come close to the quality service provided here, "Ni le llegan a los talones!".

Room Tip: It doesn't matter what room you get, just make sure you put the do not disturb sign outside your...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

MamboWithMe -
Wow, so happy that you had a fantastic stay with us.
Our goal is to exceed all our guest expectations through genuine & personalized service.
We will follow up on the honor bar opportunity, thank you for bring that to our attention.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed for two nights at the end of the vacation. As always, Kimpton staff are a league above Hilton or Marriott staff, they seem intrinsically more intelligent and polite than most hotel staff! We had a lot of bags and they were whisked up to our room. The rooms are small, but the bed is very comfy and for South Beach $119 a night for a hotel as nice as this you can't complain. The food from the restaurant by the pool was delicious and perfectly cooked.

Issues: Wifi in the room didn't work. For some reason we had a room which the wifi signals couldn't penetrate. We were moved rooms and given an ocean view room which was much larger with working wifi. The pool area needs more work done to it but there were plenty of clean towns and chairs available outside it.

Overall another great Kimpton property however it needs a further few months of snagging and touching up to make it truly exceptional. This will rival the Tides soon in terms of quality of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lukelb1231
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2011

lukelb1231-
Wow, that’s a great 4; rivaling the Tides.
And I agree with all your points. Especially about the staff, we are head and shoulders above the competition.
We are at the same time fine tuning internet, landscaping around the pool desk and the pool deck cabana's are receiving the final touches.
Our goal is to exceed expectations with our current product; within 2 weeks we will be complete.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

When I Miami, I usually stay at the excellent Epic, downtown. The Surfcomber is a new Kimpton group property, located directly on the beach - perfect if you need to be near the ocean. On my recent visit, the hotel had just become part of the Kimpton chain, and the new look and service were fantastic. The property is located directly on Miami Beach's oceanfront, with direct access to the surf right from the hotel (there's also a fantastic boardwalk for running). The hotel is chic and well designed, with an extremely inviting staff welcoming all with grace and ease. The lobby is 'cool' without being space age - an warm 'living room'. It's a great place to hang out, enjoy complimentary wine in the late afternoon, or morning coffee (also on the house). The wifi is excellent throughout the hotel, even at the pool (free for In Touch members). The pool - fantastic, luxurious, and unlike many other SoBe properties, in full sun. There are nice loungers, a soothing fountain, Fatboy beanbags, and ubiquitous palm trees - quite heavenly, and facing the beach. The rooms are nice sized, thoughtfully designed, with excellent beds and great pillows. Room service is lightning fast from the great restaurant on site. Bathrooms are small but sparkly and cool, with tons of towels and great Etro products. All in all, a great addition to the Kimpton group and my new home when I need to be at the beach as opposed to downtown. Bravo to Michelle and her team - a superb job!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Design-Family -
That’s awesome.
Thank you so much for posting your experience with us.
We are super excited to welcome you back to your new home.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights when they were doing the renovations, I can say that the rooms are clean and nice but unfortunatly I am really disappointed with how they handle the organization and the day of my wedding!!
They didn't care at all about me, the kept sending me to talk to 5 different people and noone knew what to tell me, my wedding planner was also sending to them e mails and this one and a half month before the wedding day!!I was really stressed!I just made a request of having few lights for the dinner and the answer was yes, but they didn't put the lights so all the tables were really dark and the pictures are horrible, all my guests were complaining!!
I also didn't have the mirror in my room even if I was the Bride!I have other things to say but I think is enough info for the next bride!!
I think that even if you change the company in the middle of the organization, you should maintain the same as was said before to a bride, wich already sent the invitations!!
I only want to say thanks to Nathaly and the 2 door gusy wich were really helpful!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vivijan M
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

Vivijan M-
I am terribly saddened to read your posting.
Let me first apologize for this experience with us. The lighting for the event should have been perfect and there should of never of been a need to request a mirror on such a momentous day. The items should have been provided and we will denote for the future.
In September on the date of your event we were still muddling through our renovation.
That is not an excuse; we have simply have re-launched our product and service since then.
I will be reaching out to assist in winning back your loyalty and creating another experience for you that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed here prior to running the half marathon. The Surfcomber was one of the official hotels for this event. I had read the prior reviews and was somewhat concerned, but after speaking to a very nice reservation person with Kimpton, I decided to take a chance. Right at check-in, all my worries disappeared. We were warmly greeted and were amazed how friendly each and everyone of the staff was. Our room, although somewhat small, had been updated nicely and was very comfortable. The location was excellent and was within easy walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The pool and location to the beach was fantastic. We enjoyed the evening happy hour where wine was served. They also went out of their way on the morning of the run and provided complimentary food and drink. Check-out was easy and efficient. Our bellman even went out of his way to bring us Gatorade and granola bars to help us recover from the run.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

tnvols -
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
We offer a complimentary wine hour daily to try to get to know our hotel guests.
We look forward to your return next year for the Dodge marathon 2012.