“Another Kimpton Gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Another Kimpton Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

When I Miami, I usually stay at the excellent Epic, downtown. The Surfcomber is a new Kimpton group property, located directly on the beach - perfect if you need to be near the ocean. On my recent visit, the hotel had just become part of the Kimpton chain, and the new look and service were fantastic. The property is located directly on Miami Beach's oceanfront, with direct access to the surf right from the hotel (there's also a fantastic boardwalk for running). The hotel is chic and well designed, with an extremely inviting staff welcoming all with grace and ease. The lobby is 'cool' without being space age - an warm 'living room'. It's a great place to hang out, enjoy complimentary wine in the late afternoon, or morning coffee (also on the house). The wifi is excellent throughout the hotel, even at the pool (free for In Touch members). The pool - fantastic, luxurious, and unlike many other SoBe properties, in full sun. There are nice loungers, a soothing fountain, Fatboy beanbags, and ubiquitous palm trees - quite heavenly, and facing the beach. The rooms are nice sized, thoughtfully designed, with excellent beds and great pillows. Room service is lightning fast from the great restaurant on site. Bathrooms are small but sparkly and cool, with tons of towels and great Etro products. All in all, a great addition to the Kimpton group and my new home when I need to be at the beach as opposed to downtown. Bravo to Michelle and her team - a superb job!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Design-Family -
That’s awesome.
Thank you so much for posting your experience with us.
We are super excited to welcome you back to your new home.
Sean McKeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights when they were doing the renovations, I can say that the rooms are clean and nice but unfortunatly I am really disappointed with how they handle the organization and the day of my wedding!!
They didn't care at all about me, the kept sending me to talk to 5 different people and noone knew what to tell me, my wedding planner was also sending to them e mails and this one and a half month before the wedding day!!I was really stressed!I just made a request of having few lights for the dinner and the answer was yes, but they didn't put the lights so all the tables were really dark and the pictures are horrible, all my guests were complaining!!
I also didn't have the mirror in my room even if I was the Bride!I have other things to say but I think is enough info for the next bride!!
I think that even if you change the company in the middle of the organization, you should maintain the same as was said before to a bride, wich already sent the invitations!!
I only want to say thanks to Nathaly and the 2 door gusy wich were really helpful!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vivijan M
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Vivijan M-
I am terribly saddened to read your posting.
Let me first apologize for this experience with us. The lighting for the event should have been perfect and there should of never of been a need to request a mirror on such a momentous day. The items should have been provided and we will denote for the future.
In September on the date of your event we were still muddling through our renovation.
That is not an excuse; we have simply have re-launched our product and service since then.
I will be reaching out to assist in winning back your loyalty and creating another experience for you that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to your return.
Smyrna,TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed here prior to running the half marathon. The Surfcomber was one of the official hotels for this event. I had read the prior reviews and was somewhat concerned, but after speaking to a very nice reservation person with Kimpton, I decided to take a chance. Right at check-in, all my worries disappeared. We were warmly greeted and were amazed how friendly each and everyone of the staff was. Our room, although somewhat small, had been updated nicely and was very comfortable. The location was excellent and was within easy walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The pool and location to the beach was fantastic. We enjoyed the evening happy hour where wine was served. They also went out of their way on the morning of the run and provided complimentary food and drink. Check-out was easy and efficient. Our bellman even went out of his way to bring us Gatorade and granola bars to help us recover from the run.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tnvols -
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
We offer a complimentary wine hour daily to try to get to know our hotel guests.
We look forward to your return next year for the Dodge marathon 2012.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

One of the best places I have ever stayed at. Perfect location with the beach just steps from your room. The best part of our stay was the staff-they were professional, warm and catered to our every need. They welcome you from the moment you step foot here and make sure that your every request is met. Mauricio, Rashad and Dorgis were friendly, professional and helped make us feel welcomed. They offered great suggestions for places to eat, suggestions for how to get to the airport, and great hangout spots. I have stayed at other Kimpton hotels, but I must say this beat the other hotels as well. What makes this hotel stand out from the rest is the amazing service, they really do make you feel right at home!! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All rooms here are great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Patty G-
Wow, thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
And to say you enjoyed your stay here better than any other Kimpton is amazing. Thank you.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Great renovation! Hotel was immaculate and very comfortable. Rooms were large with high end finishes/furnishings. Our room had a private roof top patio overlooking the pool and ocean. Staff was very efficient and friendly. The pool and lounge area was incredible. A great value and I will stay here on each return trip to South Beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
weking-
Thank you for taking a moment to post your experience with us.
Sean Mckeen
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Stayed at the Surfcomber over Thanksgiving weekend. They were just wrapping up their renovations - lobby is sleek and modern, the overnight rooms are quaint but fun design! the bathroom is really cute and well layed out. Truly can't beat the location - right on Collins Ave and with the pool that overlooks the beach!! Great staff, always love Kimpton hotels!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin A
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Kristin A-
Cute doggie.
I hope upon your return that you are able to bring your buddy with you.
We love pets and they stay complimentary, your family is our family.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

It is in an excellent location, the beach is out the back gate. Close to shopping, restaurants, bars but far enough away to be quite. A Miami Transit Airport Flyer stop is just a few steps out the front door($2.35 Airport to South Beach). The hotel and my room were comfortable, clean and updated. Vanessa at the desk was friendly and professional. Brian (Bellman) ,Dorges, Mauricio and Chef Freddie gave me some great suggestions when I asked about things away from the hustle of Lincoln Rd and Ocean Dr. I am just sorry I can remember everyone's name. They all went above and beyond to make me fell welcome. Great Place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Darryl99-
Great tip on the airport flyer.
Thank you for the great posting as well and for praising our teams service.