“Great but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Bruxelles, Belgique
“Great but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel for a couple of days earlier in August. This was the first part of our Florida tour. We decided to start it off in Miami to simply enjoy and relax Miami and Miami Beach in particular. The hotel itself is composed of 3 buildings. This should be known before booking as this setup has some side-effects. We had a room in the main building where the reception can be found. A beautiful double queen, decorated with a lot of style. When we arrived, the room was fresh and ready as expected. We felt immediately well. The reception was very quick and efficient. Arriving quite late after a very long trip from Europe, we decided to give the rental car to the valet parking, hoping to find a more affordable solution for the next days.

The room has all the amenities it should have : a huge well functionning television, an ipod doc with radio, a well furnished mini-bar and a wide variety of snacks. The only thing that would be missing is the coffee making set, which I would except from such a place to be present in the room.

The bathroom is nice, equiped with a huge shower, which works well (good water flow and reliable temperature regulation). The toilet is also to be found here. The sink however is in the room so out of the bathroom. Not annoying to us but could be to some people.

Our room was really very quiet which allowed us to have 2 lovely relaxing nights before hitting the road to discover the rest of Florida.

Foodwise, there is a small cuban place next to the hotel. It's outside, so no airco but some huge ventilators ensure that there is plenty of air. We tried it out for lunch and had some very descent salads and sandwiches. At night, live music was played at this restaurant.

We also made use of the pool on the rooftop was is actually on the top of another building. Still ok, as you can go from our building to the other building through some internal route. No need to hit the street in your swimwear. This is not true for the bamboo pool which is based in the 3rd building at the other side of the street. We didn't try that one out due to no time. The rooftop pool is small but serves the purpose : getting a refreshing plunge and some sun. The sun hits very hard here though so beware. Around the pool a beautful sundeck equiped with confortable matrasses and some umbrellas. Not all of them function well tough. There is also a shower and some inflatable stuff that can be used by hotel guests.

Very nice pool despite its size. What I didn't like is that some guests reserved some matrasses. Hotels should really try to do something about this. Also the hotel was providing all guests with towels and still some people preferred to lay on the matress without a towel. I hate that.

We also heard there was a pool service. We would have expected this to be right at the end of the street. When we enquired at the hotel, we received a card explaining us to go to the beach and to check out the Catalina Beach Club. The Catalina Beach Club is still 3 blocks away so not really close. This is not an showstopper and when arriving you can grab as many chairs as you need (the beach guy just told us which color to pick and didn't feel like doing more). But still there is a certain distance and some big boulevards to cross which does not simply allow to drop off to the beach.

Another point I need to mention is that parking in the area is literally impossible. The parking further up in the street is a rip off. They just throw any price at you depending on how much of a tourist you look like. In the end, despite the high price, the valet parking is not such a bad option and for a short stay, it's to my opinion, the best one.

The service at the hotel was good. The checkout simple and efficient. In the end, the hotel is rather expensive but you get good value. The prices are alligned with other hotels in Miami Beach and probably here, you get a bit more for the same amount.

I would definitely recommend Riviera Suites to anyone looking for short stay, with our without kids. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to go back there one day.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building at the back of the reception are very big and quite.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Good Evening Patricia P,

Thank you for being a loyal guest and returning to our hotel! We are stoked to have you for a second time around! :) It seems like you enjoyed everything that our hotel has to offer from the amenities that we offer, to the room that you were given and everything in between! Moreno's Cuba is attached to the hotel, and offer delicious authentic Cuban fare at a reasonable price. We have had many different guests stay with us, from families, singles, elderly, business people. It just depends on what the guest is looking for. We hope to have you stay with us again a third time!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed at the Riviera for 5 nights for a mini vacation with my husband. As soon as we entered the room we encountered our first problem, the room they gave us was so so small! I was sure I had booked for the one bedroom luxe suite, which was advertised as having a king bedroom with a kitchen. Immediately I called down to the FD and spoke to Valentina, I explained the issue and she said it would not be a problem to change rooms as long as we had our confirmation at hand, then we would be able to pick up our new keys at the front desk. We did just that. The young man at the front desk apologized and changed our rooms straight away, saying their system showed we booked for a different room type. Everyone was very polite and it seemed like an honest mistake on their part, but still I did not like having to move rooms since we were so tired. Our new room was beautiful, so much bigger than the first! We absolutely loved it. Just a few minutes after being settled, Valentina called our room to make sure everything was to our liking. Later we had a knock on our door from the manager Carlos. He apologized for the room problem we had and offered us a complimentary bottle of our choice, he also gave us his card and asked to please contact him if we needed anything at all. From that point on our stay was fabulous. We did not have any issues in our new room at all. My husband and I had been worried about the noise at night, since this was our first time staying in a South Beach, and we had heard horror stories from friends about the disturbances. We had absolutely no problems with noise at this hotel, I slept like a baby every night. The restaurant at the Hotel, Moreno’s, was good as well, they had live music everyday and free happy hour! We will definitely be back!

Hello there prettyinpink74,

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback with us, regarding your recent stay! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel rooms. I am delighted to know that we were able to change you to the original room that you reserved. Our team all work hard to make sure that all of our guests are well taken care of. Riviera Suites is typically more quiet then your average hotels. I see that you were able to take advantage of the amenities that we offer. Please come back again soon for another great time!

Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I cant say the room was incredible, it had its minors, but was worth for money I paid. The staff was very friendly and helpful. As it was our honeymoon, we got an complementary from the hotel. Special thanks for Arshineka!!! Definitely would recommend this hotel to a friend. Also, it has good ocation and is close to the ocean!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I had a really great pleasure of staying in Riviera hotel. My room was just perfect: big, clean and well ordered. I really liked the design and especially the music which let me feel the true party spirit of Miami. I really appreciate the helpful personnel who were always carrying of guests with a big efforts. I want to tell special greatings and thanks to Alejandro who was really giving all his best to make my stay good.

Wish you all good luck and waitting forward to see you again.

Lina

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Riviera Hotel (building #3) was the best choice that my girlfriend and I made for our vacation!
When we first opened the door to our room, we jumped up and screamed in joy.
The room was large and perfecty welcoming and clean, smelled great, the bed is super comfortable king size and the balcony was awesome.
The staff is pro and keeps everything clean and satisfactory.
Everybody is super nice!
The beach is 2 minutes walking distance.
This place is the best :-D
I'm smiling now just thinking about it :)))
Next time we go down to South Beach, we'll stay here again for sure!
Also, one of the best Cuban restaurant/outside lounge/bar is right at the hotel's courtyard called Moreno's with live music and with bartenders that will make your vacation.
Rich & Lucy from NYC

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony you can't go wrong
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
What a fabulous review Lucy V!!! Thank you for the time you took to share it with us! We are stoked that it's the best choice you girls could have made! :) Our rooms are spacious and offer everything to make for a fun filled vacation! We hope that you would make us your go-to hotel when visiting Miami again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at riviera. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. There was a minor issue at check in. I booked a balcony room through the hotels website and was placed in a standard room. I was told they were sold out of the room I paid for. The manager Ilona was very nice and gave us a dinner voucher and bottle of wine for the inconvenience. The rooms are very nice and probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. I would also like to state that Amaury Guzman was very helpful and friendly throughout our stay! The hotel is in a great location with only a short walk to beach, shopping, and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

• 4 of 5 stars
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Floridagirl251, this is one of my favorite reviews ever! Thank you so much for the five stars and the fantastic shout outs for Ilona and Amaury! You are absolutely right – they know everything there is to know about South Beach and will show you a Kanye-good time. Please let us know when you will be back and we will be sure to roll out our red carpet once again. See you soon!

Valleiry, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I m just back from the riviera and thought it was worth giving it a review.
Spent 10 days there so quite long enough to give a decent opinion.
The location is great, close to the beach, Collins avenue and lincoln Road with all the stores and restaurants.
The hotel and the room was nice, with a kitchen that was very convenient. Everything i needed was there.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the general manager who really knows how to please clients.
I would definitely go back to the riviera again, i had an unforgettable stay there, thanks again to the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your beautiful review, Adelaide D! It’s so great to hear that you had a lovely 10 day stay, and felt well taken care of the whole time. I’m glad to hear that our team took excellent care of you. They are absolutely great! Again, we really appreciate the love and hope to have you back to see us soon!