“Quiet & Comfy”

Ranked #29 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Quiet & Comfy”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My visit was during Music Week (WMC) and as such i was pleasantly surprised at how close to the conference & events i was but with basically zero noise from any of the events or from revelers in the streets.

On arrival the hotel from outside looked potentially old and withered like most European hotels end up being, the initial thoughts entering into the hotel were a bit more positive with a modern feeling check-in area, however entering the room i was taken back by the modernized look & feel of the rooms. The only part that i could really fault was the elevator, slow and clunky but on the way down the stairs were fine to use.

The room I had was large (1 bed suite) and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom very tidy and well kept. The room a friend had was a lot smaller, though i'm not sure if i had booked a different room from him or not.

Room Tip: Suites on south side of the northern building may be bigger from what i saw.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hello there Matt T,

There is nothing that we love more then to see those 5 stars and a great review! We are in the perfect location to get the quiet time that you want, yet close enough when you want the noise. Our hotel is actually brand new and very modern. I am sorry that you found the elevator to be a bit slow. I am glad that you were content with your room and the spaciousness of it. Our housekeepers do an amazing job at keeping the rooms very well kept. We hope to have you again for next years WMC.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Overall our stay was pretty nice. Me and my 2 sisters spent three nights at the Riviera Suites (Building 2). We were able to take the free shuttle from the airport which was a great perk. We came in early in the morning and apparently if you came in later in the afternoon the shuttle got full quickly and you have to wait another hour for the next. I was pleased that once we arrived at 11am they were able to let us check-in early. The staff was very nice about everything and explained all the details of the property.

One thing we were not so happy with was the size of the room. We booked the "Two Queens Are Better Than One." There was absolutely no space to move around and ZERO closet space. However, the room was pretty clean (I am very picky about cleanliness). The beds were also very comfortable and the linens looked spotless.

There is a rooftop pool at their property next door (building 3) which is very lovely. The pool is small though and they need more umbrellas for all the chairs. The free happy hour was a good deal but you would need to grab drinks from the waitress walking around rather than wait in the long line to order one.

The location isn't too bad but it's quite a walk to the excitement (The Strip). It was only a $6 cab ride though but If you don't mind walking you will be fine.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor and in one of the newer buildings (Building 2 or 3).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Belle N,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am extremely glad to read that you had an overall nice time while staying with us! I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle from Miami International Airport. We are always willing to accommodate our guests with an early check- in if we have rooms that are clean and available. Our staff is always wanting to do their best and provide each and every guest with the best customer service! I am sorry that you were not content with the amount of space that the room had. Some of our rooms are bigger then others, perhaps the next time you stay with us you can request a larger room that provides more space. Our rooftop pool is one of our guests favorite even thought the pool is a bit small. Our cocktail hour is another great amenity that we offer and though there is a bartender walking around with drinks you can also go to the bar and request something that you would like. We are a little further from all the excitement but good for when you want to escape the action, and get some quiet time. Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We were traveling from out of town and don't know the city..this is a cozy and modern and clean hotel but is an older hotel remodled. The beds are sooo comfy and the service was great. We were put in a large room which was nice but right by the elevator and people were noisy..so we asked for another room and the girl at the desk very nicely showed my husband several rooms and he picked one. The new room was alot smaller but still nice. There was some noise outside but I suppose that's what u get in a city. The bad part of our stay was the shower in the 1st room and 2nd room both had problems staying one temp. It got very cold and stayed cold for at least 30 seconds and the same with very hot. And there are 3 buildings they own so we got our car parked in one and had our 1st room in another and our 2nd room in another which are right next to each other. Also I booked on travelosity they still charged $15 resort fee and $30 for valet parking which is normal around there. The restaurants are very expensive close by but the scenery on ocean drive is very unique!

• Stayed August 2013
Good Afternoon Taylor1995,

We value all of our guests feedback and would love to thank you for sharing yours with us, and our future guests! I am very glad that you were content with the hotel and the coziness of it. Our beds are definitely very comfy and you get a great nights sleep on them! I am very glad that we were able to accommodate you with another room that was further away from the elevator. Were you able to speak with the front desk about the issue that you encountered with the temperature of the shower? We are a 3 building hotel and depending on what room type you booked determines which building you will be staying in. There is a $15 resort fee no matter which site you booked through. It covers all of the amenities that you like to enjoy R/T shuttle, complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM, WiFi, 2 beach chairs on beach and towels, etc. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

nyc
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in August and I cannot say I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The South Beach Hotel Group does boast a decent amount of complimentary amenities such as free airport transfers, a free daily happy hour, etc. but these should not sway you to stay here because those were so poorly managed it makes more sense to pay for these things.

FREE SHUTTLE -
The airport shuttle is a joke. A van pulled up when we arrived and told us she can only take 10 of us and left it up to us to duke it out to see who can get on. Everyone ran to get their suitcases in the back and those who were too slow had to wait for the next shuttle an hour later. When we took the shuttle back to the airport a larger van pulled up but once we got on we were immediately hit with the smell of stale body odor. It was 100+ degree inside the van and everyone looked miserable. Maybe the AC was broken? The two men in front of us stood up and both their shirts were completely wet with sweat. Halfway to the airport we turned around because they apparently forgot 3 guests.

HAPPY HOUR-
If you want to wait in a line that is 30 people deep for a one bartender to make you a free well drink that is your choice. It was not mine.

ROOMS-
We stayed in the lux one bedroom suite and it was very clean and nice. It was very large, I would estimate about 700 sq. feet. The bathroom was very nice too but the glass doors were broken, both would slide to one side so we showered with one door open. The biggest issue with the room was the lack of lighting. The walls are painted a dark blue color and there are only a couple lights for the entire suite. It's basically pitch black in the bedroom even with shade open in the small window. We had to use our phones as flashlights all around the room - to see inside the closet, the safe, around the couch, etc.

SERVICE
The front desk attendants were very nice when we checked in. It took us a while to get into our room because the bellmen were no where to be found for about 20 min. and they had stored our luggage. Apparently the front desk doesn't answer the phone when guests call. I tried calling 5x because there was no soap in our room but they never picked up. We ended up walking to the front desk, which was in a different building, and they seemed not to care that they were unavailable to answer the phone when it was mentioned to them. In fact, every time I tried to call the front desk no one answered and we found it faster just to go there in person.

The location is great, across from the Setai and a couple blocks to the beach. I think management just needs to get their act together.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank esk10024
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Good Afternoon esk10024,

Your honest and extensive feedback is very much appreciated for all of our future guests to read! We do offer the best amenities when staying with us, but would like to apologize for you not having an amazing time! Unfortunately we were experiencing some issues with our main van, but still wanted to provide some sort of service to our guests. After all this is a complimentary service that we offer. The shuttle does run on a first come first serve basis. Since everyone is a big fan if FREE drinks, the bar does tend to get a bit congested during the happy hour. Our bartender is very quick and efficient and can handle all the requests that come their way! If we were aware of the issue that you experienced with the bathroom door we would have definitely sent our maintenance team to take a look, and fix this issue. We do offer extra lamps for those guests who would like more lighting in their rooms. The majority of our guests like the fact that it's dark and relaxing. Our bellmen are always assisting guests and that is what they were doing when you were done checking in.

Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I made a spontaneous decision in booking this trip and i'm very glad i did. The staff was very
friendly.My room was prepared and spotless as soon as i checked in and also cleaned daily.I
spent time on the beach and when i arrived the room was cleaned,loved it.I also have to
mention a few staff members who were true professionals. They were courteous and helpful.
Roberto from the front desk helped with my shuttle arrangement to the airport and made it a
very smooth transition. The shuttle was delayed and he immediately called for a taxi without
me even asking.You may think this is no big deal but believe me I've stayed in other hotels
where you just wait and don't make it to the airport on time.i also like to thank Yolanda for
letting me stay an hour longer you have no ideal how much i appreciated that.Finally i like to
thank Suzy the bartender for making my stay memorable. She was very charming,personable
and a great conversatiionalist. Can't wait to visit again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Enrique F
Hello Enrique F,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for taking your time to provide us with yours! I am very glad to learn that you had a great time while staying with us and that you found the staff of the hotel, to be friendly. They are always going out of their way to assist our guests and make sure that everyone is enjoying their vacation!!! I will definitely make sure that the mentioned staff is aware of your wonderful praise! We would love for you to come back and stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week and it was not a good experience. The reception was super small ad busy. Finally we got through and were given a room. When we got to the room there was already someone in there!!! We went back to reception and were informed that housekeeping had given them incorrect information and they switched us to another room. We go to the other room (which was right next to the old room - awkward!) and realized that they had given us a room with a king bed instead of 2 queens! We went to reception again and they wanted to see my reservations details again! I don't understand how they could not see the information about the reservation from expedia. The reception staff always made you feel like they had no time for you. We finally compalined and got upgraded to a suite. The room was nice but then we noticed we had a few insect bites on our legs. We thought they were mosquito bites but they did not go away. Infact we started getting new ones! I am pretty certain our bed had bed bugs in it. I noticed other guests at the hotel also had some insect bites on their legs. I had to come back and double-triple was everything. I've never had bed bugs in any hotel I have ever stayed! This hotel is supposed to be 4 star but their service and room quality does not reflect this. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Awwe,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am terribly sorry that you did not have a great experience with us! People do make mistakes and I would like to apologize on the hotels behalf for the mistakes that they made. Our staff is there to ensure that you are going to have an amazing vacation, and they always have time for you even if you felt as if they didn't. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you with an upgrade to a suite! Unfortunately during the summer time here in South Florida we get sand flea, that you pick up from the beach. The bite of a sand flea and a bed bug are very similar and often times people get confused with the two. We definitely don't carry bed bugs here at Riviera Suites but it is very likely that it was either a sand flea or a mosquito, since we are in the rainy season.

milano
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Even if they had my credit card as guarantee of 2 double rooms, and EVEN if the charged a 2nd card of my parents (who arrived earlier than me) full amount of the whole stay (3 nights) they (old people) were refused to check in and kept waiting at the reception for 5 hours until my arrival. Then, after several discussion with the unfriendly and completely inneficient front door man, I decided not to stay. THey still charged my credit card as a non show and I lost a lot of money for the partial refund of the 2 credit cards (exchange rate differences). I am taking the case to court now.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel unless you want to risk a check in denial and to be victim of a FRAUD
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank italianoamigable
Hello there italianoamigable,

Your honest feedback is appreciated and we would like to thank you for it. I am sorry that you were not aware of our cancellation policy. Unfortunately we do have to charge you for the first night when you cancel and are not within the cancellation dates. If your parents were not the ones who provided their card for payment when originally booking, they are not able to check in until you arrive to the hotel. This is for your security and ours as well. We have had many cases in the past of incidents that have gone wrong, and we do protect our guests. Our staff is always getting praises for the wonderful service that they provide, so it is hard to believe that the bellmen gave you such negative service.