“Lovely decor, pity about the rest”

Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach
Ranked #48 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely decor, pity about the rest”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We found the decor of the rooms and the hotel to be of a very high standard. Unfortunately, there were a number of issues that left us feeling so unsatisfied that we checked out 3 nights early. The decor of the room was nice, but the layout was poor: no place to unpack suitcases, insufficient closet space, the sink was in the middle of the room. We also found the in-room a/c unit to be very loud... (but not loud enough to drown out the constructions works which started at 7:30 every morning) The pool area is an oasis as advertised - but that means it has no sun at all. There is a sun deck up on the 4th floor but there are no other amenities on the sun deck. Wifi throughout the hotel was patchy at best. And while occasionally friendly, most of the staff came across as "bored". Overall - not a place where we will return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Good Evening Tyzer007,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! We are very glad that you chose to share it with us! I am glad to read that you were content with the decor and personality of our hotel. I apolgoize that you experienced a number of issues while staying with us! We are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit small. We didn't want to pack the room with a lot of furniture, so that it feels claustrophobic. The construction work is something that is completely out of our control. The city is making changes to make things better for our neighborhood. Thank you so much for your honest feedback!

Kind Regards,

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We arrived after a long day flying and the staff were already dealing with an upset customer. In the two days I was staying here I saw many people with similar complaints.. Generally that other website give people rooms that "don't exist". Staff told me Expedia had allocated me just this and I would need to speak to them. I gave up and eventually they upgraded our room (to the one we had booked). On my departure I tried to point out they clearly don't have the staff or the attitude for the amount of problems (since there seem to be one every time we stood in reception), they wouldn't have it. If you stay here, your room will be lovely but expect a queue of 30 mins every time you want your car or check in and out! Frankly it turned a two night stay into a one night stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Evening Sarah M,

Your feedback is appreciated and we are glad that you took the time to share it with us! I apologize that Expedia allocated you to something else. I am glad to read that we were able to still accommodate you regardless of the mistake from Expedia. Our staff is always eager to serve our guests, which is why I find it very strange that you were given such service! We are indeed experience some long wait times for the cars from valet. The issue was resolved and we are back to normal.

We hope that you would give us another chance!!

Have a great night!

Katrine
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My stay at the Riviera was pleasant for the most part - the rooms was well-designed and comfy. Unfortunately, that's only the half of it, as the staff are both incompetent and uncooperative. I'd arranged for the shuttle to take me from the hotel to the airport on the last day of my stay in advance. However, it did not arrive at 6, and I had to make a 7:30 flight at MIA. I asked the bellhop the status, and he informed me that it would be arriving at 6:15, the latest, otherwise I'd be comped for a cab from the hotel. Once 6:16 rolled around, I wasn't going to play anymore games and asked the front desk to call me a cab. They obliged, but informed me that i t wasn't free, as I was informed by the bellhop. I returned to question that individual, and he told me 6:20 was the ultimate cut-off time. I had choice words for him, but he was too busy saying what's up to his boy to acknowledge the need of a paying customer. In the long run, I had to pay for a cab out of pocket, and the hotel left me to my own devices. Don't stay at this hotel with the expectation of good service - it's simply not there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mrod1983
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I didn't actually stay at the hotel, but while trying to book the hotel, I got the run around, and bad service. I wanted to book their presidential suite with the private rooftop terrace. I didn't want to stay the minimum of four nights, so I called the hotel to see if I could reserve the room for one or two nights. I was told by the girl at the front desk that it was possible to book the room for less than four nights, but the manager had to adjust the rate in order for me to book the room. The manager was not available that day, but I was assured that she would call me the next day so I can go ahead and reserve the room. The next day came and went with no call back. I called the hotel again to check on the room. I was told the same thing, the manager will calll you back. Still no call back. I was still interested in booking the room, but I wanted to get a preview of the suite before I booked it. I decided to visit the hotel (50 minute drive) in order to be certain I wanted the room. I called before I came, and was told the room was available for me to see. When I got to the hotel, I was then told that the room is occupied and they couldn't show the room. I was furious, I drove all that way for nothing. The front desk supervisor, Jenet, was nice enough to show me another room, and the other sun deck which was supposed to be a replica of the private rooftop patio in the suite I wanted. When I asked to speak to the manager about the room, I was again told that she was unavailable, but she would call me back. I called the next day to speak to the manager (never got a call back) I spoke with the manager breifly, and she said she would call me back with a rate for the room. I'm still waiting on that call back. I have never in my life waited a week and a half for a room rate, especially when I'm trying to book a room at $800 a night! The worst service ever. If I received this kind of service without staying at the hotel, I wonder what type of service I would get if I stayed there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We didn't actually book this hotel, but were transfered there from the sister hotel Tradewinds. Our room was on the ground floor so the sun didn't shine there at all and it was very dark through the day. Our toilet stop working two times and the wi-fi they are promoting didn't work at the room nor on the lobby, only few times by the pool. Even the hotel's own mac worked poorly. We agreed about the airport shuttle when we were leaving and checked the time twice, but it never came. Hotel did arrange us a tax half an hour later which they paid. The best thing was the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I just had one of the most relaxing and satisfying stays at a hotel in South Beach that I have ever experienced. First of all, we stayed in the 'studio edition' of the 2 buildings...and the decor is crisp, clean and the hotel lobby to hallways to rooms are immaculate. Service is superb....we even had hotel staff bringing us ice to our room, already in ice bucket, there was always someone to open lobby doors whether we had luggage or not. The pool area is unbelievable and just watch you would expect to find from the impression given of a 'south beach pool'...it's cozy, yet large enough for a good number of people to enjoy, but the furniture is arranged so that you have quiet spaces and a good separation of guests, if you want it that way. The location couldn't be better being just a few blocks from the beach (you have access to another Beach Group hotel at the beach for dining and access). The hotel is also located near Lincoln Rd, the convention center, the Bass Museum, etc. I would highly recommend this spot for an enjoyable stay. Couple of things to think about however....1) the two buildings are very different in decor...the suites building is darker and more traditional-ish as you can see from the images...the studio building is crisp, clean, white with pops of color and the rooms are modern...very nice. 2) We heard that the very beautiful breakfast served poolside is going to be discontinued which made us sad....this was one of the highlights of our visit, having breakfast poolside. I hope they DO NOT take away the breakfast. Otherwise, you'll truly enjoy the complex.

Room Tip: See above, but specifically, choose the studio or suite buildings according to the space you need an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jsullivan13
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed a week in South Beach and stayed at three hotels: the Riviera Suites, The Edge Water, and the Richmond. We stayed at the Riviera Suites three nights and were extremely happy with our stay; it was my favorite of the three. The room was a nice size and very clean with good quality furnishings, very comfortable mattress, nice pillows and linens. The décor of the hotel common areas and rooms were also very nice and modern and not the typical generic decor. The service at the hotel was excellent too. All the staff was very friendly and helpful, I was trying to keep track of names of everyone who was great but it was really everyone from the front desk to the cleaning women to the doorman! After the first day they all acted like they knew us personally and were extremely nice to our very talkative three year old. For the price the amenities and quality of the place were excellent: free airport shuttle, wonderful breakfast (fresh fruit, french toast, cereal, eggs, pastries) beach towels and chairs, great pool area, and a daily complimentary happy hour all within blocks of the beach and the heart of shops and restaurants of South Beach! There were a few negatives but I definitely thought they were overshadowed by the positives. First, while they give you vouchers for beach chairs from their sister hotel you have to pay an extra $15 for an umbrella which I thought was ridiculous and a cheap shot especially since the chairs, pillows, and umbrella were all in poor shape and you could get a better quality umbrella to use all week from a local shop for $10. Second, you do have to walk about three blocks to get to the beach from hotel however we were walking around everyone in the area anyway so a couple block walk to the beach was not a big tradeoff considering the positives of the stay for me. Third, we stayed in the studio rooms so our rooms were in a separate building across the street from the pool and breakfast not a huge deal but an inconvenience especially coming from the pool and it was worsened by the fact that there are massive construction projects going on in the street in between the two buildings. You had to walk around backhoes, skid steers, compactors, concrete trucks… and the noise outside was awful. However once inside we could not hear it at all even in the mornings when we slept in we were not interrupted by construction noise at all and once outside the doormen of the two buildings quickly tried to help you navigate the mess. Again overall for the price we paid, $88 per night, it was my top pick with extremely nice rooms, staff, and amenities. If we could get around the same price next time we go down we would definitely choose the Riviera Suites again and but do hope the construction will be completed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family