“Not for families!”

Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach
Ranked #49 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed there one night. When we arrived to the hotel, the streets looked like a war zone, completely taken by the construction. The first thing we saw were hookers walking around the hotel.The room was very small, bathroom was tiny. Even from the room away from the construction we could still here a lot of noise. Did not have any breakfast there, just wanted to leave it asap. This is not a 4 star, maybe 2. This place is not a resort, don't understand a resort fee $15? And parking is very expensive. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Good Morning Faircomments2day,

Thank you for posting your honest feedback! We apologize that you came to stay with us during the time that the City of Miami Beach decided to make things better for our neighborhood. This is only going to last a short while longer and then will be over and all back to normal! There are no hookers that come to Riviera. I am sorry that you were mistaken by the attire that the girls wear here. Lots of the women in South Beach dress very provocative which makes people think that they are hookers. We have never considered our property as a resort. We are a fun and hip boutique hotel. The $15 resort fee covers all of the amenities that you like to enjoy such at the R/T shuttle from MIA Airport, complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8, beach towels and chairs, etc. The parking is average price for parking at a hotel on the beach. You are able to take your car in and out as many times as you'd like in a day. Other garages and lots charge you a flat rate every time that you want to take your car out.

Have a great day!

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (3,149)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We spent an over night after our cruise and found this place via Hotwire. Like others have said the rooms are small but is more on the plush and trendy side of things as this is a boutique hotel. They offer a mini bar service for a price, have a large screen TV and a seperate sound system for stereo, I-pod dock and such. The hotel seemed to be on the quieter side when we were there. Aside from paying the Hotwire price you are required to pay a 15.00 resort fee upon arrival. The fee is worth it as they offer towels and chairs for the beach, have free cocktails from 7 to 8 at their bar and they provide free shuttle service to Miami International. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They provided us with restaraunt recommendations and pointed us in the right direction for some good shopping. We found a great Italian Restaraunt just around the corner from the hotel "Sylvanos Ristorante" the food and service was outstanding. The Beach is a short walk from the hotel and is a must see. I would love to return here again. Spending just a day was more of a tease for us as we went from 82 degrees to 9 below zero in Minnesota the next day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Jailere,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us!!! Thank you for choosing to stay with us after your cruise!!! Yes- are rooms are a bit smaller then the average- as we are a boutique hotel. We do charge a $15 resort fee that provides you with the wonderful amenities that you love to enjoy i.e.- complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8, beach chairs and towels, R/T shuttle from MIA Airport, etc. Our staff is always eager to serve you and we are glad that is the service that you received!! We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!

Have a great day!

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice small clean hotel. Jason at the bar was great. Good dinner rec and my wife loved his martinis. Would stay here again. Great rate through Priceline. Great weather. Smallest room ever. Decent location. Would recommend

Good Morning CJ C C,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely happy to read that everything about your stay was good- from the cleanliness of your room, to our staff and the service that they provided you! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We do have several different room types to choose from. Perhaps next time you would want to book a room type that is a little bigger in size. Our location is prime!! We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location for South Beach...the room was amazing, as was the free drinks at happy hour. The service was interesting. There is meant to free internet in all the rooms however i was unable to connect in my room and mentioned this several times. I was told that the IT dept would look into it. This never happened. On top of this the walls in the rooms are incredibly thin. I heard everything all night, the elevator, guests walking in the corridor, water running in the surrounding rooms, toilets flushing. Like i say the room was luxurious and aesthetically pleasing, however i did not get a great nights sleep as i was constantly woken by every noise in the hotel, and i am normally a great sleeper. All in all, location is great but if you are staying in the building across from the main lobby be careful...especailly if you want a good nights sleep

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Will0ldham
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Suites South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Good Afternoon Will0ldham,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad to read that you were content with the location of the property and with your room!! The amenities that we offer guests are great and have great feedback in regards to them!! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm! It's an awesome time to mingle with your temporary neighbors. :) Did you mention the noise issue to the front desk or the operator? If we were aware of this we would of definitely moved you without a problem!!

We hope that you would give Riviera Suites another chance, and let us host your next visit to South Beach!

Have a great evening!!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel was a little dark (all the decor made you feel like you're in an old library) but otherwise nicely designed. The location was great. The breakfast, as mentioned before, was weird (cookies and brownies?) and the valet once took over 40 minutes to get my car. All of that would have been overlooked, but I had two major issues with the hotel that were never resolved, so I'm annoyed enough to write a review now.

First, there is construction going on right across the street. I read the tripadvisor reviews warning of that so I called ahead when making my reservation to request a room not facing the construction and of course, they put me in a room right in front of it. I have a baby, so that was not appreciated. They promised to move us the next day and did not, so on day three I marched down to the lobby and insisted that we get moved. The front desk staff called the manager and the manager said there was no construction going on that day. Seriously?! I was awoken at 7 with bang bang bang. Fatefully, a tractor drove by the front door three seconds after she said that, and she acknowledged that there was construction when I pointed to it. I was insulted that they questioned my integrity, frankly, and it was just weird.

What was worse was that we got our credit card statement this month and I was doubly charged for everything. What is amazing is that the front desk staff denied that any of those charges were made, then promised to send me a bill showing I wasn't charged (and never did) and then when I sent them a copy of my statement, they insisted I take it up with my bank. Really?

I was not going to write a review of the hotel but that really tipped me over the edge. I'm stuck with hundreds of dollars of charges now and no help from their management.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hello Lululauren,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us! The personality of the hotel is a little dark and sophisticated. The location of the hotel is prime- in the heart of South Beach! I am very sorry to hear about the issue that you experienced with the room that you didn't get. We apologize greatly on our behalf- it was a lack of communication within our team. We do recall you calling and the manager did say that there was no construction going on as that was we were told. The head of the construction site gave us a few days that they wouldn't be working so that we were aware, and that we could let our guests know. Unfortunately, they did work on several of the days that they mentioned they were not going to. No one was trying to question your integrity. This was just what we were told and we were relaying the message to our guests. In regards to the double charge- that was a mistake with our system. We found a glitch in the system and our wonderful IT Department resolved that issue. We could indeed not see it on our end until the glitch was taken care of.
Was all of that cleared up already?

Please let me know- I would love to assist you if it hasn't been take care of already!

We hope that you would give our hotel another chance! The cons of your stay were things that were definitely out of our control.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Lets start off by saying that i would not consider this hotel a 4 star.

I may have been able to overlook some of this hotels other faults if it had not been for the SMELL! The lobby (in both buildings), the elevator, the corridors and especially the rooms have different weird scents. The rooms however were the worst. When first entering the room is smells quite strongly of urine and musk. After the second day I noticed that on top of the cabinets was an incense bottle which may have been creating or adding to the smell. Don't know who picked this musky smell but I wonder if its covering up something much worse. Gross.

Generally the rooms are cute at first glance but everything in the hotel is just kind of dingy. The pool doesn't get sun because it is a central courtyard of a 4 story building so the walls always block the sun.

Breakfast is only toast, cookies, oranges or apples and some juices. Not worth the money. I paid around $200/night and I don't feel as though it was worth the value. Especially considering other people in the hotel were paying around $250 or even $300/night.

The location is nice, however there is road construction happening between the two buildings. Makes a nice sound to wake up to when on vacation.

One other thing is that you will receive beach chair vouchers however the section of the beach where you are pointed to is run down, chairs haven't been washed and nothing is clearly marked. Again, not a 4 star hotel experience.

Generally I would never stay here again, and would make a point to tell friends and family to stay elsewhere. Very dissapointed in the money I spent to stay here. I'm not an overly picky person but believe me when I say "stay somewhere else".

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Who has cookies for breakfast? Seriously, you are in Florida, what's with the fake Orange juice? Walls are thin, we could hear our neighbours arguing and the drunks coming back at 4am not to mention the amorous rumblings overhead. The place is clean, valet service quick, valet pricing is akin to larger cities so I wasn't suprised. Decor is quirky and rooms have nice amenities. Beach is just steps away as are eateries and serious people watching. Everything is overpriced but its south beach, enjoy

Hello Agoldbergsvhsorg,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! Our breakfast is continental and provides bagels, muffins, assorted breads, coffee's, teas, and juices. We are very glad that you were content with the cleanliness of the property! The decor of our hotel is a little funky! We are within walking distance from all of the main attractions!

We hope to host your next stay to South Beach!