“Good hotel for the price”
Review of The Fritz Hotel

The Fritz Hotel
Ranked #63 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Just returned from SoBe today 9/13/10 and had good 3 night stay at the Casanova Suites. I spent hours checking out reviews for the Casanova and other hotels we decided to book at the Casanova mainly based on room size and price. Room size did not disappoint nor did the price. Years ago I worked at several high end hotels and am admittedly a bit of a hotel snob. I will begin with the con.
- Cleanliness-
Our room was cleaned once during our stay. The first day we were there we were in the room so I didn't expect much nor did I get much other than towels and trash removal. That being said, the housekeepers were very friendly and gave us a couple extra towels when requested. If you like walking barefoot in your room, bring a swiffer because they get (or already were) dirty. The place could use a little TLC. The condition of the hallways, elevator and lobby (unisex) bathroom could be off putting to some travelers.

The pros.
-Service-
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. All requests were handled timely.
-Location/Sleep Quality-
The hotel is directly across from the beach on Ocean. There is a Walgreen's one block away that sells alcohol and anything else you may need and is a lot cheaper and cleaner than some of the random markets on Collins and Washington. There is less pedestrian traffic late at night and therefore less noise than other hotels further down the strip. I was able to sleep with no problems at all. The club was going at 3 am on Saturday night and I couldn't hear much. We had neighbors each night and couldn't hear anything through the walls.
-Value/Room-
The suites are huge. Both the bedroom and living room are large. We had 3 guys in the suite with plenty of room. A family of 4 or 5 would be very comfortable here. The bathroom is also a decent size. There are two balconies, one which is not a true balcony but you can still lean out and see what's going on outside. The other has two chairs and a table, nothing luxurious but functional. If you are looking to split a room with one or a few people this place is a bargain compared to others on Ocean and many of those have NO balcony. If you are a person like me who hates tiny/cramped rooms you will not be disappointed. The king bed has a decent mattress and sheets, we didn't check out the pull out couch so I can't help you there.
-Odds and Ends-
Overall a good value for the price. You can go higher and lower on Ocean so it really is a matter of taste and what you are willing to pay. If you want to be able to sleep after the party then this is the place for you. If you never want to stop partying then you should go further down Ocean between 9th-14th. There were some brutal reviews but we didn't encounter any bugs, non-functioning equipment or general grossness other than a random wife-beater left in the closet and the floor issue. A lamp wasn't plugged in so I did it. Not a big deal. Again, a seasoned traveler may opt for a higher end hotel but a seasoned traveler may also go directly to motel 6. It just depends on what your ok with and how important a flawless lobby and hallway are when you are spending all of 6 minutes a day there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
CasanovaSuites, Manager at The Fritz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2010

Thank you for the thorough review! We are really happy to hear that you had a great time at our hotel and you plan to come back (eventually!) We always thrive to give our customers the best experience possible and we are happy to get feedback on how we performed (even if sometimes was to point out things we did wrong.)

There are newer reviews for The Fritz Hotel

Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed in room 304 August 25th-27th, and we have nothing but great things to say. We did not see any roaches. Everything was super clean and we loved the hotel. The rooms (or should I say apartments) are awesome, with a living room, kitchen and bedroom. We were with a few friends, so we had 3 rooms total. They were also very satisfied with the hotel and their rooms. One of our favorite parts was meeting Carlos (manager) at the pool, and hanging out with him for the night. If you have the chance to talk to him you'll realize that he's a person who truly cares about the guests, and wants to hear all comments (good and bad). Erick was also very helpful, outgoing and polite. When we got home we shared the photos and the experience we had with our family and friends. They were really impressed with the hotel and the stories we shared, and we will all be back next June when we get married. Not all hotels in Miami are perfect, but this place is great. Plus if you read the reviews and look at the dates, it's obvious that management is making changes and cares about the hotel and its guests. We got the feeling was that if we had been unhappy with our room, they would have done anything/everything to make our stay enjoyable. Great job Casanova Suites! :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I stayed at Casanova in early August and had a blast! They allowed us to check in early, and help our bags for us for a couple hours after we checked out! ALL staff members were friendly and helpful. Great prices, and Great location! I will definitely recommend to others and I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 28, 2010

I stayed at Casanova Suites hotel from Agust 21st to 26th. I was surprised for the great price value and quality of the spacious suites. I was treated very well as I was frequent guest, who comes here for enjoying its summer residence in Miami Beach.
The staff is very professional , highlighting the good attitude of housekeeping and the attentions of Mr Carlos at the reception.
Thank you all and I recomended this hotel to all those people looking for a place to stay in world famous South Beach
sincerely,
Osmel hernandez

Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed August 20, 2010

Due to the mixed reviews, I was open minded when I booked this hotel, and will try to be objective with my review.
I booked my reservation online and received two separate confirmations, the latter one at a higher rate than I booked. A call to the hotel corrected this. Upon arrival, I struggled to find the entrance to the lobby. As others mentioned, it was in the middle of an alley, no more than about 4' wide. The tiny sign could hardly be seen from the street.

The tiny lobby appeared dirty and dusty, and smelled musty. By this time, I was already regretting my decision to book. Check-in was quick, no real welcome there. The elevator was scary- loud, heavy sounding. The hallway to the room was in need of care. The trash can by the elevator was dirty, and the dust bunnies in the corners begged for attention.
I was pleased with the lock on my room door, it felt sturdy.
Once inside the room, I decided it wasn't so bad. A one bedroom suite, it was very roomy, and the air conditioner worked well. The kitchen was just like the pictures, only the trash can had not been emptied. The living room was spartan, with a huge stain in the curtains. The stand that held the tv channels had a sticky substance that sent me running to the bathroom, where I found a toilet that had not been properly flushed. I looked around for the amenities that were pictured on the website, all I found were 2 bars of soap, with 2 wash cloths folded into a box that had long hairs sitting in the bottom. I received amenities the next day.
The bathroom door had obviously been repaired, but was not repainted. Walls had several scuff marks, and there was one area that was patched with plaster and left unpainted. There was no soap holder in the tub, and the window ledge had accumulated dirt and scum in the tracks of the window.

The bedroom was also spacious, but I had a problem getting the lights on until I discovered both nightstand lamps were unplugged. The bed and bathroom linen were of decent quality. The bed was comfortable and clean, but has not seen a broom or mop behind it in a long time.
Checking out and moving to another hotel was not an option for me at this point, so I made the best of the situation, headed over to Walgreen's and got myself a tub of Lysol wipes. I did complain to the front desk about the toilet and trash, as well as my remote that stopped working the next morning. He promised someone would be up to take care of the remote, though no one ever did.
The bad? All the above. The website gave me the impression this place was nicer than it is....the lobby pic makes it look small and sort of modern art deco. Completely wrong.
The good? The location, just across the street from the beach.

This hotel could be fantastic once it gets it’s housekeeping in order. All it needs is some elbow grease, a mop, bucket, and paint.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2010

After reading all of the reviews prior to my trip I knew I would be submitting one upon my return home. Here is my review----Upon arriving at the hotel, we could not locate the entrance since it is in the back through a small opening. Once inside the lobby it looks a little dirty but I am going to say it was due to the beach across the street and customers coming in and out so the water from the beach in the dirt on the floor made for a muddy look. Once inside the rooms they look nice (similar to the picture) the one bedroom should accommodate 4 – 5 adults and it does as long as you like sleeping close to one another or are willing to pay extra for a roller bed. It would have to be 3 people in a bed and two on a very small sofa sleeper. My main issue was upon checkout. Although I booked online for 4 adults and received a receipt as confirmation and my balance after paying for one night I was told my balance would be $113 MORE due to the 3rd and 4th guest (keep in mind they were included on the emailed confirmation.) When I show the hotel clerk the amount on the receipt and the number of people I included they said it must have been a problem with their Internet. Since I did not want to make a scene in the lobby I paid the extra amount and will take that up with the bank, I had to include that it was paid under protest for my record on their receipt. I could not believe it, I feel like I was robbed. The clerk did apologize but having to come up with more than $100 unexpected is a big chunk especially since it was not my fault, they should get the money from the company that monitor their website since it was their fault, after all I could have stay someplace that was just as nice for less. I would not recommend this hotel unless they correct the problem, then I would be more than happy to let everyone know the outcome.

• Stayed: August 2010
CasanovaSuites, Manager at The Fritz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Dear User,

We are sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience at our property. Even though we always aim to offer the best service at the best price, sometimes things do not go as expected. We appreciate your detailed review and we will use your comments to improve our service.

In any case, we hope in the near future you stay with us to change your mind about our hotel.

Thank you and regards.

Casanova Suites on the Beach Management

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed in room 304 my wife and I had RESTAURANTS ROACHES in room 304 . My wife saw one in the kitchen I had one in my shoe the next morning and travel bag. I complain to the desk clerk and brought the DEAD ROACHES I KILLED in a napkin to show desk clerk. Left my phone number have not heard from Managers Carlos or Camilo yet. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Plus when we got home my daughter had two little one in her suit case. NOT GOOD , I,m very MADD ROACHES in suppose to be upscale Miami location.I know Miami has street Roaches the roaches I killed was indoor Restaurant/Kitchen type ROACHES I know there is a restaurant in the same building I would not doubt thats where the ROACHES are coming from. Elevator was VERY RAGGITTY UNSAFE doors ready to fall off.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family