“A Luxury hotel with Miami swank”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #17 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 20, 2011

There is a battle for the soul of South Beach between the boutique hotels and the big luxury hotels. the smart ones live in both worlds. Welcome to The Betsy.
Recently gutted and redeveloped, The Betsy is sleek and comfortable with a terrific location. It manages alot of the amenities of the luxury hotels while still keeping its personality.
One Tip: you can probably afford a suite for a little less less than you would at hotels like the Ritz, Delano, W, etc... That doesn't make the Betsy a 'value' per say, but the Master Suites have charm and worth the extra room. What's lacking? Not much of a pool and we missed not having a balcony . But, everything else more than compensated.
Extra treat that the Betsy was decked out in original Rock and Roll photos.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dylan4005
There are newer reviews for The Betsy - South Beach

Reviewed February 11, 2011

The Betsy is the Grande Dame of hotels on Ocean Drive. During the evening, a dimly lit lobby, the wafting smell of "love on a plate" at the BLT, the sound of classical music and a waiting wooden deck that overlooks the ocean, is what made our vacation a stunner! The engaging staff remembered our names and catered to our every whim. I enjoyed the melding of sophistication mixed with a touch of whimsy. The crowd that came through during the evening was the up-n-comers and "already arrived!" My favorite part of the vacation had to be sitting on the deck while feeling the ocean breeze on my face. It felt as though I owned Ocean Drive! My strong suggestion is that if you enjoy a feeling of intimacy and want your vacation to be relaxing when it needs to be and thrilling when you want to stir things up, then The Betsy is for you!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappilyDebbie
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Stayed at The Betsy from February 3-5, 2011 and had a really great time. The hotel staff and concierge were very attentive. I asked for restaurant recommendations and no less than three staffers offered recommendations, even unsolicited. It turns out the staffer I asked went to others and these staffers approached me with their own recommendations. When I settled on a restaurant for a special birthday dinner, the concierge made the necessary reservation and even notified the restaurant that it was a birthday dinner, which I forget to mention when I arrived at the restaurant. No problem. They remembered from The Betsy's concierge and presented a small birthday dessert.

The Betsy is a beautiful hotel in an absolutely perfect location on the main Art Deco strip in South Beach. It occupies a corner location and offers perfect access to the beach, shopping, and the heart of SoBe's Art Deco neighborhood. A Starbuck's is directly across the street, as well as a Haagen-Dazs ice cream shop. A perfect location to do a little people watching at the sidewalk tables while having coffee or ice cream.

The Betsy's BLT restaurant and lounge offer great service and food. Its sidewalk restaurant and cocktail tables are the best on the Art Deco strip - sophisticated and elegant without the cheesy touristy looks and trappings. The Betsy will treat you like the sophisticated traveler that you are. The rooftop lounge was amazing - a phenomenal view of the ocean and outstanding food and drink service.

My room at the Betsy was extremely comfortable and the bed was amazing. I had a standard King and it was perfect for two. The room overlooked the pool and not once did we hear any outside sounds. Each morning we had the NYTimes delivered to the room. My only, very minor, complaints would be that the room's bathroom was a little small, the shower did not have a door on it which made for a very wet floor, and the lack of a dresser for clothing. But these were very minor and really didn't impact my opinion of the room or the hotel. I would add that this room (standard King) was just fine for our stay of three days, however, an extended stay (week or more) would be better served with a larger room.

We made our reservation through Travelocity and called the hotel the day before to confirm the reservation, without a problem. All in all, we were extremely statistical with The Betsy (location, room, restaurant, service, value) and would highly recommend to others. In fact, this is my hotel of choice the next time I visit Miami Beach. The Betsy certainly lives up to its well-deserved reputation as one of the best and hottest boutique hotels in South Beach!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAL_VA
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed at the Betsy for one night in a really nice suite with an ocean view. The staff was very helpful and attentive and we enjoyed the roof deck the evening of our arrival.

The roof deck is spectacular! My wife enjoyed the beach while I took full advantage of the free wi-fi to work all day - it was a business trip actually.

A couple of things of note:
Our A/C unit was broken and could only be ON or OFF so we froze all night.
We opened our windows to warm up the room a little while the A/C cranked, and it's a really noisy street - but it is in the heart of South Beach. We knew that would be the case.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I traveled to the Betsy Hotel late in January with 6 friends from across the country to celebrate our birthdays. The hotel staff was incredibly accommodating, particularly the front desk staff and the concierge, Andrew. I called ahead to get suggestions on dining, and Andrew returned my inquiry immediately and set us up very nicely. The beach is across the street, and it is beautiful, with a beach service that was about 90% wonderful. We spent a lot of time in the lobby - it has a bar, a great restaurant (BLT), and several really comfortable seating areas. This was perfect during the chilly afternoons, a random rainstorm, we could talk, and talk, and talk, and have beverages and snacks. Everyone was very helpful, anticipated what we needed often before we asked. The one comment I have is that the double rooms are pretty small, but the beds are very comfortable. The suites are great - a standard double with a roomy additional room with a TV, Pullout couch, desk and another closet. All in all, a really luxurious boutique hotel!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank paddletennis
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I cannot say enough. From the moment we arrived, everything was awesome!

We arrived at the Betsy somewhat early (around noon) and were surprised to learn that our room was ready. When we got to our room, we were doubly amazed to see that we had a corner suite with a fabulous view of the ocean! And what a beautiful room. The bathroom! The sitting room! Even the walk-in closet exceeded our expectations! Oh, and the bed... so comfortable!!

It was our 10th anniversary which was the reason for our trip to South Beach, and we were thrilled to have received an upgrade to an ocean view suite. That made a very special weekend so much more special! We were also touched to receive a complementary bottle of champagne and a fruit tray along with a Happy Anniversary note in our room!

We had dinner on our first night at BLT, and I'm still dreaming about those popovers! Everything else was fantastic at dinner too.

The location on Ocean Drive was perfect. Close enough (and far enough) from everything! We took advantage of the chair and towel service on the beach, which was awesome!

We are so happy that we booked our weekend at the Betsy. Everything exceeded our expectations, and if we were to return to South Beach that is definitely where we'll stay! We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NaddyToronto
TheBetsyHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2011

Dear NaddyToronto,

On behalf of the entire Betsy Family we would like to say congratulations on 10 years of love. We are happy you choose our hotel to celebrate your very special occasion. Thank you for your time writing such a glowing review. Your thoughts are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Betsy.

Best Regards,

Andrew S. Girona
The Betsy Hotel
aigrona@thebetsyhotel.com

Reviewed January 16, 2011

Arrived at The Betsy just before 3PM. Greeted and the main door opened by the Doorman. No line at the Registration Desk. Clerk that checked me in was efficient and pleasant. I was informed that check-in time was 4PM and that the room was not ready. The clerk made sure that I understood the resort fee, and I thought that portion of the process was well handled....nobody likes resort fees, but again, they certainly did not hide this additional fee at all, which i appreciated. Called a bellman and they stored my luggage. Took my cell-phone number and said they would call when the room was ready. I went for a walk and had a late lunch at BLT steak while I was waiting for the room. Flat iron steak was cooked to perfection and the BBQ corn was dynomite. Shortly aftert 4PM I received a call that my room was ready,...back to the front desk, got the keys and bellman brought my luggage up within 3 mins. The room (city view) was small, but meticulous, quiet and very comfortable. Everyone that I dealt with at The Betsy was very friendly. Stopped at the rooftop and hung out there for a while...very nice. Check-out was quick and the bellman offered to get me coffee as he called for a cab. Overall, a very nice property....a bit expensive, but south beach tends to run that way....I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank PaulT65

Dear PaulT65,

Thank you for all your positive comments. We are very happy your enjoyed your time at the Betsy and of course BLT. You are are right! Their steaks are great and their BBQ corn is dynomite. I am pleased to know we will have an opportunity to welcome your return. Hopefully sooner than later.

Best Regards,