“What a pleasant surprise”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #17 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I ate at their restaurant BLT Steak a year of so ago. I remember good food but not much else. This was the first time staying there. I LOVED it. Location is ideal and its quiet even on Ocean Drive! The walk over to the beach is quick and chairs and towels were there waiting without another charge to us.

We parked in the nearby city garage and walked everywhere. No need for cars or cabs here.

The staff here were really warm too. We both noticed this while staying there. There was no one the SOBE attitude here that prevails at other hotels I stayed at there. The bar tenders were especially pleasant and again very nice and hospitable.

I would strongly suggest this place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, Director of Guest Services at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

Hello PGA2,
There are a couple of remarkable points to make regarding your review; firstly it is really on the mark regarding our staff, amenities and location. Secondly, you are a local; your words mean a lot to us. We eagerly await your next 30 minute drive down I-95 from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach!

There are newer reviews for The Betsy - South Beach

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I went to this hotel to meet a few friends there, we booked and requested to be near each other since we were coming from different states. I called the hotel they confirmed we had a room next to each other for the Labor Day Wknd. When we arrive, we were told we are on different floors. Not only were we misinformed about the rooms, we were also not informed about the $100/day incidental fee. My trip was paid in full for 5 nights. So they ended up have to take out an additional $500 on top of the $1000 that I already paid in full. If that was disclosed about their $100/day fee, I would have just booked the room for one night and paid the total at checkout. Then they would have included the $500 in my reservations and i would have only spent $1000, but they ended up authorizing $500 which basically held $1500 of my money. I think they should have disclosed this information when you book the room. Then, the cleaning crew walks in your room when you are sleep and does not even knock. I was naket in the bed and heard one knock, did not answer, (do not disturb sign is ont he door) and they proceeded to come in and I had to yell Im not checking out today because they had their information wrong as to my check out, I wasnt scheduled to check out until the next day. Then they came back again knocking on the door when I am trying to get some sleep. Then I go downstairs to order something from the menu around 9:30pm, I asked the waitress for a menu, she gives to me and goes on to help someone else, she never came back, by the time I was ready to order and asked her could i have her assistance, she tells me the kitchen is closed. WHAT! but you never came and asked if I wanted to order. Hands down, never again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank georgejoanne2000
TheBetsyHotel, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2010

Thank you for choosing the Betsy for your recent visit to South Beach. I heard about the difficulty with your reservation, not having all of your rooms together, upon your arrival. Sadly, I am sorry that although you kept in good communication with our Chief Concierge Reo Davis throughout your stay, there were other things that happened that continued to mar your stay. Regarding the $100 per day charge that you mention, this is not a charge but a standard preauthorization to cover incidental charges in order to expedite check out should you choose to use the card you presented for that purpose upon arrival. If not used, it is normally released upon closing your account, as it was this time. The housekeeping issue was also unusual, because we called (tried to call) your room twice before housekeeping finally went to the room. Even with no answer and a do not disturb sign on the door, we have an obligation at least once a day to verbally communicate with our Guests or to check on them to make sure everything is ok. I hope you can appreciate that. I truly apologize that our Housekeeper disturbed your rest. I have also spoken with our Food & Beverage Director to investigate and prevent anything like what your experienced in BLT-Steak from happening in the future. As you know, we investigated and discounted your stay to make up for these inconveniences while you were still here. This was done in a spirit of showing you what unusual occurrences they were. Should your travel plans ever bring you back to Miami Beach, we would be pleased to have you experience a more typical “Betsy Stay”. I have updated your Guest profile with the details of this stay, and would appreciate it if you would contact our General Manager, Jeff Lehman, or me, to book that future trip. We really want to win you back and give you The Betsy experience that you deserve. Jeff can be reached by email at jlehman@thebetsyhotel.com and I can be contacted via email at rdavis@thebetsyhotel.com .

We take our Guests and our service very seriously and very personally here at the Betsy. I do hope you will stay with us again, contrary to the title of your post!

Reio Davis
Director of Entertainment and Guest Services

Reviewed September 8, 2010

Not only is this beautiful hotel located in a perfect area of south beach, it has a kind staff, a delicious resturant and the beach is located acrossed the steet. When you travel to the beach they are still taking care of you! The Boucher Brothers will get your lounge chair ready , towel, and umbrella. The ambiance of the Betsy speaks for itself, it is a beautiful clean hotel with comfortable relaxing rooms. I am from a small town and every year we return to the Betsy. It's staff exceeds in kindness and wanting to make your stay memorable. They are professional and helpful whenever you have a question about the area. The location is fantastic, right on Ocean Dr. you are walking distance to South Beach's Nightlife & Resturants. You are also just blocks from Lincoln Rd. where you can eat, shop, or have cocktails. The Bestsy has been our vacation spot in South Beach since my husband and I have been married, we return every year even more happier than the year before. All vacations should be relaxing and memorable & the Betsy helps us every year achieve that! Thank you!

1  Thank LaCubanita1206

Hola LaCubanita1206,
I truly adore how you praised our staff. They really go all out for our guests. Your stellar review says it all. Muchisimas gracias y vuelva pronto!
Sinceremente,

Reviewed September 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed for four days around Labor Day and totally enjoyed ourselves. The Betsy is in a great location on Ocean Drive, up a couple of blocks from the crowded bar scene. We spent most of our time at the beach, which is right across the street from the hotel; the Betsy provides nice lounge chairs, towels and an umbrella. The hotel's staff is exceedingly nice and helpful; we got especially good restaurant recommendations from Reo, one of the staff members. The hotel also has valet parking for $30 a day, which seemed reasonable considering the impossible parking situation in South Beach.

Our only complaint was that our room, a Classic with a king-size bed, was a little cramped. We weren't totally surprised, though, since that's often the case at boutique hotels.

Overall, the place was terrific, and we'll definitely stay there again sometime.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
TheBetsyHotel, Director of Guest Services at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Hi Benmew,
It was wonderful having the two of you at The Betsy. Much obliged for the 5 star review. It really means a lot to us, so glad that we lived up to your expectations. I will have even more recommendations for you when you come again.
Many Thanks,

Reviewed September 3, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this beautiful hotel for 4 nites, upon arrival at 11 am my room way ready and waiting (good start) the front desk (Casey?) very proffesional and information. Extremely good first impression! The trip just got better and better.... Andrew the concierge and Casey sent me a litle birthday cake w/ a card Happy Birthday, much to my delite when I returned to my room later that day! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The Betsy website does not do the hotel justice...it is much prettier/charming/newer that the pictures show! I checked out the roof top patio...beautiful views! But should of spent more time up there heard the cocktails are fabulous!

I was informed the beach was all set up with chairs/umbrella included in the resort fee...for all the people that complain about the fees...Do not in this case:) The fees is reasonable for the service you recieve. The beach company Great!

The B Bar downstaris is great..I went Monday nite for "gin" cocktails..tried some really creative cocktails..over all great place good music nice people.

I found that alot of people complain about the cost of food/drinks/ etc..in south beach, I understand the 18% tipping is hard to get use to but...everyone at this hotel deserved it!

I has a friend staying at the Fountainbleau, she came to the Betsy to visit and said "Oh this is so beautiful I want to stay here!" This hotel is a notch above the rest..I have stayed in some nice hotel around the world and this one sits well in the top 3 for me!

Again I can not say enough about this hotel and any negatives other people have seemly are small and I did not experience a bad moment here...I will be back! can"t wait to go the roof top patio and enjoy the sunrise or a fabulous cocktail.! Thank you for such proffesional service and courteous friendly employees :)

Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
TheBetsyHotel, Director of Guest Services at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2010

WOW glowgirl,
I shared your enthusiastic words with our entire Team, including the hotels' owners. Your Betsy experience is what we desire for every guest who walks through our front door. Come home soon!
All the best,

Reviewed September 1, 2010

From the location, to the very friendly staff, to the incredible food to the comfy plush rooms this is one of the best hotel experiences of my life. The valet was quick and very friendly. We would just call from the room, and they already knew who I was and what vehicle I had. The restaurant BLT is amazing. We had a whole snapper that the chef caught in the ocean earlier that week! It was amazing. If you are up for the night life (since you're on south beach I'm guessing you are) then go to the hotel lounge B Bar. It has a reflective vinyl ceiling that will ripple when you touch it. So cool! Also, if you want to lay out without all the sand, then go to the roof top. It's a great view of the ocean. All in all it was a fantastic stay that I would reccomend to anyone staying on South Beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Hello jondrums,
What an awesome review. You hit all of the right notes and really summed up The Betsy Experience. That Whole Snapper at BLT Steak was a grand sight to behold! Thanks for spreading the good news.
We await your return,

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We were in Miami for a cousin's wedding party weekend. Our stay at the Betsy exceeded our expectations. Every single employee we came in contact with was smiling, always willing to help, and very accomodating. I can't say enough good things about them. Our room was very nice. The location was perfect as it was in the heart of South Beach but at a quieter end. The beach was just across the street, which was great. Complimentary bottled water in our room each day. They even had complimentary coffee or lemonade at the main desk. It is a small hotel which allows for a more intimate feeling. I will definitely recommend it and will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Hi SusieQ1981,
Your phenomenal review says it all. On behalf of The Betsy family, we say a big thank you. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.