The Betsy - South Beach
Penguin Hotel(Miami Beach)
  • Bar/Lounge
Villa Paradiso(Miami Beach)
2,839 results
All reviewsbltpopoversrolling stonesocean drivetv in the mirrorcolonial stylesouth beachrooftop deckboutique hotelboucher brothersart decobeautiful hotelpool viewturn down servicelobby barsmall hotelpeople watching
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for 4th July and were treated like rock stars from the moment we arrived until we left. Nothing was too much effort and this hotel clearly prides itself on providing a more glamorous experience than many of the other boutique hotels along Ocean Drive. It's located on the quieter end of South Beach which we saw as a bonus. However saying that, it's less than a 2 minute walk to the livelier bars along the beach The hotel bar provided excellent cocktails and the bartender was friendly and helpful as he advised us on choices. The roof bar was a little quiet except on 4th July although the bar staff were again very friendly and welcoming.

The chairs and umbrellas on the beach provided by Boucher Brothers for guests was a nice touch too.

We dined at BLT on 4th and found the food to be generous and delicious. Certainly I found the experience more enjoyable than the much hyped 'Prime 112' located on the other end of Ocean Drive.

Overall The Betsy was a delight to stay at and we would definitely return. It's not a cheap hotel however, and the rooms are a little on the compact size but the attention to detail and level of service provided by the staff makes you feel like a star guest.

Room Tip: I found the cheapest rate for the hotel was from phoning them up direct.
2  Thank BillRoths
Jeff L, General Manager at The Betsy - South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear PhilDTo,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Betsy - and reading your review, I was pleased to see that we made you feel as special as you are to us! You are right, too, in your comment that the best rates are absolutely always available to those that call direct - besides, we are big fans of the human touch, as evidenced by our service standards and Guest to Staff ratio!....Again - I'm happy you felt it!

Best regards,

Jeff Lehman

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at the Betsy in during the first week of July, 2013 for four nights.

The staff was very friendly, and attentive. From check-in, to check out we were treated very well. The hotel right now has a Rolling Stones/Beatles pictures archive on display that was very impressive and fun.

The Betsy is very small and manageable. We viewed that as a plus. The room-a double- was fine. No view, a little small, and the bathroom sink was in disrepair. But overall, it fit our needs well (those needs being a quiet, clean refuge when we're not shopping or at the beach).

The location was great. It was a short walk to get to the beach, and obtaining chairs and the umbrella at the beach was as easy as could be expected. The rooftop is very nice as well. And a great place to relax. Hotel was an easy walk to the Lincoln Rd. Mall area as well as Espanola Way and the busier Ocean Drive or Collins Ave. areas.

We tried BLT the restaurant as well--and the food is far better there than anywhere else we found on the Ocean Drive walk down the cascade of people with menus trying to coax you inside. We did run into an overwhelmed maitre de who snapped at us during a busy time. But I'm sure he feels bad about that, lol....

We really liked the Betsy. The only criticism is that if you want a pool scene (music/drinks/sun) the pool here is not that. Great for a dip to cool off. But not a place where you'd spend any amount of time.

1  Thank Hye Goes T
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Betsy is a beautiful and well-appointed hotel in the Art Deco section of South Beach. The staff is attentive and helpful. The beach is right across the street. The walls are a bit thin, but it was not a problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CassieLA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I LOVED staying at The Betsy Hotel!! Prior to my trip here I'd never even heard of it. I stayed at the Betsy Hotel over the July 4th holiday weekend. From the time I arrived to the time I left it was hands down the BEST trip I've had in a long time. The hotel staff are amazing and very accommodating. Ed Ponder, Director of Guest Services, took excellent care of our every need. The room was a little small, but who comes to South Beach to sit in the room?! Truthfully it was a good size if it wasn't for two high-maintainance women ;-) The doormen/bellmen Christopher, CJ, and Thomas were always looking out for us. Every employee we passed always spoke and had a genuine smile on their face. I splurged on a massage/body scrub on the rooftop and it was worth every penny!! The food at BLT (we had breakfast and dinner) was amazing. I absolutely fell in LOVE with this hotel and South Beach. It is a little on the more expensive side, but you will not be dissapointed. It was WORTH every penny to have such great service and meet such wonderful people. Felt sad leaving there, like I was leaving friends! But I WILL be back again very soon!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been to several other hotels in South Beach, and the Betsy is by far the best. Besides the great location, the atmosphere is cool, calming, and relaxing from the minute the doormen open the doors to the lobby. The lobby is very nicely decorated and has comfortable chairs and couches to relax -- even a few checkers games set up and the NYTimes available. The bar is very attractive (as well as the bartenders) -- great drinks served every time.

The rooms were immaculate and well-decorated. The bathroom was a bit small, but how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?

The roof deck has a perfect ocean view and breezes. The retractable sail shades provided shade when needed. Lots of comfy couches and chairs to lounge around in, and a few chaise lounges for sunbathing. A great place to take a book and read, or sit and chat with friends.

The Spa was great. It was smaller than I expected based on the brochure, but that ended up not mattering because the services were great. I had two massages and a facial during my stay and enjoyed them all. The manager/scheduler was extremely nice and accomodating. The therapists/technicians were happy and made me feel relaxed as soon as I arrived. I thought it might be too hot to enjoy the services on the roof deck, but I was wrong. With the fan going and cool towels on my neck it was perfect.

The restaurant, BLT, was fab-u-lous!!! Expensive, but worth every penny. I had the best filet mignon I've had in years. Their popovers are to die for.

The staff is simply amazing. The doormen, front desk staff, Paul the concierge, wait staff, cleaning staff -- everyone -- is helpful and friendly.

I don't know what else to say except The Betsy is the only hotel I will go to when I'm in South Beach!